ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

207 GTi vs...

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I have had a mk 1 172 about 3 years ago now what i think he is saying is that if out of the power band in the clio a TDI would pull on one due to having the better midrange . example of this was coming home from Southhampton on Motor way in 5th with a VW TDI sat up my ass at about 80 ish floor it and did not pull away to much :eek: You realy do need to keep thoses cars at at least 5K to make them move .

Alan

Lol, no I don't own an RS Clio at the minute. I think on a dead straight road a 172 would not get past this 207 gti, let alone 'paste it' as some people seem to think. I think the Clio would handle better but again its not so much faster than the 207 that it would get past.
Some people seem to think their 172 is some sort of supercar, yes they are reasonably fast and provide great performance for the running costs and initial outlay but its not a lambo. Any diesel german exec would nail one midrange.

You have to forgive me for not agreeing to what your saying for the pure and simple reason that you dont actually own a 172 clio.

You honestly think a 2.5 TDI A4 could beat a 172 mid range? Jog on!!!

Ive f**ked so many im thinking about putting a "bye bye TDI" sticker on my car...

Please mate, buy a 172 then tell me about how its the slowest thing known to man. I dont think ive heard a less negative person on here!

Although in spite of this you are entitled to your own opinion so kudos to you:rasp:

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
Hmmmm not as clear cut as it initally appears.
Peugeot quote 6.9 0-60, with a top end of 137, that would be quicker than a full fat 172 then.

Do you always believe what you read? @ 290kg's heavier? 1600cc>? It makes 175bhp yes...

I have to be honest mate i reckon id muff a 207 gti.

My saxo VTS f**ked all sorts of Pug's the 207 GTi included, im going to look out for one:evil:

Pub talk! :clown:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
An A4 2.5 TDI wouldnt be too far away mid range i dont think.Seen as a 530D pulls away from a 182

I see the "My Clio is the fastest thing on the roads ever and I can beat anything in the world, even if its got more power" people are back.

Im glad, youve been missed.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Whatever pal all im saying is im not going to be subject to scrutinisation from someone doesnt even own a 172. The 172 is fast and it is faster than a few cars going. But i dont remember saying its the fastest car in the world.

IM not making it out somthing its not, every comment i make is my opinion whether people agree or not i couldnt give a rats bollock, i thank you.

How do you he hasnt had 172 for the last 5 years?

What has owning one got to do with anything?

It makes his opinion more credible if anything, as its not so biased.

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
I dont think it really matters which is the quickest - but if you want to really know the quickest car will be the one with the best driver behind the wheel!
Yes, there are quicker cars, and there are slower cars? Who cares? Surely you own a RSC because you have fun driving it? Character is the magic ingredient, and that is what is really lacking in alot of new breed hot hatches.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Exactly which is why I haven't commented. 172's are only 165hpish anyway and if its geared to offset the weight difference there is no reason why it can't keep up, and that before you factor in the additional torque it offers.

Do you own a 172? Your very half empty mate, they do say its 5% the car and 95% the driver, ive shown many a Audi, Bmw driver what renaultsports are all about.

Whatever pal all im saying is im not going to be subject to scrutinisation from someone doesnt even own a 172. The 172 is fast and it is faster than a few cars going. But i dont remember saying its the fastest car in the world.

IM not making it out somthing its not, every comment i make is my opinion whether people agree or not i couldnt give a rats bollock, i thank you.

He was responding to my post. I agree with what he's said since and I own a 172.

Lol, no I don't own an RS Clio at the minute. I think on a dead straight road a 172 would not get past this 207 gti, let alone 'paste it' as some people seem to think. I think the Clio would handle better but again its not so much faster than the 207 that it would get past.
Some people seem to think their 172 is some sort of supercar, yes they are reasonably fast and provide great performance for the running costs and initial outlay but its not a lambo. Any diesel german exec would nail one midrange.

You have to forgive me for not agreeing to what your saying for the pure and simple reason that you dont actually own a 172 clio.

You honestly think a 2.5 TDI A4 could beat a 172 mid range? Jog on!!!

Ive f**ked so many im thinking about putting a "bye bye TDI" sticker on my car...

Please mate, buy a 172 then tell me about how its the slowest thing known to man. I dont think ive heard a less negative person on here!

Although in spite of this you are entitled to your own opinion so kudos to you:rasp:

I think the 1*2's are great fun involving cars and contain the essence of a proper hot hatch like the 205 gti, an essence that is clearly missing from the 207 gti. There is no denying that the clio would be more fun to drive than the 207 gti.

I don't own a 172 Clio, I could go and buy one this afternoon if I wanted too, my current car is worth almost 182 money.

I have however driven 3 or 4 examples, a few of my good friends have them and oddly they all agree with me and alot of my comments are based around conversations with them.

I can't really be arsed to argue with you, but it appears others agree with me.

^^^ Lol I give up tbh
One car is a claimed 6.9 0-60 and the other is 7.2 or something, nobodys going to get pasted/ annhilated/ left for dead.

350Z GT
obviously cars this closely matched wouldnt 'rocket past' each other, although surely with the close power figures its all down to driver? Pretty sure everyone here likes the Renaultsport Clio's because of the feeling of driving them compared to other 'life-less' hot hatches around which dont offer the same amount of driving pleasure. Either way if its faster or not i'd rather be driving the Clio - looks better and about 1000x better feeling driving 1!

106 GTi
lol - This time tomorrow I will be Clioless - still at least it means money to spend on the GTi and a garage to keep it warm and dry.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Where the hell do people find these races? 207 GTis have been out about a year, and on a limb I bet they haven't sold many, and how many reps or familys in A4 TDI 2.5 (how the hell you know it's a 2.5 from the outside when most of them are de-badged is beyond me) think "OH JESUS IT'S A 172, I MUST RACE IT NOW - SOD THE FACT I'M A GROWN UP!". Where the hell do you all live?! I've had literally about 5 cars really properly try and 'race' me since I even started driving!

Dan

Where the hell do people find these races? 207 GTis have been out about a year, and on a limb I bet they haven't sold many, and how many reps or familys in A4 TDI 2.5 (how the hell you know it's a 2.5 from the outside when most of them are de-badged is beyond me) think "OH JESUS IT'S A 172, I MUST RACE IT NOW - SOD THE FACT I'M A GROWN UP!". Where the hell do you all live?! I've had literally about 5 cars really properly try and 'race' me since I even started driving!

Dan

Lol your forgetting that most Cliosporters never let the truth come in the way of a good story!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

Dan

Lol your forgetting that most Cliosporters never let the truth come in the way of a good story!

I'd be frankly amazed if a VTS kept pace with a 207 GTi let alone pwned it, a good friend of mine had one when I had my 206 XSi - so only 110bhp, and to be fair, the saxo was barely any quicker than me when we were driving to the cinema and stuff. Had me off the mark but once we were moving there was precious little in it.

Dan

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

If this was at me then i feel i can comment.I owned clio's for 4 years.A 172 and 182,both great and both quick cars.

When i got my 182 new in 2005 my father in law had a 530D and we used to go out on a sunday for the family dinner and i never once managed to get past him in a straight line on a d/c up to 3 figures
1 year later as i was about to sell the 182 he got a 535D and that blew me into the weeds before i had a chance to do anything about it.

So now i own a diesel but at least i can say ive been there and have a decent general knowledge of all types of petrol and diesles.

If this was not aimed at me then sorry

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Good comment mate, im not here to start arguing over whats faster and whats not im just speaking of personal opinion as is everyone else (and i respect that)

Im just speaking from personal experience, ive binned a few BMW's and Audi's i just never said which (because as we all know half of them are de-badged)

172 cup
Just spotted this thread. My best mate works for Peugeot as a technical trainer, he gets a new company car every 6 months (jammy git). Had a 207 GTi last time and I was fairly impressed to be honest although they are a big car now compared to the 206.

We never 'raced' my 172 cup with his GTi but I would guess they'd be very evenly matched in a straight line - the mid range of the 207 makes up for it's extra weight. Having said that, we both agreed that my cup was far more sporty, sounded better because of the revs, handled far better and was more fun to drive. God I was jealous of the GTi interior though!!! :)

He's got a 308 diesel now......ha ha!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Just spotted this thread. My best mate works for Peugeot as a technical trainer, he gets a new company car every 6 months (jammy git). Had a 207 GTi last time and I was fairly impressed to be honest although they are a big car now compared to the 206.

We never 'raced' my 172 cup with his GTi but I would guess they'd be very evenly matched in a straight line - the mid range of the 207 makes up for it's extra weight. Having said that, we both agreed that my cup was far more sporty, sounded better because of the revs, handled far better and was more fun to drive. God I was jealous of the GTi interior though!!! :)

He's got a 308 diesel now......ha ha!

I have to say i was a little sceptical to the fact it carries nearly an extra 295kg's thats like carying an extra 2-3 people on board all the time against the clio 172.

Thats what amazes me as to how it can move all that weight so quickly, i think this is an open book, id have to see it on an airstrip!

torque maybe

Think you've hit the nail on the head there a 172 has 200NM of torque available a 5200rpm, the 207 gti has 240NM spread much more evenly accross the rev range, hence its decent midrange.
As said it would be very close although you would be having much more fun in the Clio.

197 FF + 370bhp Cupa K1
The 207 is punchier low down and it would be down to the driver i think in a straight line. If there are corners involved you have no worries, Peugeot have gone all soft, the mini delivers so much more with the same engine.
She wasted her money, imo.

your female friend is stoopid! +1