ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS coming on every time when below 5mph and coming to a stop

hazkirby

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF Arctic B
When coming to a stand still ( below 5mpg) the brake pedal will kick back at me no matter what the road condition is like.

The brake fluid was changed yesterday, and the drivers side drive shaft was also changed, so I'm guessing it is to do with this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd imagine they cracked an ABS ring when fitting the drive shaft.

If it wasn't like it before you had it fitted, take it back to the garage who did it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wasn't aware you could get non-gen driveshafts for 172/182s??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ABS sensor isnt reading, the reasons for this are often that its a wiring issue with the sensor, when they undid the hub and moved it they may have put some strain on it and as they are old and rotten they can fail, or as above the ABS ring was damaged or replaced with the wrong type.

Audi A5
Strange, Would of thought the abs light Would come on if the abs ring is cracked.

As Daniel said just take it back to who ever fitted it and get them to sort it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wont be incorrect number I wouldnt think, but the different models have different profile rings.

If its just the sensor has stopped working from being disturbed then he will need to buy a new one, its not the garage fault if the sensor wiring is old and rotten and doesnt like being disturbed, happens quite often.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
If it was a sensor the abs light would be on, when your order a replacement ring through (jr) a company that sell on eBay they ask you to specify how many teeth, just a thought as if one wheel has 43 teeth and the rest 44 the abs will be confused into thinking that a wheel is skidding, just the same as when the rings crack it opens up and in theory adds another tooth, either way its clearly to do with the side that has had the shaft and should be simple enough to find.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No the light doesnt always come on when its the sensor, ive had them where the ABS takes the pedal away from you but the light doesnt come on when its been a faulty sensor.
The light comes on eventually, but not always straight away.

hazkirby

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF Arctic B
Hi

Thanks for the responses.

I bought the driveshaft new from jr as here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130613528995&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and had a mechanic friend fit it.

Also after further testing I turned the abs off and still get the same issue.. if it there was a difference in the amount of teeth then I'd feel the issue all the time, not just when I'm doing < 5MPH..

Tested emergency braking from 40MPH to 0 and the car stops really well, until about 3MPH when I can feel it 'slipping'.. very strange.

hazkirby

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF Arctic B
Hi

Thanks for the responses.

I bought the driveshaft new from jr as here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130613528995&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and had a mechanic friend fit it.

Also after further testing I turned the abs off and still get the same issue.. if it there was a difference in the amount of teeth then I'd feel the issue all the time, not just when I'm doing < 5MPH..

Tested emergency braking from 40MPH to 0 and the car stops really well, until about 3MPH when I can feel it 'slipping'.. very strange.
Of course I didn't turn the ABS off... can't do that can I duhhhhhh

S4 Avant
My moneys on a cracked ABS ring. Mine started doing it and I noticed one of the front rings had a lovely crack in it. Never bothered fixing it, just made do.