ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 Tuning

220 Trophy
I know there’s a lot of ‘experts’ out there but has anyone actually tuned their 220 yet, if so what did you do please?

I’ve booked mine at Engine Dynamics for an intercooler, filter, induction hose and re-map, should hopefully be around 250bhp.

(Apparently none of the 220’s actually come with 220, but closer to 210 (the 200’s all come with 200!).)

There is a 275bhp kit but this is not only a lot more expensive but needs an exhaust and new turbo etc and I want to keep the car standard-ish.

Would be interested in any experiences please.

Thanks

220 Trophy
Thanks, missed that one.

I've been told that the standard IC’s are barely up to the job as standard let alone if the engine has been mapped, therefore the first thing to do regardless is an uprated IC. Obviously If I’m fitting an uprated IC then it would be rude not to have it mapped....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I would be worried about fitting a fmic to mine as I seen how hot it was getting in the summer when it was 25c outside and I was out a blast, I couldn't touch the bonnet!

220 Trophy
Noted, although Engine Dynamics know what they're doing and they haven't seen any problems on their 275 kit with the various temps so I should be alright with 'only' 250.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I know there’s a lot of ‘experts’ out there but has anyone actually tuned their 220 yet, if so what did you do please?

I’ve booked mine at Engine Dynamics for an intercooler, filter, induction hose and re-map, should hopefully be around 250bhp.

(Apparently none of the 220’s actually come with 220, but closer to 210 (the 200’s all come with 200!).)

There is a 275bhp kit but this is not only a lot more expensive but needs an exhaust and new turbo etc and I want to keep the car standard-ish.

Would be interested in any experiences please.

Thanks
My 220 came out with 220 pre map and 250 post map with 260 torque at RS Tuning. Charge temps on the OE IC do go high but it has quick recovery rates, but we're talking constant throttle bashing out on track. If you have the RS Monitor on board you'll see how quickly they recover when you back off. FMIC definitely helps if you're a regular trackdayer, the compromise is the higher coolant temps as it blocks a portion of the radiator. Again backing off helps drop the coolant temps, Pro Alloy do make a radiator for this.

There's a chap on the Mk4 FB group running his own hybrid and does them on an exchange basis which is significantly cheaper and is a tried and tested option that he's been running for 2 years at 284bhp.

220 Trophy
Thanks, that’s really helpful.

I’m only relaying what Engine Dynamics told me, they’ve no reason to lie about the 220’s apparently making less than quoted but that’s what apparently they’ve seen. ED use an Airtec IC, which from what I’ve seen directs air back into the radiator.

Yes I have the RS Monitor, not really looked at everything yet though, just been messing with the Sport button settings……!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I personally wouldn't use the Airtec intercooler. I've had both Airtec and Pro Alloy and can say from them both being rolling road that the Airtec intercooler had big pressure losses which equated to missing out on approx 10hp. Pro Alloy is a better quality core, and again tested against the likes of Airtec and Wagner by the chap running the hybrid turbo... Pro came out on top.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
What's the deal with the boxes on the 200 and 220, read they aren't really up to much of a torque increase?
280ft/lbs, I believe there's rumblings of an uprated clutch setup being looked into/worked on. And again that figure day in day over 2 years, when you think stock IIRC is around 177ft/lbs..

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Touch wood, so far (that I know of) not one gearbox failure from any mapped 200 or 220. My old 200 has been mapped with about 240ft/lbs for about 2 years and still going strong.... ??

Same box in both 200 and 220? What gives the latter the 20hp increase, just a map or some hardware as well?

I ask as the 200 has come down to a very intriguing price...

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Same box in both 200 and 220? What gives the latter the 20hp increase, just a map or some hardware as well?

I ask as the 200 has come down to a very intriguing price...
Same box, 2013 models had poor software which Renault revised. Night and day difference, much smoother and quicker gear predictions.

220 facelift turbo has a bigger cold side and bigger inlet. Better steering rack. Its hard to describe as I've said to quite a few people it's the tech and software along with such things as the LED front headlights and better rear lights, different wheels ( all of which I preffered to the 200) that make the whole package just better. Its like the 200 was ok, but the starter to the 220 main course. The 220 just felt like a better place to be and to drive. If you're not fussed about the headlights, wheels, then the 200 with the revised gearbox software is all good.