ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Gearbox problems

197 cup
Any 1 had or having any problems with the gearbox IE having to kinda force it into 2nd worse when cold

Guilietta 2.0 JTDM-2
The earlier 197s did seem to suffer with a few gearbox problems. I've heard of synchros being replaced and even whole gearboxes.

I paid £80 for a gearbox oil change at the stealers and it seems to have sorted similar problems for me.

197 cup
cheers mate think its coverd under the warranty bloody murder but keep feeling paranoid that in gonna destroy the gearbox lol

Mondeo TDCI 130
To be honest my 200 box isn't brill when cold, there is nothing up with it, but it's a bit rough and clunky!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nothing to do with earlier/later boxes, some did some didnt luck of the draw really! I've seen both boxes being replaced under warranty

197 cup
SBV116 thats exactly wat its like dead clunky maybe its just me being a bit paranoid see i hade a 1.6 vvt megane before bought it brand new and had nothing but hastle with it i feel myself being paranoid everytime the clio makes a noise

clio 172 ph1
hi ya,

I have an 08 plate 197 which bought new and had nothing but problems with the gearbox. its ended up having a re-con box fitted 6 months ago under warrantee but its no better so its back at renault again.

mine has problems engaging gear when its cold and crunching into 2nd and 3rd and noisy whine from the box when driving along.

I'd take it back to renault if i were you. you might have to be persistent though, they said there was nothing wrong with mine originally.

albi 197
Mine is on 50k now and getting progressively worse lol. My problem is going from neutral to first (or any gear for that matter). It seems pretty reluctant and I really have to batter it into gear sometimes. On the move its pretty sweet though, occasionally a bit clunky.

clio 172 ph1
Yep that's like mine, generally first thing in the morning it won't go into any gear without forcing it. Mine had only done 13k and the I've only done 2.5k on the replacement box and its still got the same problems. Still love the car though! Suppose it is a renault so should have expected these problems!