ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 economy!

LY 200
For all the ones i have bitched to and said how s**t it is (and possibly turned off looking into one) i have to back track a little after my first real outing in it today!

I treated it to its first proper full tank of Ultima (45 quid to the robbing b******s) and did a 51.4 mile round trip using mostly A/B roads and mixed driving (the odd heavy blast through 2nd/3rd and some good 6th gear driving at 'around' 70 ;)) and rocked back at mine with a 32.4 mpg average which is alot better than the 25's and alot lower i was seeing 'around town'.

So looks like it isnt all bad after all on the juice side of things!!! :D

Jay

Nothing at the mo :(
didnt realise how bad they are... i get 32mpg in my 182 doing my daily commute of 30min drive.. and thats all in traficc jams!! ><

Swift Sport
For all the ones i have b**ched to and said how s**t it is (and possibly turned off looking into one) i have to back track a little after my first real outing in it today!

I treated it to its first proper full tank of Ultima (45 quid to the robbing b*****ds) and did a 51.4 mile round trip using mostly A/B roads and mixed driving (the odd heavy blast through 2nd/3rd and some good 6th gear driving at 'around' 70 ;)) and rocked back at mine with a 32.4 mpg average which is alot better than the 25's and alot lower i was seeing 'around town'.

So looks like it isnt all bad after all on the juice side of things!!! :D

Jay

Mines stays on 22/23, how the f**k do you manage 32??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I never EVER got any of mine above 25mpg.

Mind you they were all brand new (company cars) so the situation is probably a little different once its run in.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
mine was about 28, thats mainly on good A/B road blasts. Remember ste, he's only driven it 3 times iirc ;)

LY 200
Mines stays on 22/23, how the f**k do you manage 32??

Easy! Have my moments inbetween but for the most part dont drive like a f**king clownshoe everywhere! ;)

I used to see 38/42 in my 182 too.

mine was about 28, thats mainly on good A/B road blasts. Remember ste, he's only driven it 3 times iirc ;)

I corrected you on 4 in the week so its 5 now silly! ;)

What differencae that makes to the economy i have no idea though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
i get 32 on my commute.. and 44-45 on a motorway

Thats good, I've seen as low as 16 when driving in a very busy rush hour. Usually average 30 around town and 35 on the mway.

Although if I stick to 70 on the motorway i have seen over 40, but if i go for a blast on some B roads with lots of high revs I see 37 which just seems strange.

Iceberg 172
I don't understand how the 1*2 economy is so good and the 197's is so bad... i didn't think there was that much difference is the engines and if anything the gearing on the 6 speed box should make it better surely???

I just went out with a mate in his 172 and down a dual carriage way we were averaging 48mpg!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the extra pounds firstly. plus it revs quite a bit higher compared to the 172/182. it is a much revvier car than previous RS models.

LY 200
Lets face it, you dont buy a 197 for fuel ecconomy!

No you dont but there is a differrance between watching the MPG and being a nut bag when appropriate! Unfortunatly on my journey today there wasnt many areas i could give it mental revs!

I wasnt watching it today (as i said i had a few moments) yet i got a good return still.

Iceberg 172
Lets face it, you dont buy a 197 for fuel ecconomy!

Well I must admit, one of the reasons I was attracted to the 172 was it's great fuel economy for such an awesomely fun car. I got sick of getting 20mpg in previous cars and it was a refreshing change to have a car which was actually economical.

So the fact that the 197 is quite poor on fuel in comparison to the 172 does put me off one tbh... cos the 197 isn't exactly a rocket ship in comparison to a 172 so doesn't really justify the extra in petrol.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No, but it does the everyday stuff better imo. less fuss, more refinement

LY 200
Th 197 is much more grown up imo! I think my old buy (whos in his 50's) would get away with driving it daily!

It is a total different car to 182 but as said i wouldnt get too put of by the MPG if you can stomach low 30's as this will be what it does if your not out there to try and resemble Button from word go to the end of your drive.

LY 200
^LOL - How can you possibly get that!? When i first got it and was just using it to go out for the sake of it and find some roads where i could hit 7k all the time (before novelty wore off) i was sitting on 22 at worst!

You must be a mentalist Ste. ;)

Jay, I got 13mpg out of my bean around The Rock, so 12 from a 197 sounds perfectly possible. Remember, on track, the engine is always in the higher rev range and the the throttle is almost always either pinned, or closed. The only time you're on part throttle is heading for the apex and feeding it in on exit. It's nothing like road driving. Fuel economy takes a massive hit.

LY 200
^Haha - I didnt really think about it constantly being on the power mate but i wasnt doubting him all the same! :eek:

If he gets what hes says he gets on the road then on track thats highly believeable! Ste is the the true meaning of using your car to its means by the sounds of things! ;)

RB 197 fatty
^LOL - How can you possibly get that!? When i first got it and was just using it to go out for the sake of it and find some roads where i could hit 7k all the time (before novelty wore off) i was sitting on 22 at worst!

You must be a mentalist Ste. ;)

he speaks tha truth, I spent a good day at snetterton last year biting the ass of a mate in his boxter s and this happened when i finished....

13634_164362536402_703056402_3365493_6231308_n.jpg

whooooo00000OOOOOps! :dead:

but tbh, even if i was getting 0.9mpg i wouldnt change it....shes my baby!:eek:

That's more like it. I was thinking 12mpg in a 197 is a bit of a gay effort.

Your car looks awesome on the road BTW. I'm not keen on the spoiler but that's a personal thing. RB 197s look Alpha in the metal.

Swift Sport
That's more like it. I was thinking 12mpg in a 197 is a bit of a gay effort.

Your car looks awesome on the road BTW. I'm not keen on the spoiler but that's a personal thing. RB 197s look Alpha in the metal.

Shush Munson! IIRC it was just a short stint, and my car was freshly waxed ;)

Pfft. My 13mpg included the drive to the track, and that's in a 182. Poor effort in the 197 ;) x

"you know I heard you got balls big enough to cum in a dump truck but, you don't look like much to me"

RB 197 fatty
Yeah i reckon with more time i would have got it lower. I think i had 1/4 a tank left and it said i had about 30 miles till empty! lol.

cheers Roy, yeah can never get the colours true awsomeness in photos. Yeah the spoiler is defo the thing i get the mixed opinions on, tbh id rather it was a little less chavvy, but i really really really think it would look worse without it!looks odd.

All i need is tha white wheels now to pull off the tracked look!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Still not brilliant for a 2.0 litre car...

But fair play i thought getting 30mpg out of a 197 is harder than getting Tevez to score more than Rooney.

LY 200
^LOL! Very good!

Wasnt hard today mate! Not at all! Saying that It did do nearly a 1/4 a tank on the 51 miles so im not sure its that accurate! ;)

LY 200
White wheels look sheeet dont they Royston!? All abooot the black! ;)

I havnt cleaned my speedlines since iv had the car and they still look as they did when i bought it. lol

LY 200
On that subject, where ARE the whoring pics of your Nimbus 197 FFS!!12. I'm starting to think you don't even have one :dapprove:

LOL - I am a nightmare for getting my cars out of the garage and actually cleaning them for the sake of it mate and i feel wrong taking pictures of a car that hasnt been given a quick going over! I parked it out on the road earlier an thought of getting a quick picture just for you though! :eek:

You'll have to make do with these (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=483677) until it actually needs a good clean i reckon! ;)

White wheels look pap always have and always will

Incorrect. Some cars can pull of white rims. Christopher's 182 being a fine example. I just couldn't be arsed cleaning them, literally inside and out. Plus, use them on track with men's racing pads, and they'll be fucked forever.