ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182Cup - 8 months and 13,000miles later

Do all these engines suddenly get a lot quicker around the 13k mark? I thought I knew my car inside out, but in the last few weeks since it had the 12k service, its been feeling very very rapid. The exhaust note has more rasp, the engine revs more eagerly and basically its just faster than it ever has been :D I know the air has been quite dense over the last week, but its more than that I think.

[Edited by Roy Munson on 9/10/2005 3:44:41 PM]

Oh, and Im still on original rubber all round :D

suprisingly the hot weather is going, and the cool air is great for engines ;)

also, yes, they do free up over time, then they detonate

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

16k - still on original rubber. swapped front to back at 11500 miles. ;)

Mine seems to be going nicely as well roy.

Elise/VX220/R26

if your still on your original tyres after 13k maybe you just put your foot on athe accelerator a bit too much and thats where the additional speed is coming from?? ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 10 September 2005
Do all these engines suddenly get a lot quicker around the 13k mark? I thought I knew my car inside out, but in the last few weeks since it had the 12k service, its been feeling very very rapid. The exhaust note has more rasp, the engine revs more eagerly and basically its just faster than it ever has been :D I know the air has been quite dense over the last week, but its more than that I think.

HOOOOOOOO...

MMMMMOOOOOOO;)

havnt forgotten about the pics fella just been trying to get hold of a digicam to take them.

Im in the same place with my 172 Cup now, had my 12k a couple of weeks ago and now on 13k (I bought it on 8k in June). My surge of new life occured at about 10k, suddenly got noticeably quicker, although yesterday I did comment that it felt smoother now since the 12k service.

Im still (just) legally on original rubber, will be getting new front tyres in November I think.

Rattles come and go but never really bother me, especially good considering I cant remember the last time I had the radio on.

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 September 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 10 September 2005Do all these engines suddenly get a lot quicker around the 13k mark? I thought I knew my car inside out, but in the last few weeks since it had the 12k service, its been feeling very very rapid. The exhaust note has more rasp, the engine revs more eagerly and basically its just faster than it ever has been :D I know the air has been quite dense over the last week, but its more than that I think.

HOOOOOOOO...

MMMMMOOOOOOO;)

havnt forgotten about the pics fella just been trying to get hold of a digicam to take them.

LOL no worries about the pics duder. What can I say?! I smoke it on a regular basis and I still have plenty of rubber left :oops: A lot of my miles (75%) are mororway, and I dont, as a rule, rape roundabouts.

Quote: Originally posted by CarboliSmokeBal on 10 September 2005
How are the rattles fairing? :D

I dont really have any that I notice mate. Im not anal enough to worry about every little sound in a car that cost me 12 large and puts a bigger smile on my face than many Ive driven costing three times as much :cool:

lol, you must drive like a girl, mine lasted 6k

I dont drive like a girl LOL. But I am aware that hammering it through bends will shred rubber faster than anything else. Unless my line of sight is good on a B-road, I dont belt it round corners because I have seen what happens in a head-on with a combined speed of 120mph (anyone got a tin opener?).

In short, I do drive it hard on the road but I will not hammer round bends where I cant see far enough ahead to stop i.e. 90% of B-road bends. Plus I aint done any track days :oops:

just had the 12k service on my 182. feels so much faster. Was commenting to a mate about how it feels to be getting slower. even borrowed another to give it a check and that felt like it was pulling better from lower down – had 20k on it though.

anyhow, really surprised about how dif it feels after the service. suspect a change of filter, oil etc. has worked a treat. or maybe it’s just the temp getting cooler. shame I just got the gtech (group buy) today and not last week – could have had a before and after service comparison.

got new rubber at 9k. pads only marked as 20% worn on service record. was expecting more. guess im either not braking enough or not hard enough.

My pad were marked down as 40% worn but its b****cks. A guy takes a glance and jots down how worn he thinks they are...hardly a job for Sherlock. Ill worry about my pads when I need to. The rears will probably last as long as the car anyway.

106 GTi

Glad you are still enjoying it, my 182 is just over 6 months old but only just done over 1400 miles, need to use it more and find the extra performance you lot are getting!

What can I say?! I smoke it on a regular basis

We talking about tyres or c**k now Roy ?
;)

I dont drive like a girl LOL. But I am aware that hammering it through bends will shred rubber faster than anything else.

You havnt seem me with the ladies then ;)

VaVa

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

talented guy you are Roy!!!

... but orignal rubber after 13k gives you -100 man points.

8,000 on my 172.... And loony still called me gay for that. Must try harder!!!;)

Yaris Hybrid

Sounds like a weather boost to me.

Tyre life sounds ok, if you only hammer the car in a straight line like I do then the tyres should last.

Cornering hard doesnt do the most damage to the tyres IMO, its when you get a clumsy driver who abuses the car by using too much throttle in corners causing masses of understeer - this just makes a lot of noise, burns a lot of rubber but if anything you go slower. There are plenty of people that have got only 5k out of the fronts on their 1.2 Extremes for example by not having the best technique.

I have done as many miles in my 182 as I had done in my first 1.2 16v when I sold it and despite going quicker rounder corners in the 182 the tyres look new compared to the continentals on my 1.2!

I already mentioned the weather, but Ive enough experience of the car to realise thats its become genearlly quicker in the last few weeks...

BMW M3

My pads showed 10% wear at 12k service and tires are good.. and i thought i drive pretty quickly however mainly on straight roads.... dont really do much high speeds round corners even though i know the 182 is highly capable of it.... and that is probably due to the fact that i wrote off my last car by going round corners too fast. Ploughed straight through a solid stone wall at very high speed at night and rolled into a field. Amazingly, my friend and i were ok. Didnt even see the corner before i hit it.... so that scared me quite alot. Oh and the field belonged to another of my friends dad so he just pulled it out and it started after about 15 mins of tampering..!!!

Lesson well learnt i think....

[Edited by Justin182 on 10 September 2005 at 8:20pm]

My pad were marked down as 40% worn but its b****cks. A guy takes a glance and jots down how worn he thinks they are...hardly a job for Sherlock. Ill worry about my pads when I need to. The rears will probably last as long as the car anyway.

Did he say 40% all round?

Mine were said to be 30% front, 40% rear
:confused:

Wonder if the rears are softer than the fronts?

Your still enjoying it then, i take it?

Hell yeah mate, the car is as much fun now as it ever has been. Its a shame its not superbly built, but if it was, it would cost 20 large like the other UberHatches, and still wouldnt be as much fun. Put it this way - I cant wait to have a play with an Astra VXR...the driver is going to get a shock when he looks in his mirrors :eek:

Clio 197

Did he say 40% all round?

Mine were said to be 30% front, 40% rear
:confused:

Wonder if the rears are softer than the fronts?

Your still enjoying it then, i take it?

I guarantee you that at your next service, that 40% rear figure wont be any different!

I changed my 182 pads @ around 18k, all of them still had plenty of "pad" left, but they were cooked and glazed and falling apart..

RB182cup&golf gti

Quote: Originally posted by Justin182 on 10 September 2005

My pads showed 10% wear at 12k service and tires are good.. and i thought i drive pretty quickly however mainly on straight roads.... dont really do much high speeds round corners even though i know the 182 is highly capable of it.... and that is probably due to the fact that i wrote off my last car by going round corners too fast. Ploughed straight through a solid stone wall at very high speed at night and rolled into a field. Amazingly, my friend and i were ok. Didnt even see the corner before i hit it.... so that scared me quite alot. Oh and the field belonged to another of my friends dad so he just pulled it out and it started after about 15 mins of tampering..!!!

Lesson well learnt i think....

[Edited by Justin182 on 10 September 2005 at 8:20pm]
jeezus!!

had my 182 cup since december and covered just under 4k, does seem to be getting quicker tho, love it to bits!

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 10 September 2005
Cornering hard doesnt do the most damage to the tyres IMO, its when you get a clumsy driver who abuses the car by using too much throttle in corners causing masses of understeer - this just makes a lot of noise, burns a lot of rubber but if anything you go slower. There are plenty of people that have got only 5k out of the fronts on their 1.2 Extremes for example by not having the best technique.

you should see how many roundabouts there are here. I cant resist getting the ass in cars hence the cause of some of the accelerated wear.

Turbo Beige

I know off a couple of 182s past the 25,000 mark that need rear discs and pads (discs cost around £200 for the pair because of there integral hub) rear bias is high for a small car.

My 182 has 4000 miles on the clock (in 7 weeks) and that includes a trip to the nurburgring with ten laps and my tyres show no real wear apart from on the edges. Wear depends entirely on driving style and the roads your driving on.

Ive decided, its definitely got quicker in the last 1000 miles. Its not the weather, since Ive had it since January.

The exhaust has taken on a more free flowing agressive rasping noise, especially above 5000rpm. I can hear the engine breathing better. On my benchmark stretch of tarmac its hitting 100 at least 50 yards sooner (or more) than it had been. I know it sounds daft, but if someone told me Id just been upgraged to 190ps+, I would totally have believed them.

I absolutely hammererd the car from the second it was delivered. Perhaps I have been lucky and have a very nippy example? I know Im not imagining it.

roundabouts are great, try going round a fairly small one as fast as you can to see if you can stop other people getting on <A onclick="javascript:eek:penWin(IE_emoticons_smilies.asp,smilies,toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=400,height=400)">:D

muz

big fat japanese bus
Re: Archived Post from old forum

Roy Munson said:

under 30 k miles but have new discs and pads on front and new pads on back

Mind you trackdays do have thier effects ...

My 172 got quicker with miles, it had 40k on the clock when I sold it, and it had really loosened up nicely :approve:

Can't wait for the 182 to do the same!

Re: Archived Post from old forum

seb182 said:
16k - still on original rubber. swapped front to back at 11500 miles. ;)

Mine seems to be going nicely as well roy.

arent' you supposed to keep the better tyres on the rear to prevent the back end going?