ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

207 GTi vs...

02 Clio Sport 172 Full Fa
A female friend has bought a brand new 207 GTi and wants to race my 172FF

As far as Im aware the 207 is 175bhp right? Surely I would leave it standing, sorry to those who are sick of such threads but as the 207s a relatively new car her proposition has got me thinking as I dont know much about them...

Mk4 .:R32
why would it leave you standing just out of interest?

pretty evens I think, same engine as the gen2 cooper s iirc

I have a s/s cat back system whereas hers is standard so we're equal on power at the very least, mines been run in hers is new, mines the lighter car is it not?

pretty evens I think, same engine as the gen2 cooper s iirc

That's correct.

Don't forget that it's a turbo, so it's going to have a good mid range whack that the Clio won't. from everything I've heard the 207's engine is pretty good - it's just the chassis that's a mess.

In fact, I think evo said the 197 would be perfect if it had the 207 GTI engine....

Oh right i didnt know it was a turbo, does it have a VVT engine aswell as the turbo?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Think this one could be well open to debate, The 207 is heavier than the 172 by 290kg's, now when you consider the fact that its only got 175bhp thats not exactly a fair power-to-weight ratio.

Its has a bit more torque although i would say if it has any Lag' on the turbo you could well be on to a winner.

If the clio is well run in i reckon itll do the 207 in....

If you do decide to race, mind and check oil and tires and take the spare out, also quarter tank of fuel. ;)

Im surprised nobody seems to have any comparisons on YouTube yet, usually any potential citroen/peugeot - Renault head to heads are usually decided before the car reaches the high street but the glitz n glamour of the 182 an 197s with their racing stripes leaves us 172s often uncompared to the newcomers :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Woulld be close. Same engine as cooper s but only 5speed box. Very heavy cars, and pretty crap TBH. My step-sister works for peugeot, even the guys there think they're gash.

straight line 207GTi was good, round the bends it was boring and incapable, and traction control kicked in even when turned off!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im sure ive seen something advertised in the back of a performance mag about these.I remember the old LAD adverts too selling people no more than a plate of trifle and pretending it was faster

MCS R56
A female friend has bought a brand new 207 GTi and wants to race my 172FF

As far as Im aware the 207 is 175bhp right? Surely I would leave it standing, sorry to those who are sick of such threads but as the 207s a relatively new car her proposition has got me thinking as I dont know much about them...

Your female friend is stoopid!

Hmmmm not as clear cut as it initally appears.
Peugeot quote 6.9 0-60, with a top end of 137, that would be quicker than a full fat 172 then.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Peugeot quote 6.9 0-60, with a top end of 137, that would be quicker than a full fat 172 then.

Do you always believe what you read? @ 290kg's heavier? 1600cc>? It makes 175bhp yes...

I have to be honest mate i reckon id muff a 207 gti.

My saxo VTS fucked all sorts of Pug's the 207 GTi included, im going to look out for one:evil:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
There wouldn't be a huge amount in it, if anything really. I test drove one of these when they first came out. It doesn't drive like a hot hatch at all, but it's very comfy, and the overboost on the engine gives impressive mid range for overtakes. Don't expect to be able to get past it unless you've got a *REALLY* long straight.

Dan

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Be warned... The new Mini Cooper S only has 175BHP but has oodles more torque and I only reeled it in after 4th gear. EVO writer Jethro mentioned most of them who get them RR'd get considerably higher.

Monaco Ph2 172
Woulld be close. Same engine as cooper s but only 5speed box. Very heavy cars, and pretty crap TBH. My step-sister works for peugeot, even the guys there think they're gash.

Peugeot's latest generation of cars are the most ugly ever made. The whole range, from top to bottom, is an abomination.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Be warned... The new Mini Cooper S only has 175BHP but has oodles more torque and I only reeled it in after 4th gear. EVO writer Jethro mentioned most of them who get them RR'd get considerably higher.

I remember reading that.Same old BMW not giving proper quotes to keep the beast quiet

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Do you always believe what you read? @ 290kg's heavier? 1600cc>? It makes 175bhp yes...

My saxo VTS f**ked all sorts of Pug's the 207 GTi included, im going to look out for one:evil:

Depends how its geared.

White 197
Hang on a sec chaps. The 207 GTI did very well in the track and race car "hot hatch of the year award"

From memory it finished 3rd with the Clio finishing 1st.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Here is evo's review of the car with a clever over boost button

The Peugeot’s up first and for that we’re in the South of France and heading up to the fabulous Col de Vence soon after breakfast. The 207 GTI THP 175 – to give it its full complement of initials and digits – looks good as you walk up behind it. There’s more than a hint of the old 206 WRC car with its wide hips and low rear skirt. Touches that distinguish this as the hottest 207 come in the form of a tailgate spoiler, 17in ‘Pitlane’ alloys, satin chrome door mirror covers and twin chrome trapezoid exhaust pipes. Continue around the considerable perimeter to the front and things get less WRC and slightly more awkward looking. The grille has a sort of Ugly Betty grin about it, its edges seemingly permanently stretched by instruments of orthodontic torture.

Pop the bonnet and you’ll see the THP 175 engine cradled in ample surroundings. It’s the same unit you’ll find in the Mini Cooper S, and it’s a bit of a corker. The THP stands for Turbo High Pressure, and the KKK turbocharger is a twin-scroll item. This apparently means that the exhaust gases from cylinders 1 and 4, and 2 and 3 are paired and then passed through scrolls to control the flow to the turbine. The result is that it starts generating boost from just 1000rpm, which in turn helps response. As on the Mini, there’s also an overboost facility that delays the opening of the wastegate, allowing pressure to swell from 0.8bar to 1bar and increasing torque by an extra 15lb ft as a result. All in all, a very clever piece of kit.

Unlike the Mini, the GTI makes do with just a five-speed gearbox, but it’s far from a handicap. The ratios are well-spaced so that fifth is a genuinely unstressed ‘top’ and the other four combine with the engine’s flexibility to provide all the options you could ever need. It makes you think that the now seemingly ubiquitous six-speed ’box is probably more of a marketing tool than an engineering necessity.

Climb inside and you’re welcomed by the sculpted embrace of a chunky leather and Alcantara bucket seat. Swing the door shut and you’ll find yourself sitting a long way inside the car. This, combined with a jumbo-sized steering wheel, gives you a curious Alice In Wonderland feeling of being a child in an adult’s car. For the first time in hot hatch history, parking sensors really ought to be standard, although this is probably the price you pay for a five-star NCAP safety rating.

The dashboard’s plastics and design are all inoffensive, but in an age of Piano Black finishes and mood lighting it’s a less sophisticated ambience than its competitors’. The speedo is, however, a sensible size and nobody is going to care a fig how it looks either inside or out if it drives like a modern-day 205…

The first quarter of a mile leading out of the hotel could do with a new layer of tarmac and the 207 patters and fidgets away, transmitting every protruding pimple up through the seat and indicating the stiffer suspension over its little brother, the GT. The road smoothes out as it gently snakes in the direction of Vence and the col beyond. Already, however, things aren’t looking too good for the five stars.

The 207 is a conspicuously unmechanical car. The pedals feel floppy and although each gear snicks home well enough, the gangly throw across the gate is a bit vague. The enormous steering wheel doesn’t exactly flood information through to your fingertips either, instead twirling away as though it’s fly by wire.

Out of Vence, down to second, nail the throttle, up to third and overboost pulls the GTI eagerly towards the mountains, exhaust note bouncing off the rocks. The first couple of miles are fast with quick third- and fourth-gear bends. Turn-in proves rapid, loading the chassis, which then carves through with impressive grip. Lift off mid-corner and the back end instantly tightens the line, adding to the keenness.

But as the caramel-coloured road begins to twist ever tighter, the 207 starts to stumble. For a start, with those distant extremities it’s a hard car to place. This means you find yourself tending towards the middle of the road to relieve the nagging fear that you’re about to clatter the nearside mirror into a rockface. Fine, until you find another car coming the other way, particularly if it’s another 207 with an anxious driver.

Into tighter corners the initial bite remains strong and you can even feel the inside rear wheel begin to hang in the arch. But as soon as the electric steering has any real lock applied, you lose all sense of what the front Bridgestones are doing, making the rest of the corner a very vague series of stabs based entirely on what you can see through the windscreen.

As the road straightens after the apex and you let the lock off, the rim whizzes back towards the straight-ahead right up until the last few degrees when it suddenly turns sticky again and stops self-centring, thereby threatening to punt you off the side of the mountain if you don’t do something a bit sharpish. There’s also a curious under-damped motion from the rear of the car, which seems to continue gently moving for some time after a corner, and if you get the front wheels spinning then frequently the only way of knowing is by the winking ESP light.

I spent all day ragging up and down the iconic Monte stage, desperately longing to unearth a glimmer of the genius that I’d hoped for. Underneath it all there was a chassis capable of quite exciting things, but it always felt tantalisingly out of reach because the primary controls leave you feeling like you’re driving a pillow. I searched the entire dashboard in case I was missing a ‘Sport’ button that would miraculously tense every sinew, but the search was in vain. The brakes never wilted and that engine never lagged, but sadly there was no escaping the fact that the 207 GTI is resolutely not a five-star car.

My saxo VTS f**ked all sorts of Pug's the 207 GTi included, im going to look out for one:evil:

Depends how its geared.

Exactly which is why I haven't commented. 172's are only 165hpish anyway and if its geared to offset the weight difference there is no reason why it can't keep up, and that before you factor in the additional torque it offers.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And it only has 5 gears instead of the six it was meant to have,would this be better on a turbo car

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Depends how its geared.

Exactly which is why I haven't commented. 172's are only 165hpish anyway and if its geared to offset the weight difference there is no reason why it can't keep up, and that before you factor in the additional torque it offers.

Do you own a 172? Your very half empty mate, they do say its 5% the car and 95% the driver, ive shown many a Audi, Bmw driver what renaultsports are all about.

MCS R56

Peugeot's latest generation of cars are the most ugly ever made. The whole range, from top to bottom, is an abomination.

Indeed. They've gone for the basking shark front end.

Do you own a 172? Your very half empty mate, they do say its 5% the car and 95% the driver, ive shown many a Audi, Bmw driver what renaultsports are all about.

Lol, no I don't own an RS Clio at the minute. I think on a dead straight road a 172 would not get past this 207 gti, let alone 'paste it' as some people seem to think. I think the Clio would handle better but again its not so much faster than the 207 that it would get past.
Some people seem to think their 172 is some sort of supercar, yes they are reasonably fast and provide great performance for the running costs and initial outlay but its not a lambo. Any diesel german exec would nail one midrange.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Lol, no I don't own an RS Clio at the minute. I think on a dead straight road a 172 would not get past this 207 gti, let alone 'paste it' as some people seem to think. I think the Clio would handle better but again its not so much faster than the 207 that it would get past.
Some people seem to think their 172 is some sort of supercar, yes they are reasonably fast and provide great performance for the running costs and initial outlay but its not a lambo. Any diesel german exec would nail one midrange.

^^^^^^^^^ + 1 Spot on :approve:

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
True, but outright straight line speed is not what the RS Clios are about.

Its about offering a complete package, aimed more specifically at the driving enthusiast.

In all honesty i would expect the 207 to actually be the quicker car, but if youre not smiling when youre driving it - then theres not much point in driving it at all!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

You have to forgive me for not agreeing to what your saying for the pure and simple reason that you dont actually own a 172 clio.

You honestly think a 2.5 TDI A4 could beat a 172 mid range? Jog on!!!

Ive fucked so many im thinking about putting a "bye bye TDI" sticker on my car...

Please mate, buy a 172 then tell me about how its the slowest thing known to man. I dont think ive heard a less negative person on here!

Although in spite of this you are entitled to your own opinion so kudos to you:rasp:

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
Why enter into a pointless arguement? I bought a Clio because it was fun to drive.

If i wanted to race everything on the road i would have bought an old Impreza for next to nothing.

You have to forgive me for not agreeing to what your saying for the pure and simple reason that you dont actually own a 172 clio.

You honestly think a 2.5 TDI A4 could beat a 172 mid range? Jog on!!!

Ive f**ked so many im thinking about putting a "bye bye TDI" sticker on my car...

Please mate, buy a 172 then tell me about how its the slowest thing known to man. I dont think ive heard a less negative person on here!

Although in spite of this you are entitled to your own opinion so kudos to you:rasp: