ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200bhp Petrol vs 200bhp Diesel

Only fair to compare a turbo petrol 200bhp car and 200bhp turbo diesel car.

Seeing as no-one makes a car with both engine choices there is no way you can compare.

Yep closes i can find is the cars below with the same hp used in the same cars.

1.4 VW Golf GT 1.4 turbo supercharged engine 167hp and there a 170hp TDI GOlf

1.6 16V 100hp Renault (as stuck in the Megan and the Clio etc) and the 100dci they have similar cc as well.

^ Yep, agree with you Roy.

Won't ever 'sell out' and get a diesel. SOunds is soooo important from an engine, anyone who says it isn't is lying.

Diesels sound like tractors the end.

Only Diesels I like are HGV and the racing trucks.

My old mans 2.0 diesel with 800lb/ft pulls well off the lights until you have to change gear at 100rpm. The same applies to all gears. Even if it did 0-1000 in half a second it would still be f**king boring.

Torque torque torque, like half the derv boys even know what it actually is. For starters, lets talk about torque at the wheels. The gearing is so high that the actual wheel figures are far less than you might expect. Granted they do pull well in all gears but only up to 100rpm. Beyond that, I'd take a petrol every day of the week from now until the day I die. I hate deisel. It goes against everyhting that spirited driving stands for.

Eact to there own about boring the 172/182 arn't exactly the best things.

Torque at the wheel well make it simplier HP at the wheel. A diesel will get about 75% of the power it makes at max power at 2k a petrol at that sort of rpm ie half max power rpm or driving round rpm woulnd't make anywhere near that sort of % of its max power. So driving round at normla rpm the diesel has more power availible ok so the petrol would drop a few gears but that not the same you don't drive round keeping the rpm right up just to be able to get a load of your power.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Because a 172 sounds important ?

I don't have a 172 lol.

The Renaultsport engine is a hell of a lot more tuneful than any diesel.

In your opinion. Unless we're talking tuned straight sixs (Porka/BMW) or V8s and above then sound isn't something I'd usually comment on. (Saying that I heard an Evo of some sort at the Ring the other day, exhaust sounded strange as hell).

I'd put a lot more things ahead of sound when looking for a car (at the moment it's whether it's feasable good for work and personal milage). And considering I can get 70mpg (or free miles as I like to call them) I can't afford to sell just yet.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I love the posts saying it's not fair to compare a turbo petrol and a turbo diesel... That's just mad :) Diesels can also come without turbos you know... Golf SDi and the like. Granted they're pretty much the worst cars you can buy in the modern market, but still...

Dan

I love the posts saying it's not fair to compare a turbo petrol and a turbo diesel... That's just mad :) Diesels can also come without turbos you know... Golf SDi and the like. Granted they're pretty much the worst cars you can buy in the modern market, but still...

Dan

Saw a golf Sdi last night :dead:

I love the posts saying it's not fair to compare a turbo petrol and a turbo diesel... That's just mad :)

It's actually quite fair in my mind. Petrols don't actually need a turbo to make them spin. A non-turbo diesel is like the slowest thing known to man. They have to have a turbo to give any chance of SOME performance. Bolt a turbo onto a petrol and it's game over diesel.

Twin turbo V8 Ferrari F40 anyone? I guess if they did a derv the khunt would have one :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
TDI's are a good compramise for petrol if you do the miles.On a motorway i would rather spend my money on the diesel car as i know i would'nt be making the most of a revy petrol engine.The turbo help the cars out a lot as roy says but if you turbo the petrol the game is over and so is your wallet

Bolt a turbo onto a petrol and it's game over diesel.

Twin turbo V8 Ferrari F40 anyone? I guess if they did a derv the khunt would have one :)

But few of the cars are turbo so you have to compaiur what on sale and sold with full normal warenties not what could be done else you can easily argue that a 1.9 PD tdi can do 350hp.

CB600FS
Whoevers going on about sound, you can't beat a bit of 3.0 DCI Espace turbo whistle with 6 passengers, luggage and a roofrack full up pulling past petrols with a small portion of black diesel smoke just to piss them off a little more...;) *stir stir*

P.s.
This thread needs to die. Quickly.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bolt a turbo onto a petrol and it's game over diesel.

As always, a great contribution:)

If you were considering an F40, why you'd care about economy/residuals/reliability is beyond me.