ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 clarkson review

Octavia vRS tfsi
Read that this morning.

I think the people that still believe Clarkson knows what he's talking about and actually think he's a bona fide good motoring journalist need their head examined.

Honda Integra Type R
Read that this morning.

I think the people that still believe Clarkson knows what he's talking about and actually think he's a bona fide good motoring journalist need their head examined.

Why because hes not a fan of the 197 Cup?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
He is only saying what everyone said on here straight away, it needs to be quicker.

MCS R56
Who is better? At least he is unique and doesn't hold back. He's never going to agree with all car enthusiasts.

I agree with some of his points about the 197 Cup.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Yep, he knows his onions,.. is a fan of the hot hatch genre,.. but thinks the spoiler is crap (cos it is), the car's underpowered and doesn't buy the whole 'pleb spec/cup' sh1te, "I don't need aircon I've got windows for cold air".

Both the current CTR and RS Clio have missed the mark.

Clarkson is a legend

RS 172
I have to agree with ianeire, and I'm unbiased here as I havent been in a Cup, let alone seen one in the flesh.

Clarkson is pure entertainment, and in recent years this seems to have been over emphasised and exploited with less and less attention spent on the cars. Dont get me wrong, I think the guy is great, and Top Gear is amazing, but I'd never take Clarkson's opinions as a basis of whether a car is good or bad.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
some true points but ffs that whole article is about how much he hates traffic jams, gorden brown, traffic jams, yorkshire. 3 paragraphs (which could be compressed into 1) about the 197 and the rest about bulshit.

crap article.

Lee

BMW M2C
I love the way people on here can make a judgement about a car they've never even driven!!

Did he even mention the car in that write up? Some good ranting though, and always an entertaining read.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
I like Clarkson, but half of that was a rant at something completely unrelated to the car. I mean even the link between the traffic wombles and the car was a bit shakey. Not taking anything away from the guy, he's good at what he does, but this one looks to me like he was running short of ideas on the day he wrote it. He doesn't exactly give it a good test either.

Tangoed Works
Saw a white 197 cup we saw whilst waiting for everyone at Krispie Kreams enfield. It was awesome. The guy had just picked it up yesterday on an 08 plate. Really sharp looks and the black wheels are awesome.

For looks the 197 is spot on, no question.

1.5DCi 80 Dynamique
I'd never take Clarkson's opinions as a basis of whether a car is good or bad.
On the other hand, Clarkson has driven more cars in the last 3 months than you or I will do in our lives. It would be wrong to think he hasn't developed the ability to give a considered opinion on a car within a few hours or minutes of driving it and almost anyone would be on a hiding to nothing if they were daft to try to argue the finer points of any car with someone like him. The Times column is just a Clarkson column. This week he just happened to be in a 197 Cup , which has been reviewed as being 'a bit soft' by pretty much everyone who's reviewed it since pre-release. But the motoring press always want a bit more. I'd have one if the MPG was 50% better.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
I think clarkson make many good points, having never driven a 197 cup i can't comment to much, but from hearing the reviews from other people it has lost it's hardcore edge (along with other recient hot hatches, type R etc.) compaired to the older generation of hot hatches.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Clarkson is pure entertainment, and in recent years this seems to have been over emphasised and exploited with less and less attention spent on the cars. Dont get me wrong, I think the guy is great, and Top Gear is amazing, but I'd never take Clarkson's opinions as a basis of whether a car is good or bad.
100% agree with that.

The only thing is he readily admits he is wrong all the time and changes his mind a LOT. He'll probably say he loves it when/if it's on the show.

T

thecremeegg

Its amazing how defensive everyone gets over it just because its a renault :S

Why cant clarkson disagree with some die hard fans on a renault forum? Its too slow, fact, thats what he says....live with it?

RS 172
^ Hell I'm not saying that. I've got less experience than almost everyone on here, and would never be loyal enough to a brand (especially considering a car I'll more than likely never drive) to defend it blind to the facts.

I'm just saying Clarkson isnt the best source for car reviews, although I know the OP never said he was.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I love the way people on here can make a judgement about a car they've never even driven!!

Did he even mention the car in that write up? Some good ranting though, and always an entertaining read.
but Lee, we don't have to have driven the cup to know it feels slow for a car of its stats.

ALso, we don't have to have driven it to know that a car in this day and age should come with aircon, i wonder how many they will sell without the aircon option!

I don't think anyone doubts its cornering ability, and clarkson points that out too, but things like its performance and spec are all too familiar to people that have driven a 197.

VaVa
He is only saying what everyone said on here straight away, it needs to be quicker.

I disagree. They need to feel quicker. My 172 felt miles faster then the 197 I drove. Ultimately I doubt there was more than a ball hair in it.

And I agree on the electric steering. :( But they're still a cracking motor!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

We don't need Mr. Clarkson to tell us that car needs more power.

Shame on Renault for releasing a car that weighs 1240 kgs and only has 15 more h.p. than a 182.

Mind you according to Evo's dyno test in issue 115 (most recent I believe). The 197 only has 185 h.p. :eek: Maybe the tested example needs to run in properly.....or maybe Renault have duped us.....:S

Octavia vRS tfsi
Read that this morning.

Why because hes not a fan of the 197 Cup?

I have never seen a Cup. In fact, I've never even seen a 197 in Ireland. I saw one in Spain, once. I wasn't in it. And to be honest, I don't particularly even like the shape.

Who is better? At least he is unique and doesn't hold back. He's never going to agree with all car enthusiasts.

I agree with some of his points about the 197 Cup.

Who is better. Well, Chris Harris. Clarkson talks the most utter shite I've ever either had either the displeasure of reading or listening to on the tele. People these days even believe that Top Gear is a good car review show. Come on. Clarkson says a car is crap... it must be so.

That my mother can sit and watch the Clarkson hour says a lot. Yes, it is entertaining, at times. But it is pure drivvel. No wonder Hammond is suffering depression.

Yep, he knows his onions,.. is a fan of the hot hatch genre,.. but thinks the spoiler is crap (cos it is), the car's underpowered and doesn't buy the whole 'pleb spec/cup' sh1te, "I don't need aircon I've got windows for cold air".

Both the current CTR and RS Clio have missed the mark.

Clarkson is a legend

Yes, he knows his opinions. His opinions. It's laughable how though, once his opinions become print they become every other Sun readers opinions. Na, that car is shite, sure Clarkson said so. Must be fact. Do you believe Coronation Street is real too?

Its amazing how defensive everyone gets over it just because its a renault :S

Why cant clarkson disagree with some die hard fans on a renault forum? Its too slow, fact, thats what he says....live with it?

I have no real opinion on the 197, in fact, to be honest I don't really like the 197. So, in theory, Clarkson reaffirms my opinion of the car.
It is absolutely phenomenal though how a journo from Performance Car can highly rate it only for Clarkson to spend 3/4 of an article talking about hippos (or something, I skipped over the uselessness of it), and spend the last 1/4 forming an opinion of a car he's probably done a lap of the car park in.

Clio 172 mk2
Regardless of What Clarkson says new 197 cup is a con

20k lighter and with a shoite spoiler....no thanks

cock mobile.
Would have been more interesting to get his view of the R27 imo.

That is still the Clio to buy in my eyes.

RB Clio 182
What i don't understand is why renault have decided to make the 197 but not really make it much better than the 182?
If your looking for a hot hatch then buy the 182 its just as fast, and with the cup suspension it goes round corners really well, plus you can pick up a decent one for £7000ish.
Why would you wanna spend spend over double on a car that is not double the fun to drive as a 182?
Still the 197 cup does look good in the white with the black alloys.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i think JC. has been fair in the past on his review of the 182 on TV. told the good and bad points with honesty.
Its not a bad review as he does not mention anything really bad apart from he power.

cock mobile.
What i don't understand is why renault have decided to make the 197 but not really make it much better than the 182?
If your looking for a hot hatch then buy the 182 its just as fast, and with the cup suspension it goes round corners really well, plus you can pick up a decent one for £7000ish.
Why would you wanna spend spend over double on a car that is not double the fun to drive as a 182?
Still the 197 cup does look good in the white with the black alloys.

The 197 is a better car, no doubt about that imo.

As for the money, well you can't compare a car that's ~4 years old against a new one, quite simply the new one is worth considerably more! It's up the buyer if it's worth the cash or not, obviously for you it isn't :)

Lee

BMW M2C

but Lee, we don't have to have driven the cup to know it feels slow for a car of its stats.

ALso, we don't have to have driven it to know that a car in this day and age should come with aircon, i wonder how many they will sell without the aircon option!

I don't think anyone doubts its cornering ability, and clarkson points that out too, but things like its performance and spec are all too familiar to people that have driven a 197.

haha, that just highlights exactly what I said, because you're wrong. It doesn't feel slow and it still has a decent kick at 5k rpm. In fact the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is fantastic, the 182 always used to feel like the gears were a little to largely spaced but the Cup just takes off. The Megane on the other hand does feel slow with it's lazy power delivery and muted exhaust note.

And again, I'm not defending the Cup or my decision to swap the Trophy for it, I'm just pointing out what a load of b****cks people post on here.

I might go onto the Ferrari owners forum and start telling them what's wrong with an F430, a car I've never driven, but I'm sure from the stats I've read it's quite noisy and not nice to drive in traffic. ;)

RB Clio 182
yeah i spose i can't compare the two cos of age difference, but i felt the 197 just came up short of my expectations.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
197 owners are so defensive! It's a car that has (well acknowledged) small faults, which for some are more important than for others! If you disagree them you either haven't driven one, or seem to be (in their opinion) wrong. It's a good car, but I'd rather have a new cooper s, feels faster, and feels more 'fun' to drive. Stick a more powerful motor in, and I'd probably prefer the 197.

Mk3 SX
Never driven one myself so i can't comment myself. Looks wise it's nice but to be honest i've seen some clio dci SX's looking better than 197's.

dk

911 GTS Cab

haha, that just highlights exactly what I said, because you're wrong. It doesn't feel slow and it still has a decent kick at 5k rpm. In fact the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is fantastic, the 182 always used to feel like the gears were a little to largely spaced but the Cup just takes off. The Megane on the other hand does feel slow with it's lazy power delivery and muted exhaust note.

And again, I'm not defending the Cup or my decision to swap the Trophy for it, I'm just pointing out what a load of b****cks people post on here.

I might go onto the Ferrari owners forum and start telling them what's wrong with an F430, a car I've never driven, but I'm sure from the stats I've read it's quite noisy and not nice to drive in traffic. ;)
wow, how defensive.

I've driven an R27 around spa so I think I know whats good or bad about its performance thanks.

I also drove it back to back with a megane R26 so I know that the R26 easily feels and is faster Lee, don't place me with the people that haven't driven them, the R27 is as near as the same as a cup unless they have added a turbo since i drove one........

Itis and feels slower compared to my r26 and my 182 so i can't see how you feel differently unless you are just trying to convince yourself and justify your purchase.

I have NEVER read a single review that has ever commented on how fast it feels, they always mention its not fast enough.

They also time it at around 7 seconds to 60 in reviews which as everyone will know is slower than a 182.

And i can't see why you had to bring my megane into this, muted exhaust note, not really, bet it doesn't sound any less loud than the cup exhaust and it hardly feels slow, its noticebly faster than the 182, it will do a 197 around most tracks, if not all tracks so please lets not get personal.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
You're just jealous you've blown all your cash on a car on HP and can't afford a house. ;)

Clio 197
I agree with some of the points made by JC but whats he really basing it all against? If he based it against a 207 GTi then i would say his opinion is wrong and what does he really expect out a small hot hatch these days?

I own a 197 and no i aint gonna sit here and defend it till the cows come home but to be fair looking at what the market has out there for NEW hot hatches i would say that its a pretty decent car... Yeah it has its minor problems (which car doesnt) but generally the over all feel and drive of the car is deffo better than any clio i have ever driven, mainly cause of the set up of the steering and such likes. but then again thats my opinion :star: :rasp:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Those little white tubs of lard are growing on me. Black wheels, complete with spoiler? Definitely.

A bit like a song you hate when you first hear it...... and then it grows on you. ;)