ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LankyPestero Inferno Project

Well hi there!

I've been on here a while and realised its about time i made a thread on my project.

For those who don't know me i own a Inferno 182 Full Fat Clio with the twin cup pack. I've had her nearly a year now and bought her from a lovely chap in Essex. Got her for a bargain with the trade in of my old 1.2 clio. She had 87k on the clock shes now pushing near 90k.

I have a few plans for her, who i will now refer to as 'Amber' (the car), which i shall list now.

1. Fix the crack in her rear bumper
2. Sort out whistle in exhaust
3. Sort out wonky exhaust
4. Restore all black chipping paint on fog light mounts and front grill
5. Spray dash trim orange
6. New orange trimmed cliosport mats
7. New gearstick cover with orange writing
8. Orange seat belts from Megane 225 Inferno
9. Change Break lines to braided lines
10. New break pads
11. Spray break calipers orange
12. Clean
13. Install sub-woofer
14. Install old radio head from 1.2 clio
15. Spray engine cover orange
16. Fill all chips with paint
17. Re-align doors
18. Sort out scratched driver window
19. Get new orange stitched gear stick and hand break covers
20. New steering wheel
21. Clean driver side headlight
22. Maybe coil-overs
23. Spacers
24. Wheel refurbishment
25. New full set of tyres
26. Change cam belts
27. Air-con refurbishment
28. New Exhaust

Now I have done some of these already so i shall update this in the next few days with what i did. Some have pictures and some i don't so i will try and explain as i go along.

If anyone has any suggestion on what i should do i'm happy for all comments good or bad. If anyone has done any these before and has some tips, i would gladly appreciate everything.

I will try and post every week on what ive done and include a picture.

Thanks!

Ben

This was the condition of the car advertised on gumtree.

View attachment 108233View attachment 108234View attachment 108235

As soon as I saw her poking her nose round the corner of the car park, I fell in love!. Beautiful colour! However there was one thing that i immediately found was that the day after he advertised it he had been gently hit by a white van man and cracked the bumper. Wasn't too big but i still wanted the car. (there are pictures further down this essay)

Drove it back the next weekend and gave it a big clean. First thing i did was install my old radio from my 1.2 titanium clio which was a piece
of cake and a bonus - the lights are orange coloured - matches the other lights!

View attachment 108237

So I didn't do any other mods for a while so here's a few pics of Amber cleaned just before ClioSport Saturday 2013 and you can see the pictures of the cracked rear bumper.

View attachment 108241 1017572_10151647676608050_384334591_n_zps3f872082.jpg1004028_10151647676693050_1182337920_n_zpsc10ed10e.jpg1001325_10151647676253050_1708050209_n_zpsaddb7ebe.jpg1001780_10151647676548050_1429180400_n_zps3a5a9f75.jpg996174_10151647676733050_1802539982_n_zps6f535e84.jpg

So that's the beginning of my project. I am currently trying to find the pics of when i got the bumper repaired.

One of my friends was selling their Edge subs which was practically brand new for £60 so I made an impulse buy for my next mod - and yes it was because its a good sub and its orange!.

View attachment 108255

The wires were a little crap so stripped them back to leave wirey goodness! With a little bit of help from markerboy2002, we took the main supply off the battery and tie wrapped the lead onto the engine bay to stop it from flapping around into the engine. Then avoiding all the hot stuff we dropped it down to the bottom of the car and tie wrapped it onto the underside of the chassis. We then threaded it through the housing for the rear lights (as they are lovely and water tight) and pulled it through the fastner for the light. Hooked up the mains to the sub, earthed it to the bolt for the rear seats.

View attachment 108256View attachment 108257View attachment 108258View attachment 108259View attachment 108260View attachment 108261

(Sorry no pictures from here on the next section) As you can see the blue wire (the head unit wire) runs under the rear seats, tucked under the little lip in the door card and following the cover for all the cables that run to the rear lights and speakers etc, just to keep it nice and tidy. Then pulled the excess up the passenger footwell and into the head unit bay from the passenger footwell. The next bit was tricky as I had very little space to move around in and feed the wire through. Using a small screwdriver and my gf's hands, i threaded the wire attached to the screwdriver into the head unit bay. After a few swearwords and a few arguments, we got there eventually.

I then stripped back a section of wiring which runs to the ignition barrel. This wire tells the unit when to turn on, this also telling the sub when to turn on. I would recommend consulting your head unit manual if you wish to do the same thing. Then i heat shrinked the cables together using some wire casing and a lighter.

And hey presto! MORE ORANGE! it sounds amazing too. Highly recommend these subs!

WP_20140201_14_44_56_Pro_zpsa33741d1.jpg

I will update this post when i find the images and on how I installed them.

ORANGE SEATBELTS!!

I first saw this image of a Renault Sport Megané 225 in Inferno Orange and i instantly shouted "I WANT THEM!!!"

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/alexjmills/Interior2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/alexjmills/Interior3.jpg

So i set about finding where i could get them from.

Some of you may already know Bonxy has put some in her lovely Bean and so most of the inspiration and instruction is on her thread. You can see it here too:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...d-Baked-Bean/page16&highlight=bonxys+2nd+bean

I bought mine from Renault Parts as i couldn't find any scrapyard with any in. (I will update this post when i find the pics and explain how to install)

Here's the finished product!

WP_20140201_14_33_12_Pro_zps01f51704.jpg

Mega proud of these! Makes the interior look the way it should be!

Orange Trimmed Things!!

So I was browsing on the net and I found a nice little company on eBay that make custom coloured stitched leather gear stick and hand break gaiters. They arrived tuesday -

View attachment 108264

For anyone who wishes to buy theses as well here's the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414a8469a6

Here's the eBay shop:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/topgaitersboots/

So the hand break one was really easy to stall, just pop off the plastic surround the handbreak area and slide onto the break itself. It may take a little tweaking, as you can see by this picture i had to unpick the stitching to make the button at the end pop out of the leather grip.

View attachment 108265

Pop the surround back on and voila! I had to trim back some of the stitching so it looked tidy. (and yes i do realise this next picture looks like a penis)

View attachment 108266

Now i found that no-one has put up any instruction with pictures on replacing gear stick gaiters. So here's my attempt to explain!

I went to my local scrapyard to destroy a poor old dead clio's gear stick so could get a replacement mount for the leather gaiter. I recommend doing this as Renault liked using a lot of glue to hold the old one in the mount.

View attachment 108267

Prepare the new gaiter by lining the stitching up with the hook and the 'pointy' part of the bracket. slide over and dab small amounts of glue on the inside to hold the leather to the plastic bracket. (I used superglue because i'm hardcore) You can use a staple gun to replicate what renault have done on the old ones but make sure its a heavy duty one. Stationary ones aren't that great as it turns out!

Remove the all gaiter by using your nails to pry off the glue.
WP_20140131_14_29_01_Pro_zps563de179.jpg

Pull the leather up over the nob (lol!) so it becomes inverted
WP_20140131_14_29_16_Pro_zpsc90526ce.jpg

As you can see above there is a white cotton pocket round the entire stick. Inside there is a white tie-wrap - cut it off with a pair of scissors or long-nosed pliers. Should look like this:
WP_20140131_14_31_36_Pro_zpseb89fdb2.jpg

Pull off the old gaiter over the nob (lol). Now invert the new gaiter inside out and make sure the the hook of the plastic bracket is facing towards the climate control interface, and slide over the nob (lol) and down to the grip for the reverse gear. Now the topgaiter guys already give you a tie-wrap in the leather pocket to attach, but i definitely suggest bringing spares as it took me a few attempts to get this bit right.

WP_20140131_14_34_04_Pro_zps9e3df297.jpgWP_20140131_14_36_04_Pro_zps756167bb.jpg

Tighten the tie-wrap on the small sliding mechanism for the reverse gear, just below where you would normally place your fingers. Once you're certain that the position is right, trim the excess off the wrap and fold the gaiter down into the housing. Use superglue on the little tabs that stick out of the housing and on the inside wall of the housing to make sure the gaiter stays in place. Leave for the glue to dry. (I left mine for about an hour to make sure it doesn't come unstuck.

DONE! This is the finished result:
WP_20140131_15_02_34_Pro_zps00baa722.jpg

What do you guys think?

Belts look ace, I regularly look on eBay for them but no avail. How much were they from Renault Parts?

Here is the quote directly from an email from Holden Renault:

8200306285 1x Front £54.74+VAT
8200301386 N/S Rear £117.40+VAT
8200301375 Centre £84.00 + VAT
8200301382 O/S Rear £163.23+ VAT

Basically - NOT CHEAP!!! I will buy the rear set at somepoint but its f**king so expensive! Plus modding the belts to fit the rear of the clio mk2 I haven't looked into yet.

as the weekend was sunny i decided saturday was spray trim day. Bought some spare dash trim from the scrapyard and mist coated them with 4 layers of paint bought from halfords, and 2 coats of lacquer. needless to say, came out pretty well! the stickers i bought a while back from a member on the forum. Here's how they look:

temporary_zps49a0c9fa.jpgtemporary_zps765b38c6.jpgtemporary_zps0d7ef76d.jpg

It's been a few weeks since I last posted, this is due to the crappy weather we have had. However, the one thing that I got during the rain was these which i should of got 3 weeks back. But due to "a mishap in the order" I had to wait a further 2 weeks! Needless to say... I am very happy with the look of these. This weekend I shall clean out Amber inside and out and put a couple of pics on this weekend.

I got a pair of these for markerboy last year for his birthday and wanted a set for mine. I bought those from http://www.justmatz.co.uk but I think now the website has shut down. You can buy them from here: http://www.torquepartz.com they're the exact same company and the exact same mats and they will do the logo if you email them and quote them the "Cliosport Gold Membership Discount" too to get 10% off.

temporary_zps536d4e05.jpg

Now that looks f**king ace! Good job on the gaitor and spraying the dash strips, looks great and just how it should from factory.

I'll be looking into the mats too, do you just quote 'cliosport' logo and they'll do the rest? Or will I have to email the logo over?

Cheers mate! I can't take credit for them though as the previous owner did them.

Don't think it's a hard job though, remove dashboard, unplug clocks, remove plastic cover on the clocks then take the dial surround off and spray it :)

Recently been hearing bad noises from my exhaust and intermittent engine lights on the dash. So decided to have a look under my car for some repairs at Wilco. This was the result:

temporary_zps60e67de6.jpgtemporary_zpsbc906875.jpg
The nuts holding the pipe from the engine manifold to the cat had sheered off, leaving the bolts gripping for dear life in the mounts, the springs no longer applying pressure to seal the link. £25 for some shiny new brackets and bolts. will upload the new pictures this weekend.

Anyone know of anywhere I could get my hands on a good condition standard exhaust for a good price?

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Loving the progress so far, I will keep an eye on this thread :)

You need to sign up to flickr or photofuckit as some of the attachments you have posted didn't work (or at least they didn't for me)

cheers dude much appreciated! I did see the attachment links, they are from photobucket, not sure why they didn't work! I have a flickr account now so all pics will be from there =]

Loving the progress so far, I will keep an eye on this thread :)

You need to sign up to flickr or photof**kit as some of the attachments you have posted didn't work (or at least they didn't for me)

So I have been away for a while, had to put the bean on hold whilst I went to uni etc, however I am now more free to carry on with this project.
So my first update for over a year will be that I have purchased my next set of orange seat belts to go in the rear of the car! Found a rear set of Twingo sports belts in orange that should hopefully match the Megane 225 set I put in Last year. Some tweaks to make them fit but they should go nicely!

I also realise that i havent included pictures of the exhaust I put on last year too! I shall upload pics of that soon. I bought a Scorpion 192 exhaust from ebay and have been majorly happy with the result! still needs a small tweek after settling into the mounts for over a year.

so here's the belts:

18649581790_d81e9e4e9f_b.jpg