ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 CLIO 172FF IRRATIC IDLING

*UPDATE* 2002 CLIO 172FF IRRATIC IDLING

I started car today to run it up my street to see if it was still the same and to give it a wash.

As its sat/parked up till it can get looked at on thursday by the stealer so i don't burn out or cause damage to my clutch or cause it to start slipping by pulling away from junctions etc @ 2-3k rpm:(

Now i have a dashboard light on, its the yellow engine light down the right of the dash (Same as Ecka got up on his dash)

S5031944-1.jpg

So here is my run around in the mean time, till my 172 gets fixed :S
frontera3.gif

'07 Impreza, 182 sold now
My first guess would be the TB, Has it even been cleaned or anything??

Get oot there and give it some degreaser if not ;)

I took my samco inlet pipe off and gave it a wipe inside while stil on car a few days ago (wasn't wanting to take it off incase i damaged something)

It was black though.

And its been fine till now :(

Whys this ?

erm the elbow is before the tb so can only be you have oiled filter too much :S

Focus RS mk1
last week i had engine failure (piston ring or cracked piston) whilst looking at it at work i started it up after getting it towed and i had exactly the same problem, idles at 4000rpm and the light under the petrol light was also on but because it was chuffing smoke out i turned it straight off didnt want to wait for the revs to drop. its off to k-tec soon so will let them have a look

BMW M135i
This doesn't half sound familiar. I bet thats showing a throttle pedal pot circuit fault. Has it gone into limp mode at all yet?

Focus RS mk1
not sure about mine its fecked at the min scared to run it incase do more damage. strange how it was fine though until i got it back to work to have a look

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Had same problem with mine.

Throttle body was replaced but still happened!

Seemed to fix itself (touch wood).

Focus RS mk1
just looking through another thread on here and realised i think as to y my engine was idling at 4000rpm, i left the brether pipe off which goes from the carbon cannister to just under the plenum can this cause irratic idle??

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
id say its ur pedal, as when you disconnect it and reset it (By hitting the break pedal) it resets itself to the correct set idle.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Said in the book that it was a toxic fume light:S no one on here seems to know what they are tho, well im my case they never, bet you cant wait until thursday!

Bloody right i can't wait, but you know what Evans Bollockshaw are like.

It'll go in on thursday and they'll say "Oh Mr Harper we've found the problem its the throttle body or the accelarator pedal, but we don't have the parts in stock and they won't be in till next week" :(

Grrr :mad:

Especially when i phoned them back after the AA guy told me it could be the t body or throttle pedal, i did this to give the the heads up and maybe they could order the parts :S and return them if not needed.

That way the cars back to me sooner and aint clogging up there forecourt till it gets fixed :(

So i aint counting on getting it back thursday

RS RIP
yeah, my dad had a lambda problem on his Volvo and this light was showing.

Could be your lambda going fucked !

Maybe you've found your problem !! When this is busted the ecu gets your engine in limp mode , maybe that's why it's acting funny on idle dude

yeah, my dad had a lambda problem on his Volvo and this light was showing.

Could be your lambda going f**ked !

Maybe you've found your problem !! When this is busted the ecu gets your engine in limp mode , maybe that's why it's acting funny on idle dude

But does limp mode make the car idle at 3-4k ?

And the car runs normal apart from the over idling. :S

Even now the light has came on...

Astra van,Mk1 nova
When that light was on in the cup it did nothing, car was fine, since its gone off. (touch wood).! it didnt put my car into limp mode atal, ive found when my car going into limp mode it wound not go over 3k but idled fine, when ypu slam down the foot it slowly goes to 3k and no more:S

RS RIP
yes i've read of cars going funny on idle when lambda was on the way out...

This should show up on a fault reading with computer though.. do'nt need to experiment with changing expensive lambdas as you're going to have it read out anyway

good luck, i'll be following the thread to see if this was the prob

BMW M135i
When that light was on in the cup it did nothing, car was fine, since its gone off. (touch wood).! it didnt put my car into limp mode atal, ive found when my car going into limp mode it wound not go over 3k but idled fine, when ypu slam down the foot it slowly goes to 3k and no more:S

Yep thats limp mode, about 45mph top speed and it takes a long time to get there too! Mine was seriously shorting out the throttle pot. circuits to get it to trip, the electric fault warning light comes on and stops on and it won't rev over 3k.

RS RIP
when you get it hooked up , wo'nt hurt to check lambda readings anyway..

When reading above that sounds more like limpmode , yep.

However the light on my dads car was fume/toxic light and lambda was problem

Just had a call from he stealer and it could be due to acoustic valve being missing. :S

See here
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3852173#post3852173

Even though i've been told by many people including a mechanic its the tb or throttle pedal thats the issue. :mad:

Would it not make more sense to replace throttle body and see if that makes a difference ?

If no change out the throttle pedal ?

Rather than f**king about wasting time with an acoustic valve :evil:

They'll have an idea that it is a possible throttle body or pedal problem as i told the guy at the service desk when i dropped car off last night and he amended the job card and got me to check the info was correct and sign the new one.

Turned out to be an inlet manifold gasket boys and girls.

Cars now fine, god knows where the acoustic valve crap they came out with came from :S

As the car had runs months and month without issues till this :(

Never mind thats it fixed and i have my car working fine again (bar my handbrake cable) :D