ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maddy's PB Ph1 172 Track Inspired Show Car & Weekend Toy

Hi all,

So I've made a post over @ 'New to forum' area with some background so check that out if you're interested in some context

I started recording my project last year on Instagram under @m444drt which I plan to still update as I go down to convenience as I'm more of the millennial generation haha

So lets start with present day,

My beloved 172 had recently come back from it's colour change & we are ramping up for show season 2020 having been accepted to Show & Shine @ London Cartel in July

Most recent work done is my partner & I fitting the PMS gear linkage and shifter kit (with the carbon of course) which we need to adjust this weekend

Problem areas are random coolant leak & hard brake pedal (need to check vacuum)

Plans are as follows:
  • ZX12R Carb Throttle Bodies
  • OMEX 600 Series ECU Engine Management
  • Renault Clio Renaultsport Mk3 197hp Cam Shafts
  • Mapping @ EFI Parts, Cheshire
  • Enis Galijasevic Balanced Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • JC5-083 Short Ratio Gearbox with Gripper Limited Slip Differential
  • Pure Motorsport Black/Carbon Short Shifter
  • Renault Laguna Front Splitter
  • Black Sabelt 4-point Seatbelt Buckle Harnesses
  • Carbon Rear Door Card Panels
  • Black Roof Lining

Attachments

• IMG_1645[2584].jpg
    IMG_1645[2584].jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 399
Hi and welcome. Car looks great, love petrol blue! Need more pictures though please.
There's the link to my intro post which I added a few more pics :)

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Which kit did you buy? Looks similar to the ATPower ITBs.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

So random coolant leak seems to have fixed itself (for now) level hasn't moved in 2 weeks and car has been started & left to rest. Will still need to keep an eye just to be sure.
Hard brake pedal we diagnosed as the vacuum pipe from the inlet being disconnected, my painters didn't re-connect it which is annoying, but it could've been worse so one less headache.
New brakes all round are now all bled up & they seem to do their job (altho the car is still in the air for now). PMS stud conversion all fitted & thread locked(y)
IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg

a dilemma I need some help with.. bump strips (pics aren't great but hear me out)

body colour?
IMG_2146.jpg

or

OE plastic? (needs a clean, not at that stage yet)
IMG_2148.jpg

currently resounding answer is body colour but there's a few plastic fans which are drawing me in (once it's been restored/dressed etc)

ty

OMEX sold, decided the ME221 PnP route made more sense - the how-to guides look pretty comprehensive for a beginner to fit, does anyone have any horror stories I should know about fitting it?😁

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I would say black plastic, once dressed etc always think that looks best even if it is a bit more maintenance, breaks it up a little

what did I do to deserve a facebook delete 😂😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So random coolant leak seems to have fixed itself (for now) level hasn't moved in 2 weeks and car has been started & left to rest. Will still need to keep an eye just to be sure.
Hard brake pedal we diagnosed as the vacuum pipe from the inlet being disconnected, my painters didn't re-connect it which is annoying, but it could've been worse so one less headache.
New brakes all round are now all bled up & they seem to do their job (altho the car is still in the air for now). PMS stud conversion all fitted & thread locked(y)
View attachment 1452598View attachment 1452597
Hope you wiped away that excess threadlock! You only need a tiny bit for next time.

Okay so the OMEX 600 sold - getting in touch with OMEX to get more info on it meant I needed to spend an extra £300 for the harness & other sensors before fitting which I couldn't justify
So I did my research & managed to find a brand spanking new ME221 PnP for the Clio 172/182 which I decided was a better alternative

Looking at the guidance notes on fitting this it looks pretty idiot-proof - dare I tackle this myself?
IMG_2257.jpg

Attachments

• ME221_Clio Install Guide.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 469

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
View attachment 1452598View attachment 1452597
Is that the rear disc spacer sat on the floor?

So car's on the floor again on my summer wheels even tho the weather is so bitter & standard rear lights are in due to a blunder on my part on resequencing the pins to ph2. Seatbelts to finish being fitted, a few bulbs, an exhaust clamp & some air in the tyres and she'll be ready for MOT later this week. Fingers crossed!
Anyone know what psi the tyres are supposed to be? Don't have a handbook with the car & no sticker cos respray (y) tia

e62c2f82-2f77-4cfd-aece-1765f2105ec4[2703].JPG35eca93f-748b-4bdf-976d-72a7755a9c8c[2701].JPG

Some shortcomings whilst MOT prepping:
Seatbelt bolt was cross threading into the body so didn't want to chance that
Airbag light on due to trendlines - was told this could be sorted @ the testing centre
O/S Sidelight rings still not lighting up (unsure if I've mentioned this before) - have new unit so took that

Decided to wash the dust off with my sponsors snowfoam, big thanks to GIlbert Detailers!! Product used: https://www.gilbertdetailers.co.uk/product-page/1l-ph-neutral-snow-foam
They have some cool and useful stuff such as quick release pressure washer adaptors + use code M444DRT for 10% off storewide
57026D31-77FE-4F1D-B04A-11533711F581.JPGIMG_1007.jpg

Drove the car to the garage to firstly have its LSD box fitted - garage said it's in much better nick than my other one so happy with that
then due to the issues above we were told it would fail which we knew but the garage weren't very co-operative with us to sort them so will be travelling to Grange Service Station who are fitting the 197 cams etc. & will do the MOT. They seemed very knowledgeable & helpful so I feel reassured, fingers crossed
IMG_2357.jpgIMG_2368.jpg
First time seeing the colour in natural light & it is spot on plus brakes performed great too so thumbs up overall! As you can see I stuck with the plastic bump strips, not been restored yet but I think it breaks up the colour well :)

Plus had some custom PH1-172 sill stickers made inspired by the 182 Trophy ones which are now on ebay available to buy - very happy with quality, super easy to apply and look great (colour is anthracite)
IMG_1029.jpgIMG_1032.jpg

Yes it did rain on the way down after I washed it and now it is dirty again but hey that's life, will be getting my finest detail once she's all ready!

Last edited:

Kenich.

ClioSport Club Member
  172 PH1
Some shortcomings whilst MOT prepping:
Drove the car to the garage to firstly have its LSD box fitted - garage said it's in much better nick than my other one so happy with that
then due to the issues above we were told it would fail which we knew but the garage weren't very co-operative with us to sort them so will be travelling to Grange Service Station who are fitting the 197 cams etc. & will do the MOT. They seemed very knowledgeable & helpful so I feel reassured, fingers crossed

I think my car has its service / belts done there a few years back, from what I have read they get good reviews with our little Clios.

Drove to Grange Service Station last night ready for the works to be done today. Just wanted to comment on the diff & how it now drives from standard.

IMG_2463[2766].jpgIMG_2464[2768].jpg

Driving through residential initially, no difference felt. Due to the stripped out nature of the car all I usually hear is the exhaust so noisewise I can't comment.

Motorway driving again no change, cruising at 70ish best I could with no cruise control that I'm used to in my daily.

*Disclaimer: I do drive the car rather conservatively - we're approaching 160k and I love it so much that I do my best to preserve it. I do have a spare engine rotting in the garage which needs my attention so for now I'd like to take care of the current engine the best I can*

On the dual carriageways I could keep the speeds up (national speed limit) through corners and that's when it felt more planted.

Obviously corners on a dual carriageway aren't exactly 'twisties' and are still more sweeping than what the diff is capable of but for a first taste I am happy with it! I see the hype and bet it's invaluable in a track situation

Lastly more residential, stop-start traffic not ideal but didn't stall (just made a racket & me embarrassed to look at oncoming traffic that just don't get IT ha)

Overall not as 'brutal' as expected Mr @B-shaw557

Brand is Gripper for those curious :)

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Grippers are good diffs, the build is looking well!

I personally prefer colour coded bump strips on the sides. Makes it more modern.

Grippers are good diffs, the build is looking well!

I personally prefer colour coded bump strips on the sides. Makes it more modern.

Thankyou, getting there slowly!
I’m glad I had them done so I can swap & change when I fancy[emoji4] the plastics will look better once completely clean & dressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cams in timed to 7 degrees, feels a lot more highly strung & wants to cut out when not giving throttle.
Response is mega though, very fun when pulling gears! Don't think I'll be taking it into work (again) any time soon lol made a racket trying to park! The joys of no ePAS & a car that wants to stall yay. Roll on EFI!
Kinda wanna track it but then I look at it and decide it's too pretty to track.. I've created a monster
IMG_2478[2868].jpg
Hardware-wise just got the ITBs & injectors left to install!

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Kinda wanna track it but then I look at it and decide it's too pretty to track.. I've created a monster

You can still track it, just dont crash it 😂

I feel like its a shame to build it to such a spec and never properly use it. You will never see the full benefit of a diff on a road, unless you want to loose your licence/life lol

First day working on the engine yesterday, trying to prep to fit the ITBs
IMG_2639.jpg

Few notes: Can’t run AC cos need cup alternator setup,
Need new ignition leads as OE ones won’t reach to the coil pack relocation bracket
I have 2 coil pack relocation brackets
How to successfully manoeuvre the ECU outta the housing is to be confirmed

Fitted:
PMS coil pack relocation bracket - 3 bolts (used the ones that came off the car). Coil pack not fitted yet as need nuts & leads as mentioned above
PMS breather plate - pretty easy, instant gasket around the perimeter of the plate secured down with I think6/7 capheads that came with the plate, no dramas
Breather tank - have to move PAS res & ECU so bit fiddly & bay looks a mess now. Fitted under coolant bottle, placement is tidy imo
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg

Bit of a snag with the alternator as the bodies won't fit with it on so looking at options, PMS do a kit, cup kit, apparently need a cup PAS pump too?
IMG_2645.jpg

To be continued..