ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5 Door 1.2

A slow blue one.
Been on here for a while and most of my posts tend to be in the detailing section because that's where my main passion lies. After browsing through the non-sports thread I was overcome with inspiration. I have no intention of fitting any form of air filter because it's a 1.2 and they're a waste of money and time on such a small engined car, however I am toying with a KTR stealth exhaust for a little more of a growl.

Current Mods:
  • 16" 172 alloys, newly refurbed today and my god they look better for it.
  • Silvervisions for the front.
  • OCD Clean Sticker... :eek:
Future Plans:
  • Silvervisions for the rear, got them just need to get round to fitting them.
  • Fogs.
  • Paint the calipers and (maybe) the drums, I need opinions on whether to paint the latter or not.
  • Colour code the wing mirrors and side strips & bullets.
  • Fit the new spoiler tail light (not strictly a mod but mine has cracked and fills with water every weekend when I wash it)
  • Ride height, personally I'm not a massive fan of MEGA LOWZ but I just want to give it a nicer stance whilst still being able to traverse the Everest size speed bumps dotted along the roads near me and stop it looking like a monster truck. Any opinions on whether coilies or springs would be a better option for a nicer stance?
  • RS Grille
  • Stubby aerial, keeping my eye on a Type R turning up at the local scrappy ;)
  • KTR Stealth exhaust (maybe?)
  • Remove the drivers side rear light cluster and get rid of the spider that seems to have crawled in there and died, bugs me everytime I clean it.
Before the alloys (and after a bloody good clean):

0002.png

0004.png

0006.png

Finally a little bit of maths for you:

2011-09-19%2010.44.38.png

+ 4 of these with tires

2011-09-16%2014.25.53.png

=

2011-09-19%2014.29.42.png

Now opinions/suggestions are welcome however any hate on it being a 5-door/small engined Clio won't get a response and will simply be a waste of your time.
Haterz gonna hate.

A slow blue one.
Nice tidy wee motor that

Thank you :)
I want to be very careful, I've seen cars in the projects section that look smart then one too many mods later and it looks like it's been driven through a Halfords store. Keeping it very simple and neat, plus I'm very aware it's only a 1.2 so don't want to dress it up a la a sheep in wolf's clothing.

White mx5 mk1!
Pretty tidy :) paint the drums black and the brake callipers maybe yellow, colour code side strips if you want bumpers aswell but nice plans so far :)

A slow blue one.
Pretty tidy :) paint the drums black and the brake callipers maybe yellow, colour code side strips if you want bumpers aswell but nice plans so far :)

I kind of wanted to leave the front & rear bumpers as they were, think the black just breaks it up nicely however there is a slight graze on the front bumper (previous owner) which could be masked if I were to cc it. Have to give that one some thought.
I was thinking of painting the calipers a similar colour to the car however I was definitely painting the drums black, the alloys have exposed some incredibly rusty drums. Doing the drums a bright colour, like yellow, would probably be a little too much so I think you're right about going black on them.

I've actually got the mirror shells in the garage primed ready to spray, I just need a little motivation to get them finished.

White mx5 mk1!
Well your def on the right way :p 40mm lowering springs would look good for a start, I'd still go for coilovers and with them you wouldnt have to go stupidly low kinda like I did but you could get a brilliant stance then

A slow blue one.
I'd toyed with the 40mm springs. I know you can get 60mm springs but have heard that those things eat standard dampers so I'd be better off saving for coilies if I wanted anything lower than 40mm.

Will probably end up going for coilies just really can't afford to shell out for them atm. Spent an absolute bomb this month on the wheels alone, including the refurb and new tires so now I'm practically broke :( Suppose that's the fun of a project like this, doing everything piece by piece and watching it come together over time.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about getting some Raceland coilies in the UK? I know it's asked a lot so I'm sorry for digging at an old topic but no-one seems to have a definitive answer on how to get hold of them.

White mx5 mk1!
ebay :p i bought mine off here from someone, just lurk the for sale sec every now and then if you cant find any on ebay but pretty sure they were 180 new from there. I know what you mean about not having any money :p get payed pay bills then car! :p just cant help myself sometimes but hey thats why its fun

A slow blue one.
Not much of an update but to anyone who reads this thread I need an opinion.
Initially I was after getting a set of cheap-ish coilovers so I could give it a drop but after doing a few searches the Eibach Sportline kit with standard dampers seems to be a reasonable alternative as well as being a little cheaper. I don't want massive lows, just a slight drop to give it a nicer stance and it's a 1.2 so there's no way I'm tracking it so as long as it's still comfy enough on the daily commute I'm going to be happy.

The opinions of people who've had them seems to be why spend money on a cheap set of coilovers when for the similar price you can get a set of high quality springs that do an (aesthetically) similar job. Opinions?

e92 330i
I had sportlines, was great and would of kept um, but they just didnt go low enough, especially with 15" alloys i had.

A slow blue one.
You went down the coilover route too? See I don't want super lows so I feel springs would be right but I know for a fact as soon as I got the springs on I'd want the coilovers so I could get the ride just right (I'm an awkward get like that) I'm guessing you will still get a comfortable ride on coils as long as you don't go too low?

What were your opinions on the stance the Sportlines gave? It was actually a few of your posts in other threads that really got me thinking about Sportlines.

e92 330i
I have raceland coilovers, maybe down 60-65mm? Its fine, was lower but that wasnt great for ride. Rides not as nice as sportines, but imo sportlines arent low enough when i put my 15" wheels on. On the 14" steelies it was low enough.

Just because you have coilovers doesnt mean you have to go low, but you can manage stance with them.

I have pics in the suspension thread and my project thread, take a look and youll see whats what on each set up.

Imo get coilovers, the best you can in your budget, spend a few weeks playing with them, get the ride hight your happy with daily, then get wheel alignment and camber done, you'll love it after that!

crashed clio
i went down the apex lowering springs route from ktec, lowered 40mm as i didnt want to go too low. im pretty happy with the look, where relatively cheap seeings as i didnt wanna spend a bomb. coilovers may be better, but just be aware that there are other options mate

A slow blue one.
Oh I know there are other options and despite littleghs experience with both I'm still tempted to go with Sportlines. They're a heck of a lot cheaper and give the car a nicer stance, with having the 16" 172 wheels I don't think it'd need enough of a drop to justify getting coilovers even with the amount of people who rate them. Plus after just having them refurbed it'd be a shame to hide the rim inside the arches!

A slow blue one.
Plus with my budget I couldn't afford a good set of coilovers however I could afford a (what are considered to be) very good quality set of springs. I'd rather have a set of quality set of springs than a cheap set of coilovers however I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

e92 330i
Go for sportlines dude, they are the best spring for a clio tbh. Most likely look good on 16's! Bare in mind you may need spacers when lowering. I did with oz f1s n sportlines!

BMW 330ci
I have got raceland coilovers, they are very good. Personally I dont think the ride is that bad, you get used to it just avoid the potholes lol. They are good because you can adjust the height to wherever you want. At first I had mine quite low, but kept catching on everything, so I have raised it now, prob about 0.5-1 inch off the tyre, looks much better in my opinion, as I didnt really like the look of it on its arse lol, and its more practical. Can get pics if you want :)

A slow blue one.
Go for sportlines dude, they are the best spring for a clio tbh. Most likely look good on 16's! Bare in mind you may need spacers when lowering. I did with oz f1s n sportlines!

What size spacers did you use, can you remember? I'm guessing you'd only know if you need them when you've got the springs on the car so might see if I can get a pair for a reasonable price if I do end up ordering the Sportlines just to be on the safe side.

I have got raceland coilovers, they are very good. Personally I dont think the ride is that bad, you get used to it just avoid the potholes lol. They are good because you can adjust the height to wherever you want. At first I had mine quite low, but kept catching on everything, so I have raised it now, prob about 0.5-1 inch off the tyre, looks much better in my opinion, as I didnt really like the look of it on its arse lol, and its more practical. Can get pics if you want :)

It's people like you making this difficult for me, just as I start to settle on a decision someone pops along giving a valid argument for the alternative :(
I kid! Where did you get your racelands from? They're nigh on impossible to get hold of brand new from what I can make out. Could you pop a picture up here so I can see what the arch gap is like and what size wheels does yours sit on btw?

e92 330i

What size spacers did you use, can you remember? I'm guessing you'd only know if you need them when you've got the springs on the car so might see if I can get a pair for a reasonable price if I do end up ordering the Sportlines just to be on the safe side.
5mm, still have them now on the coilovers.

A slow blue one.
Cheers, I'll add them to the every-growing shopping list.
Slight development, just found a set of coilovers on ebay. The guy selling them hasn't listed the bolt spacing but has said they were for his Mk2 but didn't fit.. Here's hoping the guy had a Phase 1 and bought coilovers with the Phase 2 bolt spacing... Fingers crossed, just got to wait for him to get back to me.

EDIT:
Just found another set, the description doesn't state the brand but for £180 could these be Racelands? The colours match up...

logo.jpg

A slow blue one.
To be honest even if that bloke does get back to me about coilovers I'd be hesitant on buying them off someone like them because evidently he's not 100% sure what he was buying in the first place so he may not even be able to confirm an exact bolt spacing.

I'll drop a couple of sellers I know over ebay a message, I'm not holding out too much hope though because I know a lot of people have a had a tough time getting hold of Racelad/Rokkor coilies.

A slow blue one.
  A slow blue one.
Just checked my bank account and I'm broke, supposed to be out for a friends birthday Saturday so think I'll hold off on making them an offer.
They're still running into next month so might wait till after pay-day then make them an offer for the original £189, waiting to hear from a couple of other ebay sellers in regards to Racelands as well so I've got a week or two before I commit to anything properly.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
You've made the right choice going with coilovers instead of springs. You'd of bought springs, kept them for a year max, then decided to get coilovers because its not low enough. Here's littlegh's clio on 40mm sportlines next to mine on coilovers.

011.jpg

A slow blue one.
Jesus :eek:
Didn't think they'd be that much different, do you still get a comfortable ride though?
You've settled it, coilovers it is. Just got to keep my eyes open for an affordable set, start looking properly after payday.

Actually it was seeing your car in PFC that really kick started me to smarten mine up a bit. Beautiful little car there.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Jesus :eek:
Didn't think they'd be that much different, do you still get a comfortable ride though?
You've settled it, coilovers it is. Just got to keep my eyes open for an affordable set, start looking properly after payday.

Actually it was seeing your car in PFC that really kick started me to smarten mine up a bit. Beautiful little car there.

The ride wont be as comfortable as it is on springs, but that's the sacrifice you'll make for lows. My girlfriend is used to it, my parents hate it, and I am really not fussed by it. I think being a passenger is worse, but as a driver I really don't think it's that bad. So long as you don't go off roading and you don't 'slam it on its arse' you'll be just fine.

Haha, thank you, I noticed your comment on my progress thread a while back.

Here's a pic of mine on 40mm springs:

29778_436519450991_526050991_557079.jpg

And now on coilovers:
003-2.jpg

Sorry, I'll stop whoring, but you can see there's quite abit of difference in height between the springs and coilies if you set them at a drivable height. Well worth it to be honest.

A slow blue one.
I've just heard back from an ebay seller who says he can only get hold of Racelands for the 172 with 58mm bolt spacing. I think I already know the answer but would coilovers for a 172 fit a non-sport if the bolt spacing was identical? I need to check my bolt spacing on mine but I believe the mk2 ph2 had 58mm bolt spacing, although apparently there were a few anomalies where spacing was 52mm.

Please don't flame me for asking what may be an obvious question, it's only obvious if you know the answer.

EDIT:
Another seller has been in touch saying they can get 58mm TA Technix and 54mm Raceland. Still, for curiosity's sake, I'd appreciate it if someone can answer my above question.

Last edited:
  clio 5door sport rep
First mod I'd say yours is screaming out for is a rs grill

then I'd colour code your sidestips and do your bullets silver to match your wheels ;) looks good tho . Good to see another 5 door modder ;)

A slow blue one.
I've actually been toying with what to go for next, after spending so much this month on the wheels I wanted a couple of cheap mods to allow me to get the savings going again. I've got a few Osram bulbs on order and have been thinking of going for the RS grille next, it's only £50 posted off ebay so it's not going to break the bank. Getting that on order after pay-day! :D

You read my mind on the bullets, was thinking of going silver. Got a bodyshop that I've used before who'll do the colour coding of the side strips, I'd rather have them done properly because if I do them myself any over/underspray is going to be incredibly noticeable.

clio 5door sport rep
Honestly mate save your money it's so easy to do.... I done mine myself... cost you about 30 quid for materials from halfords... plus it would free up your cash for other mods... rs grill makes a big difference IMO but after that it's a slippery slope to a 172/182 replica as I have found out lol well addictive

A slow blue one.
I'm still going to give them a bell to see how much they'd charge, if it's too much I'll just give it a crack myself.
Do you know if there are any guides to fitting the rs grille? Some people say you have to remove the bumper, others have said they were able to simply pop it out without taking the bumper off.

A slow blue one.
Sweet, thank you :)
Just got to wait till pay-day then I'm getting it ordered, save the coilovers for the new year or maybe write a letter to Santa haha!