ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3-3.5 K limit who does ?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Right then people who sticks to a 3 - 3.5 RPM limit when there car is cold and how long do people wait till they give it the beans ??? I give the old girl 10-15 mins then shes primed for a good old thrashing :D

Leon Cupra 300
err i generally keep it below 4k but in morning i have to pull out onto 60mph busy road so norm end up goin to 6k in first and second after about 2 mins but cant be helped, after that give it 10 mins or so, or when it lets me use full revs:D

Focus ST
Normally under 3-4k for 10mins or so from cold but as others say its hard to really tell without an oil temp gauge. Will vary with ambient temperature and also how long car has been stood for.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about religiously keeping below 3k revs for 15 mins, as long as you don't thrash it within first 10 mins.

Clio 182 Trophy
I stick to a max of 3000 till oil gauge is up to half way marker. The car is a b**ch to drive when cold!!!

Saxo VTS
Normaly under 3k foe the whole journey tbh lol.

I don't bother timing it. Usualy go by the oil pressure as this is relative to oil temp(to a degree)...not water temp or any crap like that.

But yes, that is usualy within about 10-15minutes.

Deffo find it drives along the dual carriageway better after say 20 minutes than it does 10minutes.

Low revs ftw :D

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i always go easy until the water temp has settled at norm temp, and any1 that says u have 2 wait for the oil not the water, its utter b****cks because for the water 2 b that hot the engine has 2 b that hot so therefore the oil will b hot! lol

Saxo VTS
i always go easy until the water temp has settled at norm temp, and any1 that says u have 2 wait for the oil not the water, its utter b****cks because for the water 2 b that hot the engine has 2 b that hot so therefore the oil will b hot! lol

N#ah I find the water temp too tempramental and unreliable.

Oil pressure follows a trend. First 15 minutes of driving and I find water temp is a bit hit or miss then will eventualy settle.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i wait untill the water temp is at normal, i only worry about lack of oil not lack of oil temp! as long as their is oil with a resonable heat in it it does the job for me

172cup
got a 1 mile combination of drive and country lane... so 5 mins of second gear 2k... after that 70mph using the rev band. slick 50 and vr1 sorts that out.

106 GTi
I wait till I have got the coolant up to temp, then from past cars with oil temp gauges it seems to take another 10 or so mins after that for the oil temp to come up. Only then does she get the full size 11 in her.

Monaco Blue 172
subconsciously yes, cos it takes me at least 5 mins to get onto a decent road, by which time she's warm anyway, and i dont like to make her scream in residential areas! :nono:

yeah, i generally keep to around 3k, even though i have 2 reasonably long streches of road to get to work, i leave at 7.15am, so no one is about.......dont know how i resist really lol

Anyone who has driven a car with an oil temp guage will tell you that oil takes a lot longer to warm up than water. Typically, water temp will settle after after around 3 miles (depending on ambient temp), oil can take a full 10 miles and for all engine internals to reach optimum operating temp it can be (a variable) 10-15 miles.

Vectra :(
Below 3k for first 5 mins

Below 4k for the next 5 mins

I never go on cam or above 5k for about 15 mins if its from cold.

If i have used it to go shopping or something and then get back in and its warmish i will tend not to bother with the above.

Saying that i had a family emergency the other day and i ragged it from cold pretty much to get where i needed to ASAP.

Also in my Vectra, i rag that from cold on a daily basis and in 45k of doing so it has never missed a beat.

106 GTi
Anyone who has driven a car with an oil temp guage will tell you that oil takes a lot longer to warm up than water. Typically, water temp will settle after after around 3 miles (depending on ambient temp), oil can take a full 10 miles and for all engine internals to reach optimum operating temp it can be (a variable) 10-15 miles.

Fully agreed, as I posted above in my reply. Both my 309 and 205 GTi's had an oil temp gauge and it was another 10 or so mins before the oil temp came up after the coolant getting to running temp.

Right then people who sticks to a 3 - 3.5 RPM limit when there car is cold and how long do people wait till they give it the beans ??? I give the old girl 10-15 mins then shes primed for a good old thrashing :D

Yep, I keep mine below 2k for a good half hour. Driving miss daisy!!!

Scirocco GT 210

Yep, I keep mine below 2k for a good half hour. Driving miss daisy!!!

I rev mine to 2k max whilst it's cold, tis horrid if I have to go straight onto a national speed limit road :dapprove:

Once warm - it gets hell :approve:

RB 182 with CUP packs
I have a "20 min rule" where the car doesn't go above 3.5K for the first 20 mins.

NO VTEC'ing for @ least that long!!!