ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 numberplates and the law.

BG 182
I've been reading up on the legalities of the 3/4 plate, according to this pdf on the gov.uk website the top, bottom and side margins have to be a (minimum) 11mm.

I've rigged my plate up in illustrator using the exact dimensions specified including the legal font size etc, and it looks to be that its merely 1-2mm out of legality, thats it!
I've highlighted in red the margin, and the white area at the top and bottom of the letters are the over-run into the margin.

BntzD25.png

BG 182
I find as long as you run legal font, you usually get left alone, still, even just by 1mm it's still technically not legal though lmao

Yeah I know crazy lol, to be fair though, as I mentioned in a post in exterior mods, I had 3/4 font on a standard plate for about 3-4 years and never had any bother!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
If the plate doesn't show the BSAU145d (IIRC) and manufacturers postcode, the plate is illegal aswell.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
If the plate doesn't show the BSAU145d (IIRC) and manufacturers postcode, the plate is illegal aswell.

I watched an episode of Traffic Cops once and the coppers pulled a guy over for an illegal number plate and the words of the police were "a number plate has to have its own unique BS number which this one doesn't have". umm isn't the BS number the British Standard number and the unique number is the registration of the car??!

But yes, I've heard many stories about as long as its legal font and spacing with the BS number and the place it was made its fine. It's only so they can pick it up on ANPR really

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I watched an episode of Traffic Cops once and the coppers pulled a guy over for an illegal number plate and the words of the police were "a number plate has to have its own unique BS number which this one doesn't have". umm isn't the BS number the British Standard number and the unique number is the registration of the car??!

But yes, I've heard many stories about as long as its legal font and spacing with the BS number and the place it was made its fine. It's only so they can pick it up on ANPR really

Exactly right.

Mine is smaller than standard but had no probs for 18 months. It also is recognised by the automatic car park barrier camera at work and the local tesco car park recognition camera... which both use the same technology as ANPR camera's.

BG 182
I've ordered them, can't wait for them to arrive. Every car I've owned I've always bought a fresh set of plates. Funny how something so trivial can tidy up the look of a car!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Had a 3/4 on mine for about 6 months then one night got pulled as a random stop and they spotted it. Told him it came on the car and i wasn't aware and I would change it so he let me off and on my way.

Seen the exact same copper a few weeks later with the plate still on, he swung round, caught me up and fined me lol!

Had a 3/4 on mine for about 6 months then one night got pulled as a random stop and they spotted it. Told him it came on the car and i wasn't aware and I would change it so he let me off and on my way.

Seen the exact same copper a few weeks later with the plate still on, he swung round, caught me up and fined me lol!
Haha, they never forget lol!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member

Only true if the plate has been made up since 2001 when the law changed. However this wont help on cars made after that date EXCEPT if they have a personal plate. For example, my personal plate was made up when I bought it (before the law change) and I simply change it from car to car. It doesnt show any information (postcode or BS) but is still perfectly legal.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Only true if the plate has been made up since 2001 when the law changed. However this wont help on cars made after that date EXCEPT if they have a personal plate. For example, my personal plate was made up when I bought it (before the law change) and I simply change it from car to car. It doesnt show any information (postcode or BS) but is still perfectly legal.
That's also true, but was left out of my comment to the OP due to him wanting a new plate.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I've ordered them, can't wait for them to arrive. Every car I've owned I've always bought a fresh set of plates. Funny how something so trivial can tidy up the look of a car!

This is true. My car isn't "mine" until I put my number plate on, I was driving my Clio for 9 months before I put my plate on it and it felt wrong!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Been running illegal plates on various cars almost since I started driving 10 years ago... never had a problem from Police, even when I've been pulled over back in the days!