ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

300bhp N/A

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Surely porting the plenum will help? or is it the inherent design and no matter what amount of porting you do it won't help?

I would say the design is poor for power coming over the engine in that way.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Surely porting the plenum will help? or is it the inherent design and no matter what amount of porting you do it won't help?
It's an inherent fault in the design of the plenum mate. If you cut it open it might be made better with some porting/smoothing but it's never going to be perfect. It's also not designed for ultimate performance either so you have to make compromises along the way.

bastardized

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph1
Thanks for all the input guys. I think ill go down the turbo route. 400bhp is my target for turbo. My friend is running 405bhp on a GTI 6. I reckon parts only under 7k to build.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
Be cheaper to buy an NSX and stuff the engine into a V6 Clio....

....that might even work actually..... @cat171 I need your car.....and an NSX, and The Unit for several weeks....

...and some idea of how mechanical things work
Have you seen the prices of NSXs these days? The engine isn't bad, IMO the 3.2 in the E46 M3 is miles better, but then that wouldn't fit...
Cheaper to use a Honda Legend V6 VTEC engine :)

MC

Ph1
It's an inherent fault in the design of the plenum mate. If you cut it open it might be made better with some porting/smoothing but it's never going to be perfect. It's also not designed for ultimate performance either so you have to make compromises along the way.

A good few years ago, think it was on the old forum? there was a forum member on here who went to town at GDI, (ultimate everything), before chargers and turbo's were common place and had the standard plenum cut open and re-worked and from memory only gained a few extra bhp, nothing worth doing for all the work involved.

Listerine & Poledo
Have you seen the prices of NSXs these days? The engine isn't bad, IMO the 3.2 in the E46 M3 is miles better, but then that wouldn't fit...
Cheaper to use a Honda Legend V6 VTEC engine :smile:

MC
NSX's are holding their worth, and I wouldn't argue with it.
And I'd rather have the Honda V6 than the M3 engine. I appreciate a lot of it is down to intake and exhaust set-ups but I just think it sounds better.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
A good few years ago, think it was on the old forum? there was a forum member on here who went to town at GDI, (ultimate everything), before chargers and turbo's were common place and had the standard plenum cut open and re-worked and from memory only gained a few extra bhp, nothing worth doing for all the work involved.
There's the confirmation then! Thanks for the info. I wouldn't personally bother with all that effort of cutting the plenum open to port it anyway. You'd be better off doing something along the lines of an rs2

I cut up a 1*2 manifold to see if there is any gains

I ported it and reshaped the ports and bell mouth etc and the gains were..... None

As said above. RS2 inlet or custom like it.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I cut up a 1*2 manifold to see if there is any gains

I ported it and reshaped the ports and bell mouth etc and the gains were..... None

As said above. RS2 inlet or custom like it.
Ah bugger not much hope then for peak power, but how about peak torque, Improved?
How much power should one expect with matched inlets Coupled with ported heads and 438 cams , high comp pistons, rods and balanced crank.
Possible to stroke the f4r even ?

The manifolds alone not much if not any
With head work and cams your guaranteed to get power depending on who worked the head and who will be mapping it.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ah bugger not much hope then for peak power, but how about peak torque, Improved?
How much power should one expect with matched inlets Coupled with ported heads and 438 cams , high comp pistons, rods and balanced crank.
Possible to stroke the f4r even ?

An F4R is basically a stroked 1.8 anyway.

I would say your on the way to 210bhp mark with that sorta setup on a good engine with good mapping, matched with ITBs on a good engine your talking 220+ but with a good chunk more torque.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I remember TDF talking about ~£30k to build a 280bhp N/A engine for the likes of WTCC.

It was the massive single TB carbon inlet that rolls over towards the oil filter.

Found it:

Matt@TDF AKA Icarus said:
£36,000 (+VAT) will buy you a 280bhp Super 2000 F4R that comes with this plenum, ECU, Wiring Loom, Airbox and a few other bits. We have enough bits in stock to produce two more and will do a deal on a pair should anyone wish to put something Renault into WTCC :wink:
The thread with the inlet has gone though, i think.

I built a 300bhp Zetec 10 years ago for half that. 36k is a hell of a lot unless most of the parts were 24 carrot gold?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
My engine is still on hydraulics and is 242hp , i'm struggling with that power with the quick 2.0ltr cars in my class on some of the fast rallies , I did look at going for more power , but then i'm not getting big gains over what I have , I did even think about fitting a Peugeot 2.0 engine as these can be tuned to close on 300 , but then the box needs changing , and thinking further forward i'd have to go bigger wheels with more rubber on the road , maybe wide arch kit , then bigger brakes and i'd be spending another 25 - 30K on it so didn't go any further
Even the works cars didn't have 300 hp , and neither did the Proton S2000 which uses a 197 engine , they were in the 280's , so if people like that are throwing money at them , we haven't got a chance lol

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The F4R just hasn't got the cylinder head design to be challenging the big guns. Potential valve area when fully modded and the ability to flow that potential and all that.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The F4R just hasn't got the cylinder head design to be challenging the big guns. Potential valve area when fully modded and the ability to flow that potential and all that.
I agree that the 1*2 hasn't got a good cylinder head design, but the 197 head is far superior. In R3 maxi evo spec they produce 250hp - and that's on the oe inlet manifold.
You just need extremely deep pockets to get big hp n/a

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I agree that the 1*2 hasn't got a good cylinder head design, but the 197 head is far superior. In R3 maxi evo spec they produce 250hp - and that's on the oe inlet manifold.
You just need extremely deep pockets to get big hp n/a
So is a 200 head a worked 197 head? I read Renault claimed some revisions.

Is it a different casting to the 1*2 head to correct the flaws?

How big an inlet valve can you get in the 197 head? Just curious.

I remember some tuners quoting 300bhp from Mi16 engines but at pretty much 10,000rpm and with very regular rebuilds.

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So is a 200 head a worked 197 head? I read Renault claimed some revisions.

Is it a different casting to the 1*2 head to correct the flaws?

How big an inlet valve can you get in the 197 head? Just curious.

I remember some tuners quoting 300bhp from Mi16 engines but at pretty much 10,000rpm and with very regular rebuilds.
I've not seen a 200 head mate so I can't comment.

Same casting but different inlet runner cast into the head plus a better designed combustion chamber to reduce shrouding of the valves plus it's fully hemispherical.

I'd say the inlet valve would go plus 1mm, maybe a bit more. Maxi evo does 250hp on the standard inlet valve size.

Mi16 is a good engine tbf, but f**k revving to 10k and rebuilding it every 5 minutes.