ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A damn good thrashing!

Yeah I don't take it over 3k until it's been running a few minutes. Doesn't see over 5k until it's been reading normal temp for a while.

Alas this means I don't get to push it on my daily commute. It only takes me 10 mins to get to work.

320d
They're built for it. Once warm my 172 used to see 7rpm almost daily. I didn't used to do it in 1st though really because the 'boxes and engine mounts don't tend like it, maybe this has been improved in the mk3's?

LY R26 #288
I have only had my Clio a couple of months and I love it. When I first got it I didn't like to give it too much crap, I don't know why. It just feels like its absolutely screaming its tits off when your at 6-7k.. But now I'm getting to the point where I don't worry too much about waiting for the shift light to illuminate lol. I think the new exhaust helps it out a bit in the higher revs so doesn't sound so much under strain anymore!. I tend do drive it normally to work and back during the week but its only a 10 min commute.

At the weekends its a different ball game though. Still feel a bit guilty about how I drove it last night though :( lol

RS RIP
Yeah I don't take it over 3k until it's been running a few minutes. Doesn't see over 5k until it's been reading normal temp for a while.

Alas this means I don't get to push it on my daily commute. It only takes me 10 mins to get to work.
10 minute drives will kill your engine sooner than 100000 miles of thrashing

Fiesta ST-3
Just finished a night shift and on the way home took a detour and gave the cup a bit of a thrashing. Now is it just me but afterwards i felt guilty that i have thrashed it, does anyone else get this? :eek:

Errrr wtf? I just noticed you have a picture of my car as your avatar? How does that work?

172DD Cup
since i've had my gearbox replaced twice since november, i drive miss daisy alot more :) still redline it sometimes but don't hash through the gears as fast as i can

Megane 225 F1
I always get out my car after the thrashing and don't look forward to getting in it the next day in case I've broke something. But then the next day comes and I get in it and give it hell again.

Yeah I had an argument with the gf and went out and gave the car hell after that. After returning home I felt bad and took it easy the day after. It's always good to give it some now and again.

172DD Cup
Yeah I had an argument with the gf and went out and gave the car hell after that. After returning home I felt bad and took it easy the day after. It's always good to give it some now and again.

i broke my gearbox doing that, never again

Nothing at the mo :(
Yeah but it's not like I have much choice is it?

Short of cycling/walking to work... which I can do in summer but f**k doing it in winter!

LoL im the same lol. i live 1 mile from work.. i always walk in the summer, but fuk walking atm.. il get wet everyday lol

RS RIP
^^ well, that attitude is ruining a good engine ;) When worrying about damaging your car, do'nt take your car to work anymore but take the bike ! no matter the weather. These short trips are a lot, lot worse then a good thrashing. Actually , my knowledge is that these engines NEED the thrash to stay in good health

Nothing at the mo :(
i dont have a bike.. like i said i usually just do the 30 min walk to work.. but atm its raining everyday and i dont wanna get wet. only just got ridden of a bloody cold lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I feel alive when I thrash mine, and feel guilty if I don't get an opportunity to drive it HARD.

They need to be driven hard, they'll thank you for it in the long run.

LY R26 #288
^^ well, that attitude is ruining a good engine ;) When worrying about damaging your car, do'nt take your car to work anymore but take the bike ! no matter the weather. These short trips are a lot, lot worse then a good thrashing. Actually , my knowledge is that these engines NEED the thrash to stay in good health

lol how did you come to that conclusion? that they need a good thrashing to stay in good health?.

These short trips are a lot, lot worse then a good thrashing. Actually , my knowledge is that these engines NEED the thrash to stay in good health

This ^.
My drive to work is 45mins including A5 so it gets a real nice run.
I know people that plod around teh village and thats all, you should see the yoghurt around inside the oil filler cap.
Engines need to get thorougly warm to clean itself out.
I'm constantly telling my mother to take her car for a good spin, she never does :(

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Even when I'm in the mood for being gentle, any sign with a black line through it, or motorway sliproad, and I'm down to 2nd and off I go. Then on goes the cruise control and I sit at 60/70 :)

Albi blue 197
i feel bad when i thrash it a bit then turn engine straight off when i get in instead letting turbo cool like it should really uhohh

Silver surfer
Hell no - she's dirty and she loves it! why have something that goes like a hot hatch, then drive it like your dad's volvo?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Mine needs a good thrashing, only 24k on the clock driven by an 80year old guy never saw above 50mph, when I got it a couple months ago the mpgs said 43... WTF I have never seen more than 30 odd!! Paul at RSTuning said it needs to be loosened up so loosen it up I will!! :)

CLIO 172 CUP....
incy-spider.....i see your location is (barnstaple devon) used to live ther my self and ther is some nice road around ther for you to give your 182 abit of a thrashing to get it lossen up....;)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, I have the Bratton Ring and the Blackmoorgate Ring!!! Me and my mates know it too well, been our 'track' for a long time! (not to say we drive fast - that's just stupid :/ ) where were you based?

Arctic 182 & PB 172
They just beg for it dont they? I felt bad after giving the swift sport a sound hiding but the 182 just seems to laugh and beg for more!

Nimbus Clio 200 Cup
Have to thrash it now and again, that's what they're good at, not built for comfort!

May be a silly question, but I get a strange noise when changing gear at full revs, sounds like a dump valve chirp/waste gate sound, is that normal?! I know it can't be a dump valve, but interested as to what causes it.

RS RIP
first to second ? difficult and maybe destructive full rev gearchange that one.. Yeah this could get noisy

I try to sort of "skip" full revving in first, take it to second right where the torque picks up nicely in that gear. Then second gets it's teeth thrashed off to the red.

Nimbus Clio 200 Cup
first to second ? difficult and maybe destructive full rev gearchange that one.. Yeah this could get noisy

I try to sort of "skip" full revving in first, take it to second right where the torque picks up nicely in that gear. Then second gets it's teeth thrashed off to the red.

No, more noticeable from 2nd to 3rd, definately sounds like an air noise, a "chirp" noise is the best way i can describe it. Im not keen on thrashing it in first gear either!

It makes it when dipping the clutch to change gear after taking it to 7k ish revs, puzzling.

LY R26 #288
No, more noticeable from 2nd to 3rd, definately sounds like an air noise, a "chirp" noise is the best way i can describe it. Im not keen on thrashing it in first gear either!

It makes it when dipping the clutch to change gear after taking it to 7k ish revs, puzzling.

Maybe its just the engine moving and making somthing squeek? mine seems to do this when accelerating/letting off but even at normal driving speeds. its annoying!. Could be the flexi joint in the exhaust squeeking?.

mx5 & 172
my exhaust rattles like a t**t at 4k so it gets run at under 4k til it's warm and then it's not allowed under 5k until I get where I'm going.

and guilt? b****cks

Nimbus Clio 200 Cup
Maybe its just the engine moving and making somthing squeek? mine seems to do this when accelerating/letting off but even at normal driving speeds. its annoying!. Could be the flexi joint in the exhaust squeeking?.

I have a vid on the following link, you can hear the noise in both gear changes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2UjVIEvBIA

It doesnt sound like a problem, i like the noise, but dont know what causes it

Fiesta ST2
sounds like I'm quite "lucky" I live 15 mins or so away from the motorway and travel down it every day to get to work.. takes 45 minutes to get to my job.. at the 15 minute mark after its nicely warmed up (lots of starting and stopping and changing revs) I boot it round the roundabout on to the motorway and bring it up to a nice 70mph quite quickly although I only tend to go to 6k rpm as its not fully warmed up then about 30 minutes in to my journey I hit a dual carriage way from lights which if i'm honest I nail it on just to make my day start well (close to 8k rpm... not speeding as if i was caught it wouldn't be a good start to a day!).