ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200/220 centre-silencer removal?

220 Trophy
The underside of my facelift 220 is completely covered but as far as I am aware it has a centre-silencer as well as the rears.

One thing I’ve done on previous cars where I haven’t wanted to do a new full exhaust change, and also risk changing the type of sound, but just wanted to make it a tad louder is to remove the centre-silencer.

Has anyone else done this yet and if so what was the result?

Thanks

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The Akrapovic system does not have a centre, the OEM system does however. I believe the exhaust is fitted before rear beam as a single piece, so you need to cut the centre off to replace, which is a pain for returning to standard.
You can get at the rears by removing the 4 larger torques on the defuser and unclipping it from the bumper.

220 Trophy
Thanks mate. I’ve since come across a ready-made kit on eBay, so rather than going to an exhaust garage I could just do it myself. It’s only a piece of flanged stainless steel pipe & clamps so won’t be any different than taking it somewhere.

I could do with finding out though what sound difference it makes……

Thanks mate. I’ve since come across a ready-made kit on eBay, so rather than going to an exhaust garage I could just do it myself. It’s only a piece of flanged stainless steel pipe & clamps so won’t be any different than taking it somewhere.

I could do with finding out though what sound difference it makes……
Do you have a link to the section you have found on eBay as looking at also doing this

220 Trophy
I fitted the Zorstworx ebay silencer delete pipe at t'weekend, fairly easy to fit, just involved one cut in the old silencer pipe 2.5" behind the box itself. The front of the new pipe has an identical flange to the standard pipe which joins (uses original v-clamp) to the downpipe and then the rear of the new pipe sleeves over the cut part of the original pipe leading to the back of the car, it came with a clamp and I used lots of exhaust paste to make sure it was a god join. Was very easy to fit and only took say 30 mins.

Am very pleased with the sound, it hasn't changed the sound as such but in 'Normal' it has just made it a tad louder, say by 20% with perhaps a few more minor burbles. In 'Sport' its more noticeable, but not massively so and certainly hasn't spoilt it and honestly just sounds like it could have come like it as standard.

As far as I'm aware the Akrapovic exhaust is the same diameter and doesn't have the centre silencer, so presumably it will now sound the same, or pretty similar, to the OEM option with the Akrapovic exhaust.

Would definitely recommend it, like I say it just sounds like it could've come like it as standard, IMO the old standard exhaust was a tad quiet for such an ASBO car. There are a few Golf Rs around me and they're definitely still much louder even after the 220 centre silencer delete.