ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 trophy vs fiesta st 200 track battle

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
not in English but lap times at the end....

Ive been wondering how the new ST200 would compare on track to the clio trophy, I knew the regular ST was a little way behind but I thought the 200 might be better.

By the way, I'm not putting the fiesta down, its really great, better than the clio in some ways, but for outright ability it seems the clio is still a little in front.

200,182 Trophy, Cup
They would probably have done quicker lap times if they spent more time going forward and less going sideways....mind numbing footage !

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The new Civic Type R was quicker round the TG track than the new Focus RS. I know which one I'd buy though...

The box would be a deal breaker on the Trophy. Neither deliver blistering performance, its all about the feel, the drive....Smiles per miles over track times, all day, everyday.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The new Civic Type R was quicker round the TG track than the new Focus RS. I know which one I'd buy though...

The box would be a deal breaker on the Trophy. Neither deliver blistering performance, its all about the feel, the drive....Smiles per miles over track times, all day, everyday.

Apparently the box on the trophy's much better.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I'll take a proper sequential over an average manual.

But then by my terms a proper sequential is this;

If it was as responsive as that, yes, I'd take it. But a transmission that fast won't be seen in a road car for a long time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is that a dogbox?

Dog box/crash box is just a normal gearbox but uses dogs to engage the gears for quick shifting rather than the normal synchros, they're still h-pattern boxes.
A sequential box shifts even quicker but you don't put the lever in a gear - you pull back to shift up, you push forward to shift down. They use dogs too but they're not just a 'dog box'

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Apparently the box on the trophy's much better.
Still crap according to the evo writer I spoke to. He said the magazines have taken it pretty easy on Renault, because they are brilliant to deal with in terms of press cars and long termers.

Anyone that's driven the 200 edc and vag dsg can see the issues after only a few miles. A 2005 golf has a better box , and the games moved on massively since then.

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
"According to"

It's bang average in auto I agree, in manual I can't see how you could possibly improve it? It's instantaneous.

I can drive it around town without having to rev the arse off it to get it to overtake your average diesel hatchback unlike my previous 197 but when I want to take it to the track I switch it to manual and have fun.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
not all journos are so harsh towards it now, there are some good reviews out there.
This ones quite positive

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
"According to"

It's bang average in auto I agree, in manual I can't see how you could possibly improve it? It's instantaneous.

I can drive it around town without having to rev the arse off it to get it to overtake your average diesel hatchback unlike my previous 197 but when I want to take it to the track I switch it to manual and have fun.
I agree with your sentiment , I have thought the same...how can you improve on instantaneous ?, gears change in 0.75 of a second, or less than a tenth of a second.
I think its the feel of it that some people don't like, in that it dilutes the fun, or loses the fun and control of a manual box, its seems most folk want a hot hatch to always have a manual box. Ive read and seen numerous reviews that say there is nothing wrong with the trophies gearbox, other than its not a manual. Well that's just not a reason to me, especially when it makes the car faster.
For me it doesn't lose any of the fun of a manual, in race mode it Is manual, but better and faster.
Thank goodness we are all different.
David

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
I've never listened to anyone who reviews cars, prefer to get in them and drive them. I'd seen the reviews of the 200EDC when it came out and always thought I need to give it a go when the time comes and then came along the 220 just at the time I wanted to move my 197 on.

I drove it having never really driven an auto and was blown away by how good it was, instantly made my 197 feel like a prehistoric rock.

I pushed my 197 to the limits on track days but the Trophy would run rings around it.