ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

360 chip - 'within weeks'

Golf GTI 1.8T
at last, I may think about buying one next year if they release a goodern then. bollacks to £35 a game pah!

I think if someone spends 2 years making and developing a game, then I dont mind paying £40 for it.

People spend £15 on a DVD, watch it once and put it on hte shelf and dont watch it again for ages.

You get hours and hours of use out of a good game, which imo makes it worth the £40 you pay!

Plus, you cant go on XBOX Live with dodgy games!

console gaming has always been about the genuine games, without spending money on games, what do you think will happen to the colsole makers?

yup, they wil go bust, leaving all these so called gaming enthusiasts with nothing to play on

Golf GTI 1.8T
yeah right, multi billionaire companys just closing down. dont think so. I just prefer to pay £6 for any dvd or game for my xbox atm, dont care if people have spent years on making them they are still getting their wage. That is one thing with the 360 it probably is worth using the xbox live feature, but the thing is just way to loud for me anyway.

I'll chip mine when I get it unless it can play divx/xvid out of the box (not even bothered to look at it to check! lol). I want to play online so I'll buy the original games for that alone.

If a game is good then i`ll buy it, if i`m just checking a game out then i won`t cos i`m tight, sort of try before you buy.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if you buy a game then the bigger the budget for the next one (eg, if you bought GT3 on the PS2 then that went towards how good GT4 was) if you know what i mean.

obviously one person buying a game isnt going to make a difference but if no one pirated a game then they would make twice as much money.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The xbox could have been everything a chipped xbox was (without the illegal games) but they failed to deliver and allow me to do the things I wanted to do with it ! and for that reason console hacking is a very good thing !

I very much doubt the 'month' estimate.. i would be more inclined to say 3-6 months... but what do I know ;)

mauricewt said:
:(

Be another sad day for gaming when this happens. Personally i can see the additional benefits (except for piracy). I got all my games for £35 or less which i think is perfectly acceptable + you can sell and swap games on ebay (so a new game costs you less than £5). I never have more than half a dozen games knocking around.

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=9422&cb=0.7055475&cb=0.7055475&cb=0.5225903

sad day?! fuk off ya poof, piracy rocks the world!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
I have no problem with getting pirated games, hell everyone does it. But i also don't mind paying for stuff that u can play online, cos the hours of fun u can have playing online for the sake of £30/£40 has got to be the cheapest form of entertainment available.

MKIII 138
ChrisO182 said:
If a game is good then i`ll buy it, if i`m just checking a game out then i won`t cos i`m tight, sort of try before you buy.

just like choices or blockbusters for a few quid you can get 48hours or more of gaming to decide weather you like it, much more than you legally get for downloading a mp3 unless you have paid. i think piracy is naff.

the problem is people want everything at once (as mentioned in another thread) wait a few months and either ebay or your bargin bin in choices or blockbusters will have the full version for between £9-24 pounds if you really want it after renting

there isnt any excuse for piracy and i think if the games are too high priced then you dont buy them ! very much like getting a high performance car and not being able to insure it but driving it anyway

£35-40 isnt too bad once you have a.) tried a demo downloaded via xbox live (v cheap or free) b.) gone to a rental outlet like choices or blockbusters or c.) waited a few months or even weeks and buy a cheaper original copy from ebay there is simply no need to copy other than cheating.

its also bad for yourself you dont get into games when you have loads to choose from.

sure these compaines make loads, lets say they price each game at £60 so then you dont buy xbox360 you get PS3 ! simple its called consumer choice, it pushes the price up for law abiding customers if there is too much piracy and forces developers onto more secure platforms.. look at the PC games market almost flat with piracy so you have the powerfullest £2000 PC and no new decent games.

if you cant afford it dont buy it just like eveything else, get a better job or just buy a choice game that is really good and play that. Some people have to accept its capatilism there are people better off who can get more for all else there has to be a compromise im affraid.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
no new decent games on the PC? Are u having a laugh? Oh and £600 will get u a PC able to play any new game on the highest detail settings

PC Games have had piracy problems before even the playstation was thought of, if there was that much of a issue, I doubt that games would be made anymore.

MKIII 138
Clart said:
no new decent games on the PC? Are u having a laugh? Oh and £600 will get u a PC able to play any new game on the highest detail settings

PC Games have had piracy problems before even the playstation was thought of, if there was that much of a issue, I doubt that games would be made anymore.

i knew someone would say that.

there are no new games that dont feature on xbox, xbox360, PS3 there are 90% ports as they know they can make money on the consoles due to lack of piracy.

all the PC seems to have now is FPS games using the latest nvidia cards as tech demos, no new ideas not much investment compared with what there used to be.

£600 will buy you the PC but do you get the 20" widescreen monitor (£350) with that ??

im playing on a 46" DLP in 1024 x 768 so to get a close comparable spec PC to an xbox360 experience you need to fork out loads especially on audio, where as most TV`s based gaming systems have decent audio or a 5.1 / 6.1 systems attached in living rooms.

PC`s come with two logitek 5w speakers and a boomy "subwoofer"

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
and if you get it chipped i guearantee it will break earlier than the rest, therefore makin your long wait for a consol like that a waste, and selfish too to the people who couldnt get one....you get sumthin good, why spoil it

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
meggerman said:
i knew someone would say that.

there are no new games that dont feature on xbox, xbox360, PS3 there are 90% ports as they know they can make money on the consoles due to lack of piracy.

all the PC seems to have now is FPS games using the latest nvidia cards as tech demos, no new ideas not much investment compared with what there used to be.

£600 will buy you the PC but do you get the 20" widescreen monitor (£350) with that ??

im playing on a 46" DLP in 1024 x 768 so to get a close comparable spec PC to an xbox360 experience you need to fork out loads especially on audio, where as most TV`s based gaming systems have decent audio or a 5.1 / 6.1 systems attached in living rooms.

PC`s come with two logitek 5w speakers and a boomy "subwoofer"

I think ur getting a bit carried away.

XBOX £300
PLASMA - £1500
5.1 SURROUND - £200

So ur basically talking 2k, which will get you a PC (and 20 inch widescreen) that will dump on a 360.

I'm not slagging them, because I'll get one next year. PC for online FPS etc (which are terrible on consoles) and a 360 for PGR 3 and xbox live.

MKIII 138
there is a lot of piracy around i have never pirated any console or game i guess im sad.

theres a big games/movies/music pirate in my office and another (seemingly respectable and ultra square) guy who has copied 2000 downloaded mp3 tracks for the whole office (around 75 people) to share at will (on our servers for a respectable public sector organisation who could get sued) !! but nobody bats an eyelid

but hey if it ever got found out he`d get fined so much per title that he`d have to sell his house probably lose he ohh so precious and crafted career

edit: DLP not plasma much cheaper and better imo. a PC can show me the most realistic GFX in the world but if the display is a postage stamp size im just not going to get immersed unless i ram my head close upto the screen and strain my neck, big screens allow for much more imersion and you also see much more as your eye`s find the details easier to see.. IMAX isnt a 14" portable telly is it now.

Last edited:
  Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
meggerman said:
just like choices or blockbusters for a few quid you can get 48hours or more of gaming to decide weather you like it, much more than you legally get for downloading a mp3 unless you have paid. i think piracy is naff.

the problem is people want everything at once (as mentioned in another thread) wait a few months and either ebay or your bargin bin in choices or blockbusters will have the full version for between £9-24 pounds if you really want it after renting

there isnt any excuse for piracy and i think if the games are too high priced then you dont buy them ! very much like getting a high performance car and not being able to insure it but driving it anyway

£35-40 isnt too bad once you have a.) tried a demo downloaded via xbox live (v cheap or free) b.) gone to a rental outlet like choices or blockbusters or c.) waited a few months or even weeks and buy a cheaper original copy from ebay there is simply no need to copy other than cheating.

its also bad for yourself you dont get into games when you have loads to choose from.

sure these compaines make loads, lets say they price each game at £60 so then you dont buy xbox360 you get PS3 ! simple its called consumer choice, it pushes the price up for law abiding customers if there is too much piracy and forces developers onto more secure platforms.. look at the PC games market almost flat with piracy so you have the powerfullest £2000 PC and no new decent games.

if you cant afford it dont buy it just like eveything else, get a better job or just buy a choice game that is really good and play that. Some people have to accept its capatilism there are people better off who can get more for all else there has to be a compromise im affraid.[/
QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better myself. The more people appreciate the work that goes into developing/releasing a game and paying for it the better games will be. Imagine if everyone paid for their games legally i think there would be some serious awesome games on the market today.

SLK 350
Each to their own in my opinion, if you want to play pirated software then theres little harm in doing so. If you want to purchase it legally, again theres no harm in doing so.

What winds me up are these people preaching about how the software market is on its knees, how theres a total lack of investment and that theres no new material. None of the above paragraph is true; sure piracy keeps the big companies on their toes with anti-piracy measures but i sincerely doubt it accounts for any significant loss in terms of revenue.

Im a great fan of the digital age, for once the consumer has the ability to choose if he/she wants to reward the companies behind the material (music/video/games) by purchasing original software. But no longer are you 'forced' into paying £40 for a game that turns out to be a buggy, glitched and rushed piece of sh1t.

Frankly im disgusted at how companies these days release 1/2 finished software and use the general public as some sort of beta/alpha testing phase where they colate hundreds of emails from angry customers outlining issues with gameplay - then release 5 patches trying to correct it.

I own a chipped xbox with circa 100 games, and 800 snes roms. However i still buy the games i enjoy such as PES4/5 and Halo1/2 to name a few. Does that make me an evil person? In my eyes no, it makes me smarter than Joe Public for paying my hard earnt for some crappy halfwit job formulated by a team of overpaid and underworked lazy developers.

But please whatever stance you take, please please please stop saying that the games industry will be brought to its knees - you sound pompous.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
not only that, i'd say piracy is more wide spread than ever, yet the gaming industry has grown bigger than the film industry. Can't be doing that much harm!

i reckon they arent too bothered about the games being copied, otherwise they would use something like the old cartridges that wernt easy to copy.

I wonder how many people would not have bought an xbox if they thought there was no way of getting cheap copied software, i bet its alot. The manufacturers will know this and as long as they sell plenty off consoles theyll be happy. In fact i bet they want a certain amount of piracy to go on.

Golf GTI 1.8T
KDF said:
The xbox could have been everything a chipped xbox was (without the illegal games) but they failed to deliver and allow me to do the things I wanted to do with it ! and for that reason console hacking is a very good thing !

I very much doubt the 'month' estimate.. i would be more inclined to say 3-6 months... but what do I know ;)

I agree with this, they left the xbox completely open to hacking it was a peice of piss. Mine got one soldered bit and a wired remote so I can flick between on or off. So could still use live if I wanted to. Think its the executor 2 or summin. Will be very hard for people to chip the 360 as its more advanced, think its gonna take more time for someone to develop a proper chip for sale.

What people are saying about they dont mine spend £30-40 on a game, yeah thats fine for people like us who work and can throw money away but I feel sorry for the kids who have to save their pocket money up to buy a disc of plastic, feel even more sorry for the parents who have to buy the game they want for xmas!

MKIII 138
mitchzxr said:
I feel sorry for the kids who have to save their pocket money up to buy a disc of plastic, feel even more sorry for the parents who have to buy the game they want for xmas!

so dont fookin buy them then !? if you cant afford a game at full price as ive already mentioned dont try and copy it, just a.) rent it b.) buy one on ebay (ohh sorry cant afford a game so presumably the type of person without a PC and Broadband connection then ?) c.) wait for games to turn up in bargin bin, literally 1 month and pay £9-24

you know what the games are like, you have:

Official Magazine reviews x 5
Official Magazines with free Demo discs with usually 2 levels + others
Internet Reviews from professionals + consumers
Forums
Rental
Bargin Bin
Lending from a mate

do some friken reasearch if there that desparate to have it. dont go around saying i feel sorry for those who cant afford ..

feel sorry for me i cant afford a V6 clio let alone a lambourghini so im not going to pinch one am I ??

edit: 42" DLP ??? 46" mate selling next year for a 50" 1080P DLP £1300-£1500 for a massive screen at a resolution that only very top spec LCD`s do at 19" (1920 x 1080) for three grand less than a plasma of a smaller size and lesser Res. PS3 will run direct digital via HDMI or VGA 1080P and be a higher res and quality than 90% of PC users experience on their TFT/LCD`s

E91 M Sport
edit: 42" DLP ??? 46" mate selling next year for a 50" 1080P DLP £1300-£1500 for a massive screen at a resolution that only very top spec LCD`s do at 19" (1920 x 1080) for three grand less than a plasma of a smaller size and lesser Res. PS3 will run direct digital via HDMI or VGA 1080P and be a higher res and quality than 90% of PC users experience on their TFT/LCD`s

I run a 110" 720p screen and it cost me £980 (panasonic ae-700). I can't physically fit a larger screen in my house. HDTV is awesome on it.

Nothing against TV's, but they're a bit limited.

MKIII 138
miketheman2k said:
I run a 110" 720p screen and it cost me £980 (panasonic ae-700). I can't physically fit a larger screen in my house. HDTV is awesome on it.

Nothing against TV's, but they're a bit limited.

^^ agree but given my living room space i can accomodate no more than 50" (only 40cm`s deep maximum) but still that is a huge screen with exellent contrast and colour fidelity compared with a projector, sure there are amazing projectors but the image isnt perfectly straight for one.

720p is great but its a Res that PC`s have been doing for years now and even though its considerably higher than the native res a SD broadcast puts out or dvd for that matter it isnt such a big leap in terms of image detail and quality comapred with full 1080P in fact there is a almost 2 million pixels less info on even the high quality 720p so can you imagine that on a loverly 50" screen via digtial with no loss through A/D conversion

I think its just the same as the record industry. artists always moaning they are making no money because so meny people downloading from the net. well if they aint making so much money why they still buying 10 million pound house and millions of pounds worth of cars every year. yeah right there making no money. if there so worried that no one buys records, games or dvd's then drop the blody price of them as this is why no one buys them.

E91 M Sport
meggerman said:
^^ agree but given my living room space i can accomodate no more than 50" (only 40cm`s deep maximum) but still that is a huge screen with exellent contrast and colour fidelity compared with a projector, sure there are amazing projectors but the image isnt perfectly straight for one.

720p is great but its a Res that PC`s have been doing for years now and even though its considerably higher than the native res a SD broadcast puts out or dvd for that matter it isnt such a big leap in terms of image detail and quality comapred with full 1080P in fact there is a almost 2 million pixels less info on even the high quality 720p so can you imagine that on a loverly 50" screen via digtial with no loss through A/D conversion

Fair comments, I guess it depends what you like most - screen size (and compromise on the perfect contrast / brightness) or detail. Both is possible of course, but everything has its price.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I cant wait for piracy to rull the X-box.
Its a 4p disc that people are paying far too much for

At the moment i pay £10 for the top 40 albums and 7 games for £10 for either ps2 or x-box

These industries have ripped us off for yrs and to get a little bit back is good business if you ask me

ian

i'll want to chip my 360 not for copied games but to open up the media playing abilities.

I was v. impressed when I thought yes they've listened to all the people that have chipped the first xbox and looked at what they do with them and incorporated that into the 360.

Very disappointing that it can only stream video from an MCE machine and not divx or xvid or anything like that :( hoping that thats something that will get sorted with the chip etc etc,

for now my xbox reigns my setup, for media playing nothing can come close!

personally on the piracy issue, hypothtically ;) if i did download copyright stuff i would be starting to feel a bit bad, whatever ur opinion it is illegal, i think i might still do it but i do recognise that in time enforcement will get stricter and more people will get convicted and when i have kids i think i'll want to bring them up honestly and out of risk of conviction from something that these days most people accept as the norm.

Nissan 350Z
I love all the people who reckon they've never pirated a game.... when I went to school, EVERYONE pirated games. The situation has not changed now, as far as I can tell...

Nevertheless, its a good job somebody buys them, or they'd never get made. I have a hard time believing that nobody on here has pirated games, or whatever else (music, TV shows, movies)....

Golf GTI 1.8T
meggerman said:
so dont fookin buy them then !? if you cant afford a game at full price as ive already mentioned dont try and copy it, just a.) rent it b.) buy one on ebay (ohh sorry cant afford a game so presumably the type of person without a PC and Broadband connection then ?) c.) wait for games to turn up in bargin bin, literally 1 month and pay £9-24

you know what the games are like, you have:

Official Magazine reviews x 5
Official Magazines with free Demo discs with usually 2 levels + others
Internet Reviews from professionals + consumers
Forums
Rental
Bargin Bin
Lending from a mate

do some friken reasearch if there that desparate to have it. dont go around saying i feel sorry for those who cant afford ..

:S When did I say I couldnt afford them, I just choose to save £30 every time I want to play a game, why should I throw away that money when I dont have too??
I dont download any music, films or games. I buy all proper cd's because I like to collect all the proper albums and support that someone has spent their time creating it, but dont see the point with games and dvds, all those employed to make them are still receiving there nice big pay cheques so whos it hurting.....multi million/billion dollar companies.....like they need anymore!

Piracy has happen for decades. If you record something off the tv, radio, sky, download music - even listen to it from a website that hasn't paid for the distribution of the music, watch movies and tv shows online etc etc etc it's all piracy in one form or another. Even happened when I was 8, lemmings copied from one Acorn pc to another and then used on school pc's.

It's always gonna happen, always will. WinXP Pro was cracked within 30 mins of it being released. XBox was probably modded straight away, which is also illegal to even open the cover apparantly. Chips ain't new, even snes's and megadrives had chips and I don't see them going bust - although nintendo are lacking with good consoles these days

Piracy will never be stopped, there is too much money in piracy, though most pirates are every day people now, hell my otherhalfs grandperent has done it, every one breaks the law, by speeding to copying, just gotta make sure you don`t get caught.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
console gaming has always been about the genuine games, without spending money on games, what do you think will happen to the colsole makers?

yup, they wil go bust, leaving all these so called gaming enthusiasts with nothing to play on

Thrrreaaaddd revival.
I'm sat here reading Bryan/bambams posts (he's my brother) - how ironic he posts in this thread and I was part of the team reverse engineering the Xbox360.

Anyway, I digress, back to reading how much of a swampdonkey hearder he was

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Thrrreaaaddd revival.
I'm sat here reading Bryan/bambams posts (he's my brother) - how ironic he posts in this thread and I was part of the team reverse engineering the Xbox360.

Anyway, I digress, back to reading how much of a swampdonkey hearder he was
Interesting

Which team were you part of? executor?

Are there any we did it this way reads? Be interested in it!