ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3,500 rpm @70mph in 5th

2000X 172
I was doing my usual continetal fag run yesterday and was on the M20 heading Doverwards .. .. .. sitting cruising at 70mph in 5th and needed to accelerate to maintain speed up a gentle hill. The WHOLE car started to shake really badly. I turned off the stereo and listened to the engine. Nearly every time I accelerate there is a "ththththththrrrrppp" kind of noise and the throttle response is a bit slow. However, dropping into 4th and flooring it was fine.

My fuel economy has dropped from around 32.5mpg to around 27.5mpg.

It's a 2000 X 172 with 106k on the clock. All original apart from a Magnex cat back system.

I took it to a garage today and they road tested it, checked out the exhaust system and hooked it up to their computer to see if they could find a fault and they can't.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be??

2000X 172
I read your problems but when I dropped it into 4th and booted it I had a good response from the engine .. .. .. it was only around the 3,500 rpm band in 5th that I had issues. Talking to a friend in the pub tonight (sorry if my typing is a bit off) he suggested that poor fuel / fuel filter could be my problem... ... ... ... ...

FOCUS ST 275
Injector?

Had a similar problem with a freelander,

Does it only Vibrate under acceleration?

2000X 172
It's odd .. .. .. I can't describe it very well but I think it's when the engine is using torque rather than power .. .. .. when booting it it's fine, when gently accelerating in gear at around 3 - 4 thousand revs it judders.

To make matters worse (or better) I can't recreate the worst of the symptoms to show the garage exactly how bad it was.