ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1st line/2nd line/3rd line

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've never understood the whole semester thing with the CCNA. How does it work?
I just did the 640-802 exam after watching CBT Nuggets videos and playing about with kit in our test environment at work for a few months. I don't think there's any need for it to be stretched across 4 semesters.
I then had to do the 640-553 exam to get the CCNA: Security. That exam was more difficult but you still don't have to learn so much that it needs dragging out over more than a few weeks of hard studying.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I just did the 640-802 exam after watching CBT Nuggets videos and playing about with kit in our test environment at work for a few months. I don't think there's any need for it to be stretched across 4 semesters.
I then had to do the 640-553 exam to get the CCNA: Security. That exam was more difficult but you still don't have to learn so much that it needs dragging out over more than a few weeks of hard studying.

Semester 1 = Subnetting / LAN Cconcepts / Getting to know the devices

Semester 2 = RIP / Access Control Lists

Semester 3 = VLANS / WAN Concepts / Spanning Tree

Semester 4 = WAN Protocols / NAT & PAT / Route Summarization

thats pretty much how its split up, theres lots of bits in between, but from memory they're the stand out features of each semester........

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Sem 2 also covers RIPV2 / IGRP / EIGRP / OSPF / IS-IS and briefly BGP.

Sem 3 also covers wireless

not sure what else is covered in sem 4 yet. And I agree.. it is very stretched out.. but it gives you time to get on with a normal life.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Can imagine it's just to spread it out really, so you can do it in a taught environment part time whilst you're working.

If you don't have the knowledge or the time to self study it and don't want to do a boot camp it's not a bad way to do it I guess.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
WTF? How long is a semester? That's day one when I did it at Learning Tree.

Not sure how you can stretch a 4/5 day course out over 4 semesters.

Remember for most this is part time, nightschool learning, so could be just an hour a week.

Couple that with the fact it's not a boot camp environment I can see how they can stretch it out for so long.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It's a 2 year course at the college I work at. Probably about time I got my ass into gear and got it done seen as its free but hoping our new director will let me update my MS qualifications instead.

182FF with cup packs
Remember for most this is part time, nightschool learning, so could be just an hour a week.

Couple that with the fact it's not a boot camp environment I can see how they can stretch it out for so long.

Hmm, I suppose if it was an hour a week you could stretch it out.

I just passed the JNO-541: Juniper Networks Certified Internet Associate (JNCIA-IDP) today.

4 day course a couple of months ago where we did about 2 days worth of messing around with the devices and 2 days of the guy teaching us how to hack :evil:. Took 2 days off this week to do revision. Not even touched the devices in the meantime.

One question on the exam was: What is the name of the cable used to connect to the console port?....

Null-modem is the answer, but how the feck does that even help me in the day to day operation of an IDP?

Anyway, everyone just calls them serial console cables, I don't think I've even heard the term null-modem cable since the days of lugging your Atari ST/Amiga round to a mates house to play multiplayer.

Fiesta ST
Hmm, I suppose if it was an hour a week you could stretch it out.

I just passed the JNO-541: Juniper Networks Certified Internet Associate (JNCIA-IDP) today.

4 day course a couple of months ago where we did about 2 days worth of messing around with the devices and 2 days of the guy teaching us how to hack :evil:. Took 2 days off this week to do revision. Not even touched the devices in the meantime.

One question on the exam was: What is the name of the cable used to connect to the console port?....

Null-modem is the answer, but how the feck does that even help me in the day to day operation of an IDP?

Anyway, everyone just calls them serial console cables, I don't think I've even heard the term null-modem cable since the days of lugging your Atari ST/Amiga round to a mates house to play multiplayer.

Aye but serial lead and a null modem serial lead are different (crosslinked of pins) I have to use both daily. :)

182FF with cup packs
Aye but serial lead and a null modem serial lead are different (crosslinked of pins) I have to use both daily. :)

Yeah, hence serial console cable and not serial cable. :rasp:

Anyway, it's just easier to have serial to cat5 converters instead. Less bulk to carry.

I usually end up with a franken cable because my laptop doesn't have a srrial port. So I have Laptop -> USB-to-Serial cable -> Serial to Cat 5 convertor -> Cat 5 cable -> Serial to Cat 5 convertor -> Device.

Thats why I like F5 and Bluecoat kit. Can setup IP address from front panel, saves me having to actually console onto them for initial setup.