ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98p a litre to fill the clio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise it takes more than 20 quid, Or a full tank for your ECU to adjust to higher octane fuel?
I did. What i was trying to say is because 95 obviously looks cheaper i tend to go for that as you think you are saving money when you aren't really.

Tesco Momentum is 111.9 at my local. Used the clubcard to get 10p off which ended up getting it to 101.9. Was nice to see a pretty close number match per cost and the amount you've put in rather than the massive gap appear. Still cost me £57 to fill up the meg D:

I hate the fact fuel is so cheap. Just cost me £16,400 a year cut as I work in the oil industry! Jobs are drying up so no need to pay a retention bonus for us to stay so they have taken it off us. :(

I hate the fact fuel is so cheap. Just cost me £16,400 a year cut as I work in the oil industry! Jobs are drying up so no need to pay a retention bonus for us to stay so they have taken it off us. 😧

This makes me feel good lol I don't earn much more than that a year haha

Good job with LOADS of time off but It certainly don't pay well!

Sounds like Southend are being tight asses which is unusual. Shell should charge a flat rate countrywide oh and the government should charge 5% not 50 odd. Oh and I should own a Ferrari. So basically none of thats going to happen.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
This makes me feel good lol I don't earn much more than that a year haha

Good job with LOADS of time off but It certainly don't pay well!

Depends what end of the industry your in and how risky or oil price / weather dependant it is. Some guys only get work in summer months and on projects etc. Others when companies are willing to spend millions on drilling programmes.

By losing your retention im guessing you were adhoc anyway, which in itself is a risky situation and got to be prepared for having little or no work

Unfortunately as most people say; "you live to your means" and as I have been earning more I have been spending more. You get used to what you get so any cut makes things difficult when you have high outgoings. It doesn't mean I am going to have to sell the house and cars but it does mean this Race Car Clio will be a slower progression than I had first hoped. At least with fuel being low I can put more in it and just enjoy driving it as it is.

Perhaps I should go around fixing all the s**t residential roads around my way and charge them an extra 60% plus VAT then lol

Clio Sport 172
Normal unleaded is 105.9 around here (Derby) but apparently down to 97.9 at a chain of garages over towards Birmingham :-o think V-Power was about 114.9 which is still pretty good!

Only filled the car up once since buying it, do you guys see much of a difference with premium petrol rather than standard?

I've only driven Canvey in recent years in a transit and it was a work vehicle so I didnt give a s**t lol

The main roads round here aint too bad but the normal residential roads are a joke. The HGV's have made gouge marks with their weight and the route I take to my sons nursery is basically like im an F1 car warming my tyres up how I dart around all the bumps!

normal unleaded is 105.9 around here (Derby) but apparently down to 97.9 at a chain of garages over towards Birmingham :-o think V-Power was about 114.9 which is still pretty good!

Only filled the car up once since buying it, do you guys see much of a difference with premium petrol rather than standard?
Never noticed a real peformance gain but there is a definate improvement in mpg.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Fifth gear tested it on a Golf GTI. Here's the difference it made:

Asda unleaded - 235.8bhp
BP unleaded - 236.1bhp
BP Ultimate - 236.7bhp
Esso Supreme - 240.5bhp
Shell V-Power - 240.9bhp

So yes, it makes a difference, however you really arent going to notice 5.1bhp on the road, and the differerence in something like a 172 is going to be even less due to N/A.

The main thing is that many cars are mapped specifically for super unleaded, especially modified cars. If I run my car on std fuel it runs like a bag of nails, however before I had it mapped std fuel was fine.

Fifth gear tested it on a Golf GTI. Here's the difference it made:

Asda unleaded - 235.8bhp
BP unleaded - 236.1bhp
BP Ultimate - 236.7bhp
Esso Supreme - 240.5bhp
Shell V-Power - 240.9bhp

So yes, it makes a difference, however you really arent going to notice 5.1bhp on the road, and the differerence in something like a 172 is going to be even less due to N/A.

The main thing is that many cars are mapped specifically for super unleaded, especially modified cars. If I run my car on std fuel it runs like a bag of nails, however before I had it mapped std fuel was fine.

Did they do Tesco or anything else as well? Interested to see how Tesco faired, as that's all I have that's close!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I love those fuel tests. One car and one set of atmospheric conditions. Not hugely conclusive as far as I'm concerned! I don't care either way the V-power isn't too expensive for my mileage so I just use it. I do wonder how the fuels perform under a range of conditions. From a stinking hot track day, humid as hell soaking day, cold short trips, long motorway stint in the winter, in gear pulls again in various conditions, part throttle pick up and so on.

My old 106 diesel would do around 58 flat out in 4th on supermarket diesel up a local long national speed limit hill but would top out at around 62 on V-power. I did that journey fairly regularly over a 5 year period and it would always pull better up that hill on V-power diesel. Standard injection pump timing. I still don't consider that conclusive evidence as there are so many variables but interesting none the less. Ran fine on boggo fuel.

I miss that little engine. Had worked it ass off permenantly for 135,000miles when I sold it running sweetly, never complained, never smoked and revved to 5K which is surprisingly high for a little N/A diesel.

Going off topic again.......

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Sainsbury's Super unleaded petrol varies in its RON between 97 and 99 depending on the supplier. All super unleaded RON changes downwards depending on how long it has been since production and the time it has sat in the underground tank at the petrol station. Whatever the price, it's still a big rip off (Government taxation, OPEC cartel, Russian gangsters etc).

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'm going to treat the Ecoboost to some proper fuel this month, see if I notice a difference in performance/economy.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
5th Gear - High Octane Fuels:

Different fuels, tested on different cars, one being a Clio

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I've used both stick to the cheaper stuff usually now as it seems pointless tbh lol.

Also I'm too baller to even bother checking the price when I fill up, costs what it costs end of the day doesn't it if I was that hard up I'd get a more economical car.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I've used both stick to the cheaper stuff usually now as it seems pointless tbh lol.

Also I'm too baller to even bother checking the price when I fill up, costs what it costs end of the day doesn't it if I was that hard up I'd get a more economical car.
Please tell me you see the irony in calling yourself a baller whilst you fill up with cheap petrol?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Please tell me you see the irony in calling yourself a baller whilst you fill up with cheap petrol?

Too easy lol..

What's the point if there's no noticeable difference? Since owning my car its probably had more expensive stuff. Pointless.

Please tell me you see the irony in fussing over the prices and then paying for the most expensive fuel at the station? Paupers ;).

Mini GP2
I don't see the point in not putting the premium fuel in; its recommended by the manufacturer to get the best from the engine. Renault don't make money for stating this in the handbook and on the fuel filler cap...... its an extra 10p a litre which is hardly breaking the bank IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.