ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

406 Brembos vs willwood 4 pots.

Does anyone have experience of both?

I am leaning towards the Brembos because I will be able to run a 300mm disc and of course because the conversion is significantly cheaper..

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Willwoods fit under most 15's, the brembos with 300 mm disc need 16's, you can get get 295 mm Ap discs for the Willwoods but they are expensive, plus you can get DS2500 for the the Willwoods for about £65, so a lot cheaper than for the standard set up.

Willwoods fit under most 15's, the brembos with 300 mm disc need 16's, you can get get 295 mm Ap discs for the Willwoods but they are expensive, plus you can get DS2500 for the the Willwoods for about £65, so a lot cheaper than for the standard set up.
Thanks for that Dom.

I am sticking with my 16" cup wheels which is why the bigger disc appeals to me.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
For the chance to be able to move to 15s (cheaper tyres for track and what not) I would go with the willwoods!

Here you go ... I've driven with both

Wilwoods
Pros: Very light, fit behind 15" wheels even with 295mm discs, cheap DS2500's
Cons: Not a brilliant reputation (they actually bend in some cases), not as good build quality as the brembos, VERY expensive if you want 295mm (my kit was £1200 and the discs cost a fortune to replace)

Brembos
Pros: Extremely cheap to buy the kit, excellent build quality, IMO more stopping power than Wilwoods, cheap discs
Cons: Pads are more expensive, you need 16" wheels to fit them and the offset of them means you need some with a good dish too them, slightly heavier

The difference in cost is a killer though - 2nd hand 406 brembos can be bought for peanuts, discs are standard off the shelf ones etc..
But if you want to run 15" wheels you have to go with the wilwoods :(

Smokeythebandit (I think that's his user name) is running this conversion.

I don't know about the unspaced turinis to be honest. I don't even know if they will fit behind 182 cup wheels :p

Wilwoods
Cons: Not a brilliant reputation (they actually bend in some cases), not as good build quality as the brembos, VERY expensive if you want 295mm (my kit was £1200 and the discs cost a fortune to replace)

Brembos
Pros: Extremely cheap to buy the kit, excellent build quality, IMO more stopping power than Wilwoods, cheap discs
Cons: Pads are more expensive, you need 16" wheels to fit them and the offset of them means you need some with a good dish too them, slightly heavier

The difference in cost is a killer though - 2nd hand 406 brembos can be bought for peanuts, discs are standard off the shelf ones etc..

phil do the brembos and willwoods have the same piston area as the standard calipers .... eg do they need a different master cylinder as per using 197 brembo's

The issue of whether they need a different master cylinder or not is always an interesting one

When I had the brembos fitted to my 106 everyone said you'd need a bigger master cylinder - but I never found that, properly blead they stopped on a dot.

I'm assuming the 4 pistons in my wilwoods have a greater surface area than the one piston in my standard caliper - but there's no pedal travel and the braking performance from them insane, as is the pedal feel. I can get to the point where I'm leaving black marks on the road without locking the tyres up - you can feel everything through them

So I'd say no they don't need bigger master cylinder - but then some people will probably shoot me down and say technically they do :)

Its only the area of 2 pistons of the 4 that needs to equate to the original single piston phil, not all 4. As the standard piston has to move both pads, where as in the caliper each pair of pistons only moves 1 pad, and hence moves half the distance.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone that has the brembo kit measure up so we know what sort of offset is needed.
I've got a friend with a set of calipers that I can have off him when I next see him but don't want to have to run massive spacers to clear them, iirc my offset is about et37.

Lionel Richie
bunch of tarts the lot of you! ;)

I must find the article of when the 172 was tested against F360, M3, (about 10 other cars) etc etc, it came second in the 100-0mph brake test ;)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I must find the article of when the 172 was tested against F360, M3, (about 10 other cars) etc etc, it came second in the 100-0mph brake test ;)

I'm sure autocar said that they had a Veyron at 100-0 in 3.4 seconds and a Clio 172 in 3.9 which is pretty astonishing?

edit: Can compare the results here. The last bit is obviously the braking e.g 911 Turbo takes 4.25

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88533

bunch of tarts the lot of you! ;)I must find the article of when the 172 was tested against F360, M3, (about 10 other cars) etc etc, it came second in the 100-0mph brake test ;)
They do certainly work very well the first time you stand on them, but where would it come in the 100-0 ten times in quick succession test though, especially on a car with a lot more power than standard and hence can get back to 100 quicker.

Wilwoods

Brembos

the issue phil is usually they pull up too sharp as the pedal feels very soft but stops really quick ...... i did one of the first pug 205 to 306 brake conversions and that suffered , you almost want to make the pedal less efficient.

I have no issues with the standard stoppers now i have refurbed them all , however i should get this bloody thing on track (its just i find trackdays slightly booring unless i know a few people to have a natter with these days )

​should sort Landow in august really .

I never had that problem on the 106 or the Clio - maybe the master cylinder is bigger on the 205.. dunno

I find them very progressive and much better to use than standard calipers.

Cup In bits
phil do the brembos and willwoods have the same piston area as the standard calipers .... eg do they need a different master cylinder as per using 197 brembo's

You don't need a master cylinder upgrade for 197 brembos, certainly not on a cup as I have them fitted just now. If anything the pedal feel is improved and bite is very near the top (just the way I like it)

There was a thread the other day about what master cylinder to fit as an upgrade in combination with 197 Brembos and nobody could give me a reason why they were looking to upgrade it, performance is just fine.

Cup In bits
They do certainly work very well the first time you stand on them, but where would it come in the 100-0 ten times in quick succession test though, especially on a car with a lot more power than standard and hence can get back to 100 quicker.

+1

I haven't had the chance to track the standard callipers with good pads yet but even with standard pads they stop you alright for a while then there's no confidence in them. I have 197 brembos fitted with oem pads and they never flinched on a trackday recently which cant be said for the 1*2 calliper pad combo so that tells you something about 4 pots. There isn't one racecar that uses a single piston calliper when brake mods are free. The whole cup racer argument is void really as the first chance they had to upgrade brakes by regs it was done, European cup racer championships all run them.

172 Rally Car
Personally i have never had problems with stopping power on standard calipers with decent pads, but i have had issues with fade - but if that was heat of the pads or heat in the fluid i don't know.

So 4 pots should help with cooling due to larger pad area and bigger disc?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
You don't need a master cylinder upgrade for 197 brembos, certainly not on a cup as I have them fitted just now. If anything the pedal feel is improved and bite is very near the top (just the way I like it)

There was a thread the other day about what master cylinder to fit as an upgrade in combination with 197 Brembos and nobody could give me a reason why they were looking to upgrade it, performance is just fine.

actually...i'm gonna upgrade to the 197/200 MBc...but that is morte because it gives me something to to the car...I love spannering :p

Last edited:
^Burpspeed use the stock stuff without problem
Been reading that thread, looks like an amazing little car, not surprised they can get away with standard brake calipers ok considering how high their corner speeds are in their videos! That means not a lot of speed to get rid of compared to a more road orientated car with lower corner speeds, also they arent massive power in the first place are they, 215bhp I think it said? should think that even still they would see some small advantages in terms of being able to leave it a little later before standing on the panick pedal from fitting better brakes though if they did upgrade.

Lionel Richie
300kg? Where did you get that figure LOL! It gets pushed to 100%, even the most heroic CS drivers will only be at 70% ;)

Cup In bits
^Burpspeed use the stock stuff without problem

True they get by and so did cup racers but disks and pads were replaced like knickers on the racers.

You can see in Tony's latest race that he was struggling to haul it up after straights and locking up which is usually a sign of struggling to stop it for the corner and over compensating. That's what it looked like anyway but I'm sure Tony could confirm, I would say there was fade for sure though.