ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AAAh cambelt snapped

Clio 172 FF
Was driving to work today, and complete loss of power at around 6k rpm ( was getting up speed on dual carridge way).

It looks like my cambelt has gone, i have looked in the oil cap and there are bits of metal in the head.

Has anyone got any experience with cam belt snaps on these engines. Its a 2002 172, the car is pretty mint with 55k on the clock ( has had a cambelt 10k ago so didnt expect it to snap).

Will i need a whole new engine, i know it broke at high rpm but will it have broken pistons?

What do you lot think i should do?

Sell as complete car or fix it and then sell it?
DSC00313.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Was driving to work today, and complete loss of power at around 6k rpm ( was getting up speed on dual carridge way).

It looks like my cambelt has gone, i have looked in the oil cap and there are bits of metal in the head.

Has anyone got any experience with cam belt snaps on these engines. Its a 2002 172, the car is pretty mint with 55k on the clock ( has had a cambelt 10k ago so didnt expect it to snap).

Will i need a whole new engine, i know it broke at high rpm but will it have broken pistons?

What do you lot think i should do?

Sell as complete car or fix it and then sell it?
DSC00313.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

the person who Completed the cambelt Should have offered a warrenty although 10k will probably negate that- if it was renault you may have a chance-

depends on the overall condition of the car ON PAPER & in terms of actual Condition-
As 172 Cups vary in terms of Sale price-
If its perfect nick 2 or 3 owners, FSH etc then get an engine replacement -
If its not particularly good cut your losses & run-
Bad luck- :(

S

Clio rt 1.4
many valves will be bent matee :( get the belt off get the head off get it preasure tested and skimmed then new valves and yh belt check yh water pump mate see if it has any play in it

the person who Completed the cambelt Should have offered a warrenty although 10k will probably negate that- if it was renault you may have a chance-

depends on the overall condition of the car ON PAPER & in terms of actual Condition-
As 172 Cups vary in terms of Sale price-
If its perfect nick 2 or 3 owners, FSH etc then get an engine replacement -
If its not particularly good cut your losses & run-
Bad luck- :(

S

It's not a cup..

If it was MINT. So no scatches/dents, cambelt done, good tyres all that jazz, then you'd get £4k.

With a fucked engine, you'll be lucky to get £1000.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
It's not a cup..

If it was MINT. So no scatches/dents, cambelt done, good tyres all that jazz, then you'd get £4k.

With a f**ked engine, you'll be lucky to get £1000.

yep & based on that an easy decision..... theres always plenty of 172 Engines & running gear kicking round the Bay of E ness-

Maybe a CAT C or D car that is sold on from having a big rear end shunt.....

S

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
whatever you decide tom , i may be of some help to either help you repair or buy it off you , pm me if you wish.

Clio 172 FF
Yeah the car is pretty dam mint, it has extensive service history, serviced every 5k, 11 months mot etc.

I may take you up on that offer andy, what sort of hours are involved in changing the engine?

Where you based andy?

What are the chances it will need a complete engine or just a top end?

Tom

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
im in kingston upon thames , would need to have head and check first , but considering the speeds revs , i would thimk there will be piston damage , and maybe bore damage , so thimk engine till head is off.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
WHO DID THE CAMBELT !!!! ?????

You should be talkin to them 12mths warranty on part if it genuine reno !

Black Gold Trophy
Unlucky, however the bargains that can be had on second hand engines, its probably not work thinking about rebuilding the head alone.

Clio 172 FF
Hello

Sorry i haven't updated this i sort of lost the thread and with having to find a new car forgot to update.

I am unsure who did the cambelt as there is a stamp in my service book with a combelt stick showing it was done but no garage. I havent checked to see if the cambelt has snapped as i havent even really touched the engine, it could well be something jamming the cam etc.

The aux belt is all good and i cant see any signs of the belt snapped but i havent taken stuff off it so could be any thing

I have lost love with the car and am going to sell it as a non runner unless anyone will fix it at a reasonable price as i keep getting massive labour bill qoutes.
So if any one knows anyone who would want to buy the car complete or can fix it at a fair price then please pm me and let me know

Been driving around in this bad boy

DSC00639.jpg

Clio 172 FF
Cant be bothered if i am honest, heard some nasty storys about how big a job it is and i have just lost that thing where you dont mind working on them as it has just broken and been left, just cant be bothered on it

Clio 172 FF
Had a offer from another member on here but seems as though it might fall through.

I was looking for around £1500 because it has 10 months mot or 600 miles ago, 2 pirelli p zero nero tyres again 1000 ago and a massive full service history and only 56k on the clock. The car is 99% perfect and everything is working order, interior is perfect, literally only down side is engine.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I got 280 miles before mine snapped doing a full limiter change into 5th - hence mine was severly damaged!

Should have fixed it properly thought shouldn't they!