ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A year of the Z4 - Review

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Copied from Z4-forum.com

Well, it’s been a year now since I picked up the Z4! Although last Jan certainly wasn’t as snowy as it is this yr! Argh!

Anyway, I thought I would produce a short write of my experience to date, complete with costings. I hope this can be useful for potential buyers and guys who have just bought the car.

I have previously only been a Renault owner, ranging from my first Clio 1.2, to a Williams, RS 172’s and currently V6. In a lot of ways my passion for the V6 still remains. I’ve had it for over 3yrs now!

At the end of 2008 I decided that I wanted something a bit more refined and useable. I had been in current employment for near on a yr and was fairly comfortable in the role. The choices for ‘said’ car were limited. I’m not a Jap fan at all and for my budget £22k, the Z4MC ticked all the boxes. My original intention was to buy a Car around April time to avoid the grotty Scottish winter. But alas I got bored of the 172 I bought for winter VERY quickly.

On wed the 28th Jan, I spotted a car on Pistonheads, also a Z4-Forum members. http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8708&p=133918#p133918 it was in the colour I wanted with a relatively low mileage and a good 10k away from any hefty servicing expense. That night I bit the bullet and raised the required money. I booked a flight to Cardiff and was met and greeted by Phil. (Top man) I was taken immediately on face value, given that all the banks were all closed that day and I handed over 22k’s worth of a bankers draft…then again, I’d like to think I come across trust worthy. We gas’d about cars for about an hour, signed all the relevant paperwork and then I was on my way…Cardiff to Glasgow in one go! YAWN…Long bloody way, by the way!! Anyway, taking it easy for the first hour, I got the opportunity to play about with the toys, the awesome Logic 7 stereo and the sat nav., which is still a mystery to me tbh! I was returning a comfortable 31mpg at 70mph! I’ve not seen that figure EVER again! Lol

Anyway first impressions of the car was the solid feel, the immediate power and sharpness of the throttle on sport, with a couple of silly bursts I was assured that it was “nippy!!!”

Anyway. Returned to Glasgow in this state…Yuk! And I was immediately on with Stage 1 of the detail. (thanks to Alan for the assistance in -1deg temps)

IMG_2342.jpg

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9040

On inspection my only gripe with the car was a minor scuff on the front bumper…it wasn’t correctable without inflicting more harm than good. With a minor wet sand and polish it was looking better but not perfect. I was convinced after the detail that the car had seen paint before, so I took the bumper off, all the brackets looked fine, so I assume it was just given a “poor” front end respray by the 1st owner. (Not Phil)

At this point I was considering modding the car…I really need to grow out of this! But given the initial outlay I decided to enjoy it for a while…Plus the weather was crap anyway.

With a couple of months passing, I still wasn’t 100% comfortable with the car, I’m not sure what it was, but I didn’t really feel apart of it. Whilst it was hugely fast and handled very well, I felt it lacked soul…(I still feel this now) Problem was I was continually comparing it to the V6 which is radical looking and so so rare. The V6 has the noise and presence which I crave every time I hit the road… Once I accepted that it was never going to be that, I started to enjoy it more…bizarre but true

Here come the faults….:(

Well I suppose the joy of warranty is to get everything rectified in the given time frame.

• Broken Engine mounts - £400 circa
• Broken Alternator - £300 circa
• 2 sets of Lamda sensors. - £500 circs
• Gearbox end seal. (Box out job) - £200

Nothing major, but unexpected!! He who says BMW’s are bombproof were clearly telling fibs. Anyway, duly fixed by Aberdeen’s John Clark and a courtesy car provided on each occasion. This left me with a very satisfied impression of the BMW dealer network.

Driving the car

Given that I’ve always driven lowered cars, or sports cars with coils, the perception of smooth ride differs from person to person. I personally never found the M to be uncomfortable. And with the Eibachs, it’s visually improved the car whilst maintaining the handling characteristics. I’m yet to track the car, but I have the utmost confidence in the balance and poise of the chassis.

The performance is as you would expect from the M cars, fast, both low down torque and top end power. Nuff said really. I drive with Sport mode on all the time once moving, but not in traffic. The Lazy pickup due to the FBW does annoy me.

The biggest let down for me is the gearbox, it’s tiresome and clumsy and after tryin the SMG, I wish they’d gone down that route. It’s bearable but not great.

Snow driving – LOL! Lets not go there…s**te to be quite polite.

Couple of pics from the year.

Z4M31.jpg

2-3.jpg

Z44.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

Costs…

Up to now the core costs have been Inspection 1. – Circa £660. This was done in Aberdeen; I made every precaution to ensure the work was carried out properly. That included a sneaky painting of a couple of bolts to ensure they carried out the critical valve clearance checks. Pathetic I know, but my trust in dealers, esp. with less than 6 months of warranty left is not what it used to be.

Insurance – I was 23 when I bought the car, as part of a multi car discount it was £664 for the yr. I have just renewed it and it’s costing basically the same £646 iirc, but that includes a lower excess and the elevated VAT.

Fuel costs – meh. (Ignore this section) but if you really want to know. Approx 16-18mpg in town traffic, 26-28 on the motorway at 80+ Approx 250 to a tank of £53 pounds.

Image000.jpg

Tax - £225 for 6 months!

Costs to come will include rear tyres. Currently I have PS2’s which will NOT be replaced, not for 300+£ a corner. I have Vredesteins ready to go on which cost £182!

Additions…

Since owning the car, I have made a number of visual changes to the car, imo, all for the positive. I had the front end and sills resprayed as there was some chips and that scuff to the front bumper, I also had them smooth the front end. (Personally I love it, I appreciate it’s marmite to some) and I fitted Eibachs and CSL wheels to beef it up a little.

Frontangle.jpg

Stage 2 detail was a bit more intense.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14093

Future additions coming very soon – Carbon Roof and Meistershaft rear boxes + A13 LYR (Thanks Santa) Maybe….8 pots…Maybe,!!! At some point you have to know when to draw the line!!

Overall opinion

After a bit of a negative start, I’ve grown to really like the M, it’s a great daily driver, it looks great, it performs well, and it carries a great image. It gets the looks that it deserves with the mod’s I’ve made and I enjoy driving it, be it to work or for pleasure. Given that I paid 22k for it, after 6k miles, I’ve not lost any money; in fact, I reckon I could sell it for more than I paid for it. Bonus! 

IMG_5703.jpg

(Apologies for the shocking grammar and spelling but I hope this has given you a flavour for the car)

Ali

Last edited:
  Turbos.
Look at you all sensible on your other forums. Slut.

Totally agree with the whole BMWs being reliable myth! Get a warranty or you are in for a bum raping!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Got bored with your 172, I'm glad cause I'm enjoying it! ;)

lol. oofttt, glad i never mentioned about the clocked, CAT D 172 i sold to you!

And in real life hot stuff. ;)

Ney bad write up though. :approve:

lol! Fcuking love your face

Never been a fan of the sleepy front end, but it looks much nicer on those rims.

yeh, i know where you're coming from, i love the back, and the front looks better now without the stupid plate mounting! Becuase it's a Yank import model the holder was a total afterthought. Much like Alfa and their plates!

Rims do make a hell of a difference.

Very honest! Looks 10x better on the CSL's.

As much as I appreciate how good a car it is, I've never really liked it enough to WANT one. Think its the 'soul' you mention. I'm not keen on the front end looks either.

I like the steering wheel though!

E87 118d M Sport
nice read.
does look spot on! wheels look MUCH better. and the 2nd detail made a nice difference!
good to hear that you havent lost any cash on the original cost of the car (forget the money spent on it).

whats next then.....if there are plans?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So did you take the no plate plynth off and fill the holes in Ali?

Looks great and cracking write up.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
nice read.
does look spot on! wheels look MUCH better. and the 2nd detail made a nice difference!
good to hear that you havent lost any cash on the original cost of the car (forget the money spent on it).

whats next then.....if there are plans?

For the Z? - Number plate on thursday, fecking DVLA are only open Mon-fri...Although i've changed my insurance to A13 LYR...hummm..

Roof & Exhaust...I fancy a gruppe M, but it's a seriously cost, near as damn it a grand. Would love brakes, but again cost is too great.

Whats next...get my fcuking bathrooms decorated in my flat! lol

So did you take the no plate plynth off and fill the holes in Ali?

Looks great and cracking write up.

Aye. They got it right 2nd time round. There was a tiny imperfection, so i made them do it again! They'll probably never touch the car again! lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whats the plate setup on the front now then?

Stunning car, i'd love one just for the driving position.

MON

titty cup'd 182
I think it's fab and I love the subtle mods. you have made :cool:.

By the way, insurance premiums are only subject to Insurance Premium Tax (IPT @ 5%) and not VAT.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Whats the plate setup on the front now then?

Stunning car, i'd love one just for the driving position.

I remember you commenting on the Driving position before...It is very good. Esp for short asses! :) Almost Integra like, but without the side support.

No plate at all, as per pic.

I think it's fab and I love the subtle mods. you have made :cool:.

By the way, insurance premiums are only subject to Insurance Premium Tax (IPT @ 5%) and not VAT.

Oh really...Interesting. learn something new every day!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'll 100% get busted...it's just 'when'...And it's a £60 fine now not 30.

Every time i pass traffic i brick it, but it looks awesome without it...If i get stopped, i'm not going to make excuses, i'll just accept the charge and put a plate on thereafter.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
nice write up, is the forum a posh one?

No. very helpful for technical based stuff. Also very american as you would expect. It's a friendly site, i would advise people to join if they want advice.

E87 118d M Sport
"Sorry officer. Th' motor looks sae muckle better wi'oot th' plate. Cannae ye let me aff. Juist Wance. A'll gie ye a reach around"

Trophy #490
:lolup:

'Chewin' the Fat' and 'Still Game' are the two greatest programmes ever made! And that's coming from an Englishman!

The Z4M looks absolutely brilliant. You got it for a great price, too. Almost a bargain when you consider the power, looks, and prestige it possesses.

fiesta 1.25
Epic. Looks great on them wheels.

I love these and can't understand why more people don't like them. Ive never driven one myself but for the price i think its a very special car. If you still have it in a year give me a shout.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
nice one fella.

just carry a plate in the car with some sticky fixers a bit fuzzed up and you'll be okay if you say it fell of i reckon!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
could you no get a stick on plate like those classic cars like x-types for example, or are those illegal now.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol. I really don't want to put a plate on it, but i will if i need to and it will be a sticky plate. (Which i believe are also illegal)

Cheers for comments, should of said, if you have any questions that i've missed, ask away! Or if you want a spin or a go, just gi's a shout! :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Madness, but i still prefer the Halfords kitted Laguna! For a whole lot of reasons that make no sense to me...

Awesome read. I've set myself my goal to save up for one of these, from the start of this year, and I'm going to buy one on my 23rd birthday (two years time). Currently 1K in the bank! But knowing me my mind will probably change by then ha.

I know it's a long way away, but my mum has a 2.5 M tuned, and I absolutely love these cars. Reading that made me want it even sooner!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
LOL! very close encounter with the polce today, guy pulled a U turn, followed me for about 2miles, whilst typing stuff into his computer. Then he turned off...bizarre!! Are traffic allowed to approach you if they are on their own??

Time for a sticky plate me thinks! :(