ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

TVR Cerbera
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

Just a note about manual steering.

I was talking to a guy about removing the power steering on my Hybrid and they strongly advised against it, saying that if you start tank slapping at 80mph, a car with PAS will be a lot easier to control than a car without. The car without needing arms like incredible hulk to control it should it all go a bit wrong. Also with no PAS, the 'snatch' will be very violent, possibly breaking your thumbs! lol!

I'm no mechanic nor a driving guru, but just my 2p's worth.

Take everything you read or hear wth a pinch of salt.

Tank slapping at 80mph isn't gonna be heathy with pas or not.

if you have driven a non pas car and compared it with a pas (same car model) you will notice after about 20 mph there is hardly any difference in the amount of effort required to turn the wheels.

erm, refering to the snatch comment, how can a non pas be more violent? it's not assisted?

all non pas does is, it allows you to feel the steering more, as when loosing grip, understeer for example, is easier to detect with a non pas car.

M

mini-valver

Was waiting for this update! Proper job dude, doing it right from the start FTW!

BMW M5 & E36

Was waiting for this update! Proper job dude, doing it right from the start FTW!

Cheers mate, that's the plan! Ordered a few more bits last night. Another 250 biff :eek:

Chopped a door skin out this afternoon, will update later if my internet connection holds out!

M

mini-valver

Picking up some goodies tommorrow for mine lad, shame it doesnt move TBH, lol. I WILL come give you a hand soon, want to see it!

BMW M5 & E36

looks Awesome!!, are you doing a column drop to go with the seat being so low?

Cheers, nice to hear that from someone who seems to know his stuff too.

Column drop would be nice, but not looked into it yet. How would you go about it? It's not too high at the moment as I'm a lanky c*nt, but a little lower would be nice at the same time.

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

Finished work a little earlier than I was expecting today so had another couple of hours on the car, 7 day week ftl.

Dragged the subframe outside and pressure washed it off first of all. Was covered in rubbish mainly where one of the CV boots had split previously. Revealed a fair few rust patches, so I'll treat that and give it all a once over in good time.

DSCN4023.jpg

DSCN4025.jpg

Next I started chopping my N/S door to bits! You may have noticed the drivers side has barely been touched yet and still has the glass and winding mechanism etc still in, so I'll try and get everything right on the passenger side so that I can make a decent job of the one I'll see the most.

No need for any door internals at all. Fixed windows eventually and no chance of any speakers ever going back in.

DSCN4027.jpg

DSCN4028.jpg

DSCN4012.jpg

DSCN4014.jpg

DSCN4015.jpg

Not a bad curve in the end with an angle grinder

DSCN4016.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

All done bar the small part inner/bottom

DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4021.jpg

DSCN4022.jpg

Chris

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Going to gut my doors too. Hows the rigidity?

BMW M5 & E36

Fine, the strength is all still there, just got to chop the right bit.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Just a note about manual steering.

I was talking to a guy about removing the power steering on my Hybrid and they strongly advised against it, saying that if you start tank slapping at 80mph, a car with PAS will be a lot easier to control than a car without. The car without needing arms like incredible hulk to control it should it all go a bit wrong. Also with no PAS, the 'snatch' will be very violent, possibly breaking your thumbs! lol!

I'm no mechanic nor a driving guru, but just my 2p's worth.

at 80mph i cant see the steering being that heavy

TVR Cerbera

Take everything you read or hear wth a pinch of salt.

Tank slapping at 80mph isn't gonna be heathy with pas or not.

if you have driven a non pas car and compared it with a pas (same car model) you will notice after about 20 mph there is hardly any difference in the amount of effort required to turn the wheels.

erm, refering to the snatch comment, how can a non pas be more violent? it's not assisted?

all non pas does is, it allows you to feel the steering more, as when loosing grip, understeer for example, is easier to detect with a non pas car.

at 80mph i cant see the steering being that heavy

Is there an echo, i'm sure that's what i said? lol:rasp:

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i'd get the subframe powder coated if i where you,i jet washed mine and painted it but the paint dont last 5 mins due to all the grease an oil thats gone on it over the years

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i read it on page 4 and posted that then i clicked on page 5 and seen you'd already put it doh

ITB'd MK1

Column drop would be nice, but not looked into it yet. How would you go about it?

not sure yet in honesty. It's something I've done on 205s with some washers and longer bolts but they're angled lower than clios to start with. I'd probably make up some new mounts for the column from scratch rather than using spacers. Box section welded to the cross car beam, and some captive thread added (riv-nuts maybe) I'm quite tall, and I find the steering to be too high for my likeing with standard seats lol.

ValverInBits

whiteley said:
also sealed off the 4 ports by the column joint but didnt picture it.

Been busy whiteley! good work. I like your thinking with the rack. I'm still not sure what I want to do with mine.
How did you seal the 4 ports then?

172 Race Car

not sure yet in honesty. It's something I've done on 205s with some washers and longer bolts but they're angled lower than clios to start with. I'd probably make up some new mounts for the column from scratch rather than using spacers. Box section welded to the cross car beam, and some captive thread added (riv-nuts maybe) I'm quite tall, and I find the steering to be too high for my likeing with standard seats lol.
Ive done this coloum mod on a 172, have a browse through my thread, not sure what page its on. I think its a similar setup on a mk1

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=296190

'92 172, Lotus Elise

yup ^^ - can just space the column down with washers in a mk1 too...

BMW M5 & E36
  BMW M5 & E36

Had an email from Elliot about that after I placed the order:

Hello Mr Whiteley,
Thank you for your online order.

We have a problem with sourcing a supplier for the Low temp thermostats for the Clio's at the moment. Our supplier is having major difficulties supplying this to us. We are currently looking for a new source for these are a real popular item. We have not put this on your order, but we have processed all the other parts on the order and will dispatch them today.

Thank you again for your order,

Best Regards

Elliott

So not got one, yet.

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp

looks a wicked project, seem to be doing it thougherly (sp) too.
Whats the plans for engine?
What suspension and break setup you planning?

BMW M5 & E36

Engine will remain pretty close to standard, a few tweeks maybe. Suspension will be coilovers of some description for Williams fitment, which I havent yet decided. Plenty of time yet.

Brakes I think I'm going to stick with the standard calipers, but uprate the lines for stainless ones, decent fluid and a track orientated disc/pad combo.

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

Not a great deal to report I'm afraid, progress has slowed somewhat!

I stripped the engine bay of most bits and set about cleaning/degreasing that ready for some paint. Settled on satin black rather than a daft colour which briefly crossed my mind. Couple of coats of paint then started putting a few bits back in.

Finish is alright for rattle cans and not a great deal of prep work. I've done it to get everything back the one colour and protect the bare areas more than anything, so I'm happy enough.

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

I drove 250 miles yesterday to pick a Williams steering rack up from f0xy. It will get the same treatment as my valver rack with the manual setup. Advantages are 1/4 turn less throw lock to lock (2 3/4 ish as apposed to 3 on the valver) and the arms are longer to allow for the widetrack. I could of got away with using the 1.8 rack, but I'd prefer a few more threads of the track rod ends wound in for peace of mind. Need to get 2 new rod ends for it and manual-ise it, but then it'll be good to go:

IMG_1006.jpg

Collected a pair of R19 16v wishbones from a local motorfactors complete with balljoints. Cost a bargain £14 each plus the VAT, rather than £28+ that GSF wanted.

IMG_1008.jpg

19 16v Anti roll bar also arrived from a guy over on WilliamsClio site. (Amongst the rest of the subframe bits)

IMG_1009.jpg

Car as it stands. Yep, still in lots of bits.

IMG_1010.jpg

I've decided on a slightly different approach to the widetrack setup too. Rather than keeping the valver brakes/hubs and sourcing a pair of Williams driveshafts (rare), I'm going to swap it all out for 172 items which will give me 280mm brakes as opposed to the standard 258mm too.

19 16v Goodridge brake lines and a short shifter kit on the way too.

So to summarise, a fair bit more spending and not a great deal more progress!

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

Aye, think I'm a bit of a ledge for thinking it all up really ;)

Cheers for the rack again mate.

M

mini-valver

Engine bay looks good mate, ballache doing it 449 and lacquering in comparison!

The 172 widetrack is a miles better set-up with the brakes too. Where have you had the short shift from BTW?

BMW M5 & E36

A guy on Clio16Valver had one from the group buy over there and never used it. £45 :)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

you can get a low temp thermostat from anywhere,you need a qth100 i got my mine from roadrunner near me

ValverInBits

been busy there whiters! hope you had a good xmas and new years.
The 172 track idea sounds a good-un. Are you sure the willy rack is required for the wide track? I've been thinking that the track rod ends could just be adjusted, but not sure. :S
have fun pressing the wishbone bushes in mate :)