ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2118 two designs!

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Hello all.. Just purchased some 2118's and had them dipped and powdercoated today.

Decided to weigh them and 3 are 7kg's and the other is 7.9kg... Turns out the inside of the heavier wheel is a different design and doesnt have a groove running around the inside.

Anyone noticed this? Guess its from different years.

DSC_2033_zpsdd665e0a.gif

DSC_2034_zpsd1d73146.gif

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
There was never a mag 2118 used the mag ones are a different part number.

What happened is the UK cup cars used the origional wheel 7kg, supplied through renault sport only not general sale (this was the only one you could buy). Palmersport bought a load of new cup cars and had joe public drive round in them in Bedford for experience days and they got fed up of bending wheels and having a big bill every month for new ones. Palmersport asked Speedline to make a stronger version which they did and no more bent wheels. These ones are the ones which are on general sale to the public (various offsets). You can not buy the lighter verson. The lighter ones actually have a weight stamp cast in 6.9kg.

How that clears it all up.

172 Cup Jenvey'd
I see, so what ive got is 3 Renault sport lighter ones and 1 general revised wheel then... Thanks for the information!

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Wouldnt say odd balancing? Balancing is balancing.. I'd like to think of it as an opportunity to do some corner weighting haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There was never a mag 2118 used the mag ones are a different part number.

What happened is the UK cup cars used the origional wheel 7kg, supplied through renault sport only not general sale (this was the only one you could buy). Palmersport bought a load of new cup cars and had joe public drive round in them in Bedford for experience days and they got fed up of bending wheels and having a big bill every month for new ones. Palmersport asked Speedline to make a stronger version which they did and no more bent wheels. These ones are the ones which are on general sale to the public (various offsets). You can not buy the lighter verson. The lighter ones actually have a weight stamp cast in 6.9kg.

How that clears it all up.

Good info that :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Good info that :)

As you know there's a lot of people who think they know about stuff but don't, if you corrected everyone you would have to post every 5 mins. Just though there been to much on this subject and it needed clearing up.

BTW if anyone wants the sell some origional design wheels I'm after some.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I think I have the original ones. They came from a cup car. They have the speedline logos imprinted on the wheel face rather than a sticker. And they have three lots of writing between some of the spokes, one of which states the weight. Will take some pictures tomorrow.

172 Cup Jenvey'd
I think I have the original ones. They came from a cup car. They have the speedline logos imprinted on the wheel face rather than a sticker. And they have three lots of writing between some of the spokes, one of which states the weight. Will take some pictures tomorrow.

If they have the logos imprinted then they are the magnesium speedline 2020..

ph1 19 16v, ph1 172
Jesus, even though there's no functional or aesthetic difference when fitted, just knowing that one wheel was different to the others would niggle away in my mind and drive me absolutely mental.

but then I am a bit OCD like that :dead:

edit to add: I have one brand new spare OE alloy for my ph1 19 16V that I know I can never use because like the wheels here, it's a slightly different design to the original set. If one of my wheels got damaged, I'd have to hunt out another one the same and have it refurbed (or the whole set to match) rather than use the dissimilar new one.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
That sounds fair enough what Evogone has said but that doesn't bring into account the European wheels with embossed logos on the face which are not magnesium and are circa 7kg.

The magnesium 2020's are something like 4-5kg as martijnk has a set on his cup racer.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
That sounds fair enough what Evogone has said but that doesn't bring into account the European wheels with embossed logos on the face which are not magnesium and are circa 7kg.

The magnesium 2020's are something like 4-5kg as martijnk has a set on his cup racer.

Mine have the embossed writing but are 100% not mag.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

The magnesium 2020's are something like 4-5kg as @martijnk has a set on his cup racer.

Renaultsport Europe had the embossed ones when they used them for Euro cup race series. They run 182 rear hubs so they wanted a ET 47/8 a (not the UK cup ones) wheel so they made these and you could only buy through renaultsport europe.