ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

64mm throttle body on Clio 172 Cup

MX5 Elise111s
While cleaning my plenum chamber following an engine blow up i noticed that it is fitted with a 64mm throttle body. Is this normal or should it be 60mm?

LY R27
I believe it should be fitted with a 60, as lately a lot of tbs have been enlarged over on 197.net to 64mm and we have all been using 1*2 tbs to do so.

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Got my ph1 in bits at the min, measured my tb at 64mm yesterday after reading this, just out of curiosity.

MX5 Elise111s
....and that's standard as far as I'm aware

That's interesting. As far as I was aware mine had not been modified either. The 197 boys have a thread about having theirs bored out to 64 so I just assumed that if they were running 60mm the 172s wouldn't be any bigger.

Is anybody running a 172 with a60mm TB?

LY R27
I see! Well mine came from a 182 and then bored out. These are the same as the 197 standard TBs (60mm).

Is the cups a cable fed TB? This may be something to do with it? - Pure speculation TBH.

Pic comparison

_DSC0443.jpg

6e0bbaa0.jpg

_DSC0429.jpg

MX5 Elise111s
The 172 Cup is also electronic throttle. So was the one you got from a 182 60mm and you had it bored out?

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
So it's possible 182's have slightly smaller tb's? Ph1 is cable operated and 64mm I/d. Maybe your cup one has been bored out at some point? Wouldn't have guessed that they were different from 172ph2-182....

Is it a noticeable/worthwhile difference going to 64mm on the 197's?

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Just a thought....assuming it is correct that, as standard, 172's are 64mm and 182/197 are 60mm- it may be related to the difference in engine breathing from the exhaust manifold characteristics.

I have no idea what manifold 197 are (but guessing 4-2-1??) 182 also being 4-2-1 and the 172 being 4-1. So a smaller tb would flow better (due to increased air speed through smaller bore) in the low-midrange on the 182/197 which is also true for 4-2-1 exhaust manifold. And the larger (64mm) flowing better higher up the range (172) which matches the behaviour of a 4-1 exhaust manifold.

All guess work of course, but seems plausible?!

172 Ph1
I had my Ph1 throttle body enlarged and I'm not sure of the size standard , mine was enlarged by 4mm , so when I get a chance I'll measure it and feed back

6bb3761f.jpg

LY R27
197s produce a convenient 199kg of pollution (what ever the units are), if they were running 200, they would be in the next tax bracket, this is measured always at around 3k RPM, so conveniently the 197 produces a huge flat spot at 3k RPM! Adding a bored out TB smoothes this away - a lot!

It is a really noticable change and the boys running more modified 197s say that it brings all the mods together, at the end of the day no point making the car breath any better (r3 airbox, silicone hoses, matched inlets if in the middle you are going to restrict it slightly!

Bigger the Venturi the greater the airflow (unless too big then the opposite will actually choke the engine of too much air to fuel.

So yeh to answer the questions above, a huge difference. And "LEWVR6" i guess you are along the correct lines, the 197 does run a 4-2-1 manifold, though it is a pretty much redesigned version of the f4r, though the same engine, tweaked to help subtle differences so not like the 1*2s where they wanted "more power" from the original engine {(172 - 182)

And finally, (I know essay!) yes my TB was directly off of a 182 FF, but then bored out the extra 4mm, exactly the same TB otherwise (tested prior to boring out)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Electronic throttles are 63mm, cable throttles are 60mm.

enlarging butterflys gives a placebo effect by giving greater throttle opening for less pedal movement.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
my cable one is 64mm! :/

and i dont think mine was ever modified before i got it!

Not if you measure the disc. Electronic are 60mm
yes that is the dics but if you think about it the inner of the body has to be larger as if it were the same size it would not open smoothly and would be a tight fit.. i assume dan was on about the actual body bore as apposed to the butterfly

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
the difference in sizes will be under 1mm so i think its pretty much neglegable in this case!

there clearly seems to be some conflicting information on this! lol

09 Audi A4 Sline 170
Bit of a thread revival.

Does anyone have a "how to" enlarge the tb IE how far down the tb to enlarge etc?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bit of a thread revival.

Does anyone have a "how to" enlarge the tb IE how far down the tb to enlarge etc?

James stone had over 200bhp on a standard one, how much more power than that are you running for you to think its a restriction to you?

The standard Inlet manifold is WAY more restrictive than the body, it hits max airflow log before it hits max throttle angle, there is nothing to gain, people saying otherwise just want to believe it because they have spent some money on it.