ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

406 Brembo, motrex bracket, disc size/rubbing...help

Clio 172
Hello

Trying to fit a 406 Brembo brake kit.

The brackets are Motrex Performace, and the discs are the 300mm scenic ones (part number checked).

The problem I am having is:

14117392473_87f3ea204e_c.jpg

Untitled by hansthebear, on Flickr

The disc is touching the Caliper, and it wont turn.

any thoughts ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Clio 172
You can see where the disc has scraped into the caliper in this pic, is filing down this area a bit a viable solution?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
14097973554_3eb4b033e9_c.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]image by hansthebear, on Flickr[/FONT]

172 Track Car
This often happens on race cars. If you leave it long enough it will stop touching.

I'll be honest if it's as slight as it looks I would just fettle the calipers a tiny bit. It's not ideal but will fix the problem and if done carefully it shouldn't harm them. I've filed corners off AP racing callipers before so the wheel offset could be reduced. Bust out the Dremel/air tool and jobs a good un

A quick note, it looks like you won't have to go very far but do a quick calc on the thermal expansion of a 300mm cast iron disc at 600c just to see how much extra might end up coming off.

Edit: just did a rough calc... Looks like it will grow radially about 1.2mm at 600c... Is there any slack in the brackets before you tighten them up? Can you return them as outside tolerance?

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thinking out loud, the calipers have bolted to the hub/brackets ok with the disc in situ i.e the disc is on and when you've offered up the caliper to the bracket the bolts are misaligned because the disc is far too big in diameter.

2 options maybe, dremel the caliper as suggested or machine the discs down by 1-3mm?

Does seem strange they touch the caliper as the caliper, 300mm Scenic disc and bracket is the right combo. Some people are using this setup (with spacers)

Clio 172
Hi guys thanks for the advice, I bought these from a forum member so returning probably not an option.

The pics above were taken with all the bolts torqued up etc, the disc would turn but not freely.

I think i will just file the caliper a bit and put it down to imperfections during manufacture of the alloy casting?

Is there a guideline about the required gap or is it just in regards to thermal expansion tolerances?

172 Track Car
No guidelines on gap, the disc shouldn't creep too much mechanically. Are the caliper bolts parallel or perpendicular to the hubs?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looking good Mark :approve:

You wanting a quote for pads for the 406 Brembos now as opposed the Wilwood 4pots mate