ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

888's Standard dampers and Eibach sportlines

Clio 172
Evening, still fairly new to the RS range and reading as much as I can. I enjoy about 5-6 track days a year and the clio I currently have (as above) is on Standard dampers and Eibach sportlines.

Ive still got 888's from my last car and have just got some 15's to pop these on for Cadwell in August.

Has anyone ran 888's with this setup and if so did you find the grip from the tyres was too much for the suspension? Or as im hoping, was it totally fine?

Thanks for any help

Trophy #473
I think you'll be fine with that set up tbh. I had 888's on my Trophy and it was more than fine.

Used to Tripod alot!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In all honesty, I'd ask why you want them. Imho, track days aren't about going as fast as possible, it's about having a ball on track. I didn't find r888's any more 'fun' than the rs2 tyre, still track oriented (so they didn't go off in the way a road tyre can on track) but less grippy (ie more sideways).
You will put more wear on suspension/braking components with r888's!

Lotus Exige, 182
In all honesty, I'd ask why you want them. Imho, track days aren't about going as fast as possible, it's about having a ball on track. I didn't find r888's any more 'fun' than the rs2 tyre, still track oriented (so they didn't go off in the way a road tyre can on track) but less grippy (ie more sideways).
You will put more wear on suspension/braking components with r888's!

I totally agree with this.

I had a spare set of wheels with r888s on, ran them for a couple of track days, didn't have any more fun, felt like they were excessively wearing components (especially the clutch), sold them on and now back to doing track days on my normal PE2s. Much, much more fun.

Not tried the RS2s, car will be up for sale after Cadwell so I'll probably be sticking four new PE2s on again at that point.

I'v done trackdays with both, personally I loved the grip you get from r888's, get them slapped on and go rinsing stuff, suspension will be fine.

I did a couple of trackdays on the OP set-up. Was totally fine on my car.

As for 888s, I have done every trackday apart from the nurburgring on 888s, and I did miss them tbh! Noticeably more grip, and response in the corners.

That's not to say you cant have fun on normal tyres. I did the ring on T1Rs, and they performed comparatively very well, and I still had a hoot on track.

Maxi Megane and 182
I agree, I have 888's on my 172 with Std shocks and Apex springs. Undertook loads of other cars including clios due to extra grip on track.

Maxi Megane and 182
But extra grip on top of my considerable talent just makes it even more impressive. They don't call me tripod Bruce for nothing you know!!! ;)

Clio 172
Cheers for the lols and the replies lads

Brownbear - I already have the 888's from my last car and they have plenty life left yet hence wanting to use them.

I fully agree a trackday is about fun and learning about your car in the safest way possible. I like 888's for the consistent performance you get once warmed ive been doing trackdays for about 3 years now and have learnt that road tyres on track spoils it.

Your right though if I needed to buy new track rubber I would go for Hankook tyre - cant beat that pricing !!!!

Also have to agree its about having fun and theres nowt more fun than dicking supposedly better machinery

Cadwell on August 18th anyone?