ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

nahh not lunar gray! i love the colour but that will be 3 valvers i know of on here that will be a shade of gray lol

alien green.... not sure it would suit the mk1 tbh though it is a nice colour. i LOVE the colour of that imperial blue valver, but that would be copying lol. errrm, i love black valvers, dont see too many about but could be abit boring.. i like yellow but then thats been done too, even though i havnt seen anything of that for a while.. could be an option!

thats if your even getting it sprayed, and IMO of course lol

BMW M5 & E36
Went to a meet at RSTuning in Leeds yesterday for a run on their rolling road. My upper gearbox mount that bolts through the battery tray managed to snap clean in two on the way there so I was a little reluctant to run it, but went ahead anyway.

RSTuning are known for being accurate rather than inflating figures for good pub talk, so I'm pretty pleased with what I came out with. It's a standard Ph1 172 engine with exhaust/filter and no PAS/AC etc. Not touched the inlets and it's on the standard map.

172bhp and 162lbft :)

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

Flywheel torque/power

IMG_2742.jpg

Wheel power and AFR

IMG_2743.jpg

Closeup of flywheel figures

IMG_2744.jpg

R27
Wow the fan blew the bonnet away ;)

Figures are pretty good bhp is just about bang on. Correct me if i'm wrong but thats quite a bit more torque than what the standard engine produces isn't it?

Yeah, but hes got the advantage of no power steering and no air-con pump to drive on the AUX belt, alot on here have seen good gains with regards to torque from removing those :)

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Still not conviced with the whole pas removal/more bhp/worth-while debate, but the figures speak for themselves very nicely, very impressive torque figures:)

Have you any plans from this point or to just enjoy it as is?

BMW M5 & E36
There's no saying whether the figures are completely accurate or not, but there must have been atleast 30 1*2's run on the day and I'm happy that mine made better power and torque than most, especially given it's a completely standard engine. Some were making as little as 150bhp, and very few made close to 180 (even the 182's). Gray's was the exception making 187, incidentally he's ditched the aircon on his Ph1 too and made 164lbft.

I've known since it's been in the car that it's driven well, but I've not really had a benchmark to go against. Now it's been proven it's a good runner and the numbers on the day were strong.

Plans - fit new suspension when it turns up, this'll more than likely be while its off the road for the winter now as I only have 2x Oulton Park on the 13th and 17th left. Engine wise, I'll DIY the inlets to gasket line and maybe consider an RSTuner map, but nothing more. I can't warrant spending daft money on cams or ITB's, so I'll just enjoy it as it is. It's plenty lively enough already :)

I booked the Easytrack deal for next year for 5 trackdays. Those combined with Renaultsport's and possibly a couple of Marhams should see me pretty busy next year.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
There was a rr day at our local rr last year, and a guy tyrned up in a 172 which he had spent £5000 on the engine, and had been telling everyone how its 220bhp and eats evo's etc and i just thought 'n*b'...,then it went on the rollers and made 167bhp at the fly...,he just got in his car and drove off without a word...,there may have been a few chuckles in his absence.

BMW M5 & E36
On the way to RSTuning on Saturday the car popped out of gear unexpectedly. I thought nothing of it then noticed this when I took the bonnet off when I got there.

It's the top gearbox mount. It bolts to the gearbox then the thread comes up through the battery tray and into a rubber mount. I've managed to snap the thread clean off, nice. Must be the brutal amounts of F4R torque :S

Took the car to bits again

10112009871.jpg

10112009868.jpg

10112009869.jpg

10112009870.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
Tonight's result: I can't extract the rest of the thread from the cast mount and the sheared off part can't be welded back on because of the material differences. Bugger.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
If that happens to mine ill be tempted to make a steel mount to replace it, pure bad luck on your part tho!!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
On the way to RSTuning on Saturday the car popped out of gear unexpectedly. I thought nothing of it then noticed this when I took the bonnet off when I got there.

It's the top gearbox mount. It bolts to the gearbox then the thread comes up through the battery tray and into a rubber mount. I've managed to snap the thread clean off, nice. Must be the brutal amounts of F4R torque :S

Took the car to bits again

10112009871.jpg

10112009868.jpg

10112009869.jpg

10112009870.jpg

LOL ive told you mate, you should of fitted an F7R and it would of done this;):rasp:
DSCF2835.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
From the other thread I posted in Clio Media...

Had a good day yesterday despite the weather trying it's best to make things interesting! We had a dry spell towards lunch time but it wasn't long enough for the track to dry out much, so it stayed pretty damp and slippery for the whole day. Superb track though, really enjoyed it and I'm back there again on Tuesday for the Renaultsport Trackday :)

My car's a 172 engined Mk1 16v for those that don't know.

Some pitlane pictures:

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

And Video's:

Facing backwards with f0xy following, stick with it until the end for f0xy's spin :cool:

[youtube]eVltE8OK6nU[/youtube]

A few laps from the driest part of the day

[youtube]KHDx2UPJKCA[/youtube]

Some wet laps, forward facing camera again

[youtube]jWNx5pHHR44[/youtube]

Rear facing (same session as before, after f0xy decided to come off)

[youtube]K-l-rqwqZbM[/youtube]

And a few sideways and slippery bits :clown:

[youtube]O9hjdXO8ZcE[/youtube]

C&C Welcome :)

BMW M5 & E36
Spot on thanks :)

Drove 130 miles upto foxy's on Thursday, a days abuse and about 120 track miles yesterday then 150 miles home in the pissing rain all without problem :D

BMW M5 & E36

Makes it seem worthwhile when things go well! Oulton again on Tuesday then it's coming off the road for a winter seeing to :)

ValverInBits
Cool vids, really enjoyed the last one, some great saves.
What tyres did you have on it and what tyres did f0xy run? It looked like you were doing a little better for grip at times.

BMW M5 & E36
I was running T1R all round. Foxy 2x T1R, 1x PE2 and 1x Eagle F1.

Took my slicks with me too but it didnt dry out enough to try them :(

BMW M5 & E36
Last Tuesday saw another successful day at Oulton Park on the Renaultsport Trackday. Aswell as driving my own car, I managed to get a few laps out in the yet to be released Megane 250 Cup which was a treat. Lovely car and alot nicer in the flesh than photo's would have you believe.

I racked up 180 track miles on the day which is going some and I didnt encounter a single problem all day. With it being damp for the majority of the day, I was able to have slightly longer sessions out on track than usual seeing as the tyres wouldn't be overheating. I must have been out for near 45 minutes in the afternoon and it was superb. Oil temperature didn't once creep above 100 degrees either.

So in less than a week I've done 2 x Oulton Park Trackdays and somewhere in the region of 1000 miles :)

A few pictures and videos from the day:

4115029356_ca43f65a94_o.jpg

4115040148_f2c53cb038_o.jpg

4112765945_1671043406_b.jpg

4113584528_ce443f2348_o.jpg

4112816473_d736830597_o.jpg

4113451668_daf8014d09_o.jpg

reno2.jpg

reno3.jpg

reno9.jpg

reno6.jpg

And my favourite (even if a little static looking...), check the tripod action :cool:

reno5.jpg

Videos:

A dry-ish session following f0xy. I had Jams in the car with me and f0xy had Naith as a passenger

[YOUTUBE]6D4_l1hhONw[/YOUTUBE]

A wet session with a friend of Andyrg in the passenger seat. Have a look at 6.38 onwards for my biggest 'nearly' moment of the day

[YOUTUBE]X8maFdiobe0[/YOUTUBE]

And then a shorter one showing Mr SteBurns some Mk1 pace in his 197 ;)

[YOUTUBE]8jrvSMt3Me8[/YOUTUBE]

So that was that. I have plenty more video footage to sort through if I get the chance, but they're the only 3 for now.

Now that's me done for the year. My plan all along has been to take it off the road at the end of the month, get a refund on Tax and have a winter rebuild in preparation for next year. This has been sped up slightly as Jamie Rigby (with the Fiesta) has collected my seats this morning, leaving me with no option but to park it up.

Empty interior:

21112009872.jpg

Sparco Circuit VTR's, brilliant seats but I fancy a change. Keep an eye out for them in Jamies project thread:

21112009873.jpg

Bring on 2010 :race:

Mk1 F4R
Im having your old sidemounts lol as mine are already cut out to go in the fiesta so we done a straigt swap :cool: look out for them in my thread lol

Wot did you use on interior paint is it sprayed on or brush, was thinking of doing mine white not black

BMW M5 & E36
Rattle canned white, I wouldnt recommend it. After a year of having wheels and bits in the back it looks crap.

I think I'll re-do it over the winter with a compressor and either go body colour or a graphite sort of colour.

If anyone finds any nice looking seats for sale then let me know :D

JDM Dc2
love them pics!

just wish you had the video camera on on that last session of the day on tuesady lol

and sorry ive sped up your winter re-build but suppose its a good thing! loving the seats could do with a smaller steering wheel now lol

BMW M5 & E36
Yeah I wish I got the drifting on video too, Daz would be proud!

It's only come off the road a week or so early, not the end of the world. I just need to get to the P.O for a tax refund form.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Theres some Cobra Evo Pro's in 480bhp.com's for sale thread.

Last edited: