ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

85g Megs clay bar

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How far would an 85g bar go on a 182? I know you're supposed to use it roughly in three pieces or so, but am I likely to go through a full bar on say the bonnet and front wings?

I'd rather buy more than one that to run short half-way through! ;)

Also, do clay bars have a shelf life? Can they 'go off' if they aren't used for a month or so?

Cheers,
D.

Full Fat 182
It doesnt wear away as such as its clay, it literally picks up all the crap that normal washing doesnt. one bar is plenty split into three bits. Im still using the first bit as I only intend to do it maybe 3 times a year.

Keep 'folding' the clay and work it with your hands. As a rule of thumb I tend to do this twice for every pannel. maybe more depending on the levels to which the paint is marked.

Tip is to feel the paint you have clayed, it should be smooth as silk.

Edit:

I use the sonax clay which doesnt have a case to keep it in so i use a freezer bag in a small tupawear box.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Acejon said:
It doesnt wear away as such as its clay, it literally picks up all the crap that normal washing doesnt. one bar is plenty split into three bits. Im still using the first bit as I only intend to do it maybe 3 times a year.

Keep 'folding' the clay and work it with your hands. As a rule of thumb I tend to do this twice for every pannel. maybe more depending on the levels to which the paint is marked.

Tip is to feel the paint you have clayed, it should be smooth as silk.

Edit:

I use the sonax clay which doesnt have a case to keep it in so i use a freezer bag in a small tupawear box.

After you have folded it a couple of times , to get a clean surface , don't you eventually end up with the part of the clay that has picked up the sh*t coming back up to the surface ?

MrBillyUK !

Full Fat 182
MRBILLYUK said:
After you have folded it a couple of times , to get a clean surface , don't you eventually end up with the part of the clay that has picked up the sh*t coming back up to the surface ?

MrBillyUK !

Id imagine it would yeh, but itd be a fair few more than just a couple of folds...

Just fold to expose fresh, clean clay until you feel thats impossible i spose!

Will last ages if you look after both the clay and your car. Shouldnt need doing every wash if the paint is kept in top condition with polishing, sealing and waxing as per r-jays recommendations, and if your not doing that, claying is pointless anyway IMHO...

Octavia VRS
some people use the quik detailer fluid mate others just use shampoo in a bucket of water. The standard bottle should be more than enough

106 GTi
I find a third of the bar fine to do a whole car 182 size normally unless its got lots of contaminents on it. Keep folding and kneading it to get a clean surface. If it gets very grimy use the next bit.

I store the un used partion in an air tight tupperware box. Anything else, cling film or plastic bags has ended up sticking to the clay over time for me.

I wouldnt waste the quick detailer to clay, mix up a solution of car shampoo and water in a spray bottle and clay the car while its still wet from rinsing after the wash.

Full Fat 182
POW_Clio said:
some people use the quik detailer fluid mate others just use shampoo in a bucket of water. The standard bottle should be more than enough

Pretty much agree with that dude.

I use the clay while I wash keeping it in the second clean water bucket so its plyable when you use it, that way your not stood in the freezing cold rubbing hard clay around in your hands...

Have used QD/Lub but personally prefer this method

106 GTi
Acejon said:
Id imagine it would yeh, but itd be a fair few more than just a couple of folds...

Just fold to expose fresh, clean clay until you feel thats impossible i spose!

Will last ages if you look after both the clay and your car. Shouldnt need doing every wash if the paint is kept in top condition with polishing, sealing and waxing as per r-jays recommendations, and if your not doing that, claying is pointless anyway IMHO...

A good tip for the used clay before you chuck it away is to save it to do your wheels.

Once or twice a year is all you should need to clay a car IMO.

106 GTi
Acejon said:
Pretty much agree with that dude.

I use the clay while I wash keeping it in the second clean water bucket so its plyable when you use it, that way your not stood in the freezing cold rubbing hard clay around in your hands...

Have used QD/Lub but personally prefer this method

Tip of the thread ^^^^^

Make sure the clay is warm and soft like play doe or plastacine you had as a kid, other wise if its hard it will damage your paint.

The hot water and keeping it in the bucket works well, some people warm it up in the microwave first to!

106 GTi
16vClio said:
Rich I've heard blue tack and some solution same as you said does about the same job?

I always use clay with car wash solution, not tried blue tack tho.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one - tips aplenty here! I found the microwave idea funny!

You've actually answered my next question too. Obviously, claying is something only to be done when needed. I did have the idea of maybe twice a year being enough and that seems to be the consensus here...

Is there anything that the clay should NOT go anywhere near? Glass, headlight units, Renault badges, etc?

Thanks again guys... :approve:

D.

Full Fat 182
Darren S said:
Is there anything that the clay should NOT go anywhere near? Glass, headlight units, Renault badges, etc?

Not as such no, works brilliantly on all surfaces, windscreens especially.

Rule is dont over use, use the techniques and you will be chuffed with the results

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I got some at dinner, so there's no going back now!

Picked up one of the Meg's Water Magnet Drying Towels as well after hearing some good reports about them....

Wish me luck!

D.