ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2006 Mini Cooper S - Another One.

Peugeot 308
Well the ST is due to go back shortly and instead of getting another lease etc I decided to re-visit old ground and get another MCS.

I was quite fussy when it comes to spec.
It had to be 2005 onwards, Grey (Dark Silver) had to have Xenons with preferably full leather and multifunction steering wheel along with LSD (Albeit only 25% lock).
I also didnt want to spend too much and have a car with over 80k... So it was about a month until this one popped up on my doorstep of all places.

Its a well specced 2006 with 55k on the clock, good service history, clean MOT history (Nice new online lookup) and has 2 previous owners.

Anyway, few snaps of the car just after getting back home. (Its not filthy but could do with a detail).

IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG

The car drives well, feels sharp and goes pretty well to be honest. Its weird being back in something that likes/needs to rev unlike the Fiesta.
I've ordered a 'Pool Ball' gearknob as I despise the standard one and have ordered the two front Aero-Grills that I'll fit at somepoint.

Really smart! i didn't know these came with LSD's, thought it was only the GP's that did. What's the handling like compared to the ST ?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I like it. Only ever driven a cooper but would love a go in a cooper s. I drove a cooper when they first came out and thought it was great, loved the feel of the gearbox and the steering. Can only imagine the s will be a nice step up

Peugeot 308
Really smart! i didn't know these came with LSD's, thought it was only the GP's that did. What's the handling like compared to the ST ?

Yeah 2005+ Cars specced with the Chili Pack come with them IIRC.

Its more involving, the steering is heavier and feels like its giving more feedback. This thing on runflats is about the same in terms of ride firmness. Its more chuckable and the back end appears a little lighter than the ST but that may be down to the pony tyres on the back.

In terms of power/speed, the ST will probably have the legs thanks to its mid-range punch compared the MCS that needs revving. The box ratios on the facelift (2004+) MCS's mean that when your 'on it', its always on the boil.. which is great. I would imagine after some decent rubber, pulley upgrade and brakes the MINI would hang onto the Fiesta tbh.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Like these! They look far better than the cartoon like most recent shape!

Alan from here had a belter of a JCW a few years back, that fucker could move!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
How well do these respond to tuning?

Based on my blue/grey ones, since both of them have been modified from standard:
162bhp - standard (£ free)
197bhp - 15% pulley, colder plugs (£250)
207bhp - as above, plus dave f airbox, GRS motorsport intercooler, milltek cat back exhaust (another £650)
228bhp - all the above, plus Newman cam/450 injectors, 1320 remap (£1k or so)
235bhp - not done, but would consist of Janspeed manifold/Tomcat, remap (£600)

You can go down a variety of different routes, but £2k spent cleverly (2nd parts) would get you circa 75bhp.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Aren't the wheels you've got the lightest oe option?

I have some r56 calipers you could have for £50.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome to the club! Everyone is getting grey R35's.

Nice spec! Best colour too.
I hate those wheels though. f**king awful looking things.
I always liked them wheels. One of my favourite sets. :blush:

Edit: The R56 calipers ForceIndia has for sale are a decent upgrade for that price!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm guessing I would need need to source R56S carriers to go with?
No, r53 carriers (that are specific to the jcw upgtade). R56 carriers won't fit. The r56 calipers are the same as the r53 upgrade, but with different carriers. There's a guide on mini torque showing exactly what's needed.

Peugeot 308
Looks great mate, good to see you back in one!

I'd highly recommend the R56s brake upgrade. One of the best things I've done to mine.

Yeah I've heard people speak highly of the upgrade, I just have other things as a priority I guess, like remove the bloody budget run flats on the back! 🙈

This ones not getting lowered either, I think I'm getting old as it was a toss up between an MCS or a Mondeo ST 😂

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't mind the wheels just as much as I used to but I prefer the bullet wheels still.

Great colour especially when properly cleansed and nice little cars. Exhaust always required!

Peugeot 308
I don't mind the wheels just as much as I used to but I prefer the bullet wheels still.

Great colour especially when properly cleansed and nice little cars. Exhaust always required!

I may look at a JCW tailbox, although it shall possibly get the One-Ball mod before hand to see what its like.

Peugeot 308
Grilles are here, that will be a fun job for this weekend 😅

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Before then, I fitted my 'Pool Ball' gearknob as I had fitted to my previous MCS. @Brookie. :up::up::up:

IMG_0395.JPG

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah I've heard people speak highly of the upgrade, I just have other things as a priority I guess, like remove the bloody budget run flats on the back! 🙈

This ones not getting lowered either, I think I'm getting old as it was a toss up between an MCS or a Mondeo ST 😂
Good. Lowering them is a grand way to ruin a brilliant little car.

Peugeot 308
Good. Lowering them is a grand way to ruin a brilliant little car.

With better tyres, I think it will handle well enough.

Like you say its a brilliant little car that sits well as standard compared to say a 1*2.

I'm done with lowered cars...I think.

Mine was great on RSRs.

I lowered mine pretty much straight away and hadn't realised how bad it was. I'm currently driving an old mk1 Focus and the ride is so much better.