ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 wheel FITTED to 182

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
Right....Tonight after work i fitted my bargain of the century brand new 197 wheel and airbag.

Tbh its not exactly clear on here what it takes to make them fit. So.....

The 197 wheel bolts straight on, same splines etc... the wheel does rub and doesnt self centre atm but its gradually becoming better and it appears to be rubbing away the cowling which i think is causing this.

Cruise control... Requires the 182 block connector cutting off and fitting to the 197 CC loom. (green wires to yellow, darker wires to each other) Hey presto cruise control working.

Airbag....Requires some "modification" to the n/s "orange" connector to get it to fit into the bag, the o/s "green" goes straight in. Airbag values checked on CLIP all seem ok.
The only difference is the 182 airbag seems to earth through the column via the wheel where the 197 wheel has a separate plug this needs adding in.

Unlock airbag computer via CLIP, no airbag lights on voila! although i will be configuring it without a drivers airbag as a precaution.

I would advise only fitting this if your are competent and have done something similar before. And of course to make sure your airbag computer is locked when doing anything airbag related.

Follow this "guide" at your own risk!

Pics: with iFail quality.

82b6f3f8.jpg

a8093733.jpg

5765b5c9.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The 197 airbag should of come with a little wire, which has connectors on each end.

This slips onto the 197 airbag earth, then squash the other end under the bolt which holds the wheel on.

Its pikey but (i think) it should work. It kept my light off anyway :)

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
Yeah the black wire is originally connected via the rotary switch but yeah I'm
Sure any earth will do.

Mike have you got a 197 wheel on yours?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the black wire is originally connected via the rotary switch but yeah I'm
Sure any earth will do.

Mike have you got a 197 wheel on yours?

I did have a 200 wheel on, couldn't bare the non-auto return so took it off pretty quickly

Spoke to fred and he explained how the auto return would come if i used it but ended up selling it, person who has it now says its bedded in and auto returning fine :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
This was on of the best things I had done, feels so much better than the standard wheel, and sits about an inch nearer to you. Mine self centres fine, but did rub on the cowling a little but is spot on now

M3,ST250,Caddy,CBR10
Unlock airbag computer via CLIP, no airbag lights on voila! although i will be configuring it without a drivers airbag

What do you mean by clip? New here and just bought a 197 wheel after reading this.

Lionel Richie
its the gay safe way to change it, i never bother, unbolt one, bolt on the other without cocking about with clip (Renault diagnostic computer)

M3,ST250,Caddy,CBR10
I did have a 200 wheel on, couldn't bare the non-auto return so took it off pretty quickly

Spoke to fred and he explained how the auto return would come if i used it but ended up selling it, person who has it now says its bedded in and auto returning fine :)
Hi mate why doesn't it auto return, I have just installed with airbag working and the lot really please apart from the stiffness and no return, could I put a washer on the column to make the return work or not?!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Hi mate why doesn't it auto return, I have just installed with airbag working and the lot really please apart from the stiffness and no return, could I put a washer on the column to make the return work or not?!

Have ago a reading the post you quoted!

Anyone got any tips or suggestions around getting the horn to work? Fitted the wheel, sorted the connectors but no joy. Struggling to get the airbag back off as well to check. :mad:

BMW M3 E46
Just wanna let you know that the spacer I make for Clio 2 steering wheel WITH airbag can be used also to fit a Clio 3 steering wheel on a Clio 2.
You can buy my spacer for Clio 2, fit it on the car and fit on it Clio 2 or Clio 3 steering wheel. Spline is the same. The male splined hub is the same on my kits for Clio 2 and 3 and can reach one wheel or anotherone without mods. Everything is direct fit, APART electrical wirings for which you better read in depth the present thread. I only supply mechanical adaptor.

Link to the discussion about the wheel spacer.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/special-spacer-for-stock-steering-wheel.697495/page-3#post-11250102

I won't bet on it, but somebody told me that Megane 3 RS steering wheel is direct fit on Clio 3 RS. If so, at this point you can fit Megane wheel on Clio 2 too.