ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Test Drive

Clio Trophy
Managed to take a test drive of the 197 today and have to say its a completly different car. It feels more refined but its back end wobbles under heavy braking a lot more than the trophy and it understears a lot more than the trophy. I also noticed that it feels a lot slower low down the rev range in 2nd gear and takes forever to pickup speed! I really did like the whole package and it seems a great car in the flesh and the look is growing on me a bit. I pretty much admitted to the dealer i was not interested though but he said they were selling well. This is definitely a car for the ladies:rasp: until they up the power and refine the handling.

If I had to sum up my driving eperience of the 197 in two words, it would be "brilliantly slow"

Brillaint car, but it just feels...SLOW compared to a 182, because it just...IS

Disappointed isnt really a big enough word.

Fletch123 said:
Is it really that slow, or does it feel slow like the meg 225 because of the smoothness?

I have not yet driven a 225 so I cannot comment on that. But I know a few people whom I trust that say the 225 does not feel slow at all. I dont think the 197 has deceptive speed, it really is just slow compared to a 182. The one I drove had zero push, and it seemed to take an age to reach 100.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Well i should really take one out for a test drive then.

What i ment to say was the 225 meg feels slower then a 182-172 as a passenger, but you are still aware that it's pulling hard in low gears.

Fletch123 said:
Well i should really take one out for a test drive then.

What i ment to say was the 225 meg feels slower then a 182-172 as a passenger, but you are still aware that it's pulling hard in low gears.

Well I cannot argue with that since I have not been in one. What I do know is that the 197 has no neck snapping 1st grear launching at all. You wait for something to happen in 2nd but it never comes. There is no 5k punch, nothing happens all the way to 7.5k and then you just hang on to the gears waiting for 100 to arrive while you twiddle your thumbs on the superb steering wheel.

It's a brilliant car and way better than a 182 in almost all respects except that it feels about 30bhp down on the dual carriageway. Infact if I didnt know better I'd say it had the same power but was heavier with lower ratios. 197ps my arse.

Last edited:
Fletch123 said:
Looks like i'll be getting a Trophy then, i like my cars to feel fast.

I would drive both. the 197 I drove might have been a bad example. Defo 100 in 20s minmum. I can imagine 182s owning them in Cooper S style.

Clio Trophy
yeah i dunno if its deceptcely slow or not. it found it pulled well from 80 - 120mph equaling the 182 performance but it has no low down grunt. you dont feel your self gettting pushed into the seat like you do in the 182, has anybody done a 0-60 timed test?

197 being slow??? This is not what Simon Jean-Joseph (a french rally driver) said when he tested the car...

I think Roy you either had a problem with the car or with your feet...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Theres a nice article in autocar, worth a read its tested against the Focus ST and the Vauxhall Astra VXR.

It wins the group test based on the fact its the only car out of the three thats small enough to handle llike a hot hatch. The others have crept into BMW 3 series size cars apparently.

Figures from autocar

BHP per tonne - 156 BHP - so it is slower period

0-60 6.9 - equal

top speed 132 - slower again

0-100 - 18.7

But it sounds like the handlings fantastic! Just wait for the bigger engine!! Unless they lose the 8 airbags and make a cup version.... :)

I have the silver 197 with 950 miles on the clock.I can assure you that it is not the slow car being talked about here.I had the 172 and this car is quicker granted you have to work the gear changes but thats all part of the fun driving a car like this.

sw1

Clio 172
I agree, I reckon it's due to the car being so smooth on acceleration it feels slower, in my 172 I can tell when I'm nearing 80 quite easily. With the 197 the salesguy took it too 110 without it seeming troubled.

I also got to 90 very fast or so I thought so.

I will be buying one anyone as it's a great all round car now I think im comparison to the 172 which is a fast tin can IMO , get out of a golf MK V and into a clio 172 and you will know what I mean.
I have never been into the cup versions as I prefer the creature comforts myself.

MINI JCW
Sine said:
197 being slow??? This is not what Simon Jean-Joseph (a french rally driver) said when he tested the car...

I think Roy you either had a problem with the car or with your feet...

The 197 is slower than the 182, its slower to 60, its slower to 100 and its got a lower top speed, the road test figures dont lie.

Renault reckon the 197 is quicker than the 182 to 62, if thats the case ill eat my hat

MINI JCW
lynch22 said:
I have one big hat hope you are hungry.

Wont be eating it mate, you find me any evidence to suggest that the 197 is quicker.

The 197 is a all round better car but its not as quick in a straight line

I found it very dull, was expecting a drivers car and got a normal Clio with a bit of extra poke, also engine note sounds muffled.