ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I Bought a 172 Cup...

Hi Guys,

I have been on and off of here over the years and just can't seem to stay away. I originally had a Clio Trophy which I sold to Tony @ashtons99 because I needed extra money for a house move. Ever since I have missed it and been looking for over a year for a replacement car. Sadly I couldn't tempt Tony to sell me his 182 Cup which is stunning; and I just missed out on Paul's @mossyv6 Mint Racing Blue 182.

However it's not all doom and gloom as today I managed to purchase an immaculate 2 owner 172 Cup with 75k. The first owner owned since the beginning of 2003 until two years ago when he part-exchanged it for a Golf R. It then passed on to an ex Toyota Master Tech who spent a lot of time and money on it. The car has a few subtle modifications including coilovers, short shifter and Sabelt steering wheel. Other than that the car is completely standard and even still has a mint original front splitter plus brand new headlights and spotless Turini's including a spare!

I will be putting the car back to completely standard then trying to get everything to as good as new, before adding a couple of subtle modifications. I am also a keen detailer so the bodywork will be given a going over with a fine tooth comb. I will document all the work here for anybody who is interested to see.

Here is one picture of the car before it gets delivered tomorrow, and also a picture of my daily in case you are interested.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

s-l1600 (1).jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That looks gorgeous!

Edit apart from those strange wing mirror caps!

Last edited:
  200,182 Trophy, Cup
Looks nice Chris. Any interior pics? I’ve got some lovely capsicum red mirror caps that would look a treat against the blue :smile:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looked good on the advert and looked like some money been spent, look forward to seeing what you do with it :up:

That looks a cracking example and a good base for a project, will look forward to seeing what's done with this :up:

Loose the tints, rear wiper back on and new number plates alone will make it look better, although does look really clean already!!

Ohh alright fella,im cool thanks & you mate?..what made you buy another?.im thinking of selling mine next year

I am very well thanks pal! Well after I sold the Trophy I hunted high and low for a Petrol Blue 182. I tracked down 12 of the supposed 19 or so remaining and have a log of the reasons they didn't suit my needs so I gave up. Now winter is here I wanted a project so turned to this. Simple as that really lol. I noticed on Insta you may sell. I don't think you should mate for the money they are worth and the amount of time you have put in to yours you should keep it forever.

I had a late one with work today but when I got home the car was waiting for me on the drive! I had asked the courier to drop it and post the key through the letterbox which he was happy to do. This is it being loaded before coming to me.

IMG_0194.jpg

The seller told me he would throw in some spares and I certainly had not realised the sale would include an entire car full what a bonus!!! And before anyone mentions it he was kind enough to put in some blankets to keep the cars interior protected from dirt. There are even a set of original mirror covers so the carbon dipped ones can go. As well as exhaust system and steering wheel plus a full set of front and rear headlights; the list goes on and on.... Haven't even got a clue what some parts are lol!

IMG_0191.JPG

Sorry about the quality but its pitch black out and used an iPhone, however this is the first pictures of it in its new home before any work begins.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

The interior was a huge surprise, I know the previous owner kept a blanket on his drivers seat to protect it but all the seats are as good as new, just the radio and steering to be switched with the original spares and a re-trim on the wheel also to follow.

I could not resist playing around with the car so decided to remove the tints so here here is a quick before and after.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

That is just a quick update for now. There is a ton of history to go through but on quick glance its reassuring to see its had 3x belt etc changes so keen to go over everything.

Almost forgot one picture for those of you keen on detailing like myself. Considering the cars age, the fact that it had a journey on a transporter here and not a single cleaning product or cloth has touched it since arrival, the paint is in great nick.

Bonnet:

IMG_0201.jpg

320d
Looks good and take care of it in "cup killing season". Don't think I've heard anybody mention cup killing season since about 2010 on here mind.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Looks wicked mate on the back of the loader!,yeah i know what you mean abouy what i have done to it & what there worth at the moment.
Have to come and have a look at it one day.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They always come back...

😂😂

Yeah because i can see myself selling the Impreza to buy one.....Not alot compares to the Spec C. (but id like one to keep in the garage as i think the prices are on the up)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
😂😂

Yeah because i can see myself selling the Impreza to buy one.....Not alot compares to the Spec C. (but id like one to keep in the garage as i think the prices are on the up)

Well you dont have to sell your car for the phrase to not count.. So when you getting one?