ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182... what upgrades would you fit to your perfect spec road car?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t see the vids on my phone at the mo.
I swapped mine out from under the car, looks like you took the whole unit out.
I’m going to try the lead shot first and then try to reinstall my PTFE bearing now I’ve released a lot of the preload.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Small update on this,
PMS shifter now at a point where its tolerable.

One issue i have to admit wasn't the shifters fault but was causing an issue selecting 5th. This turned out to be a worn selector ring on 5th gear which was causing an intermittent notchiness to it engagement. Not sure how this was missed when the box was built as its had all new bearings and synchros?
A new selector ring has cured this issue. This compounded the hideous buzzing of the shifter and i was getting ready to rip it out and throw it at someone!

At the same time we refitted the PTFE lined bearing that i had removed the preload on and thanks to @perazzi who supplied me some lead shot for the link rod.
The PTFE bearing/lead shot combo has made a significant difference to the resonance inside the cabin and for the most part the shifter is silent at almost all rpms. The shifter finally feels smooth, tight and engagement is clean.

In addition to my "perfect road spec 182" i have just collected a brand new set of 2118s with some R888s for summer use and after much discussion ordered a set of AST5100s which i have specified are for fast road use and are to be valved/sprung accordingly.
Hoping to use reasonably soft springs so the car rides properly and still maintains exceptional chassis control that exceeds that of the halo'd Trophy.

We shall see lol, so much for keeping it standardish :D

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Small update on this,
PMS shifter now at a point where its tolerable.

One issue i have to admit wasn't the shifters fault but was causing an issue selecting 5th. This turned out to be a worn selector ring on 5th gear which was causing an intermittent notchiness to it engagement. Not sure how this was missed when the box was built as its had all new bearings and synchros?
A new selector ring has cured this issue. This compounded the hideous buzzing of the shifter and i was getting ready to rip it out and throw it at someone!

At the same time we refitted the PTFE lined bearing that i had removed the preload on and thanks to @perazzi who supplied me some lead shot for the link rod.
The PTFE bearing/lead shot combo has made a significant difference to the resonance inside the cabin and for the most part the shifter is silent at almost all rpms. The shifter finally feels smooth, tight and engagement is clean.

In addition to my "perfect road spec 182" i have just collected a brand new set of 2118s with some R888s for summer use and after much discussion ordered a set of AST5100s which i have specified are for fast road use and are to be valved/sprung accordingly.
Hoping to use reasonably soft springs so the car rides properly and still maintains exceptional chassis control that exceeds that of the halo'd Trophy.

We shall see lol, so much for keeping it standardish :D
You've gone wrong with the 2118's. Lead boots don't help handling at all!

And they look s**t😩🤣.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My perfect road spec clio;

Petrol blue clio 182 FF.
Bilstien B14’s,
15 inch TD1.2’s in silver with PS4’s.
recaro SPG bucket seats but with standard seatbelts.
Sabelt steering wheel.
Janspeed exhaust and sports cat (best I’ve ever heard!)
and some decent discs pads and fluid with braided lines.
decent DAB Radio, updated speakers and two under seat subs under the front two seats.

With regards to everything else; all refreshed standard stuff.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
They are. I think @Coops Mk1 has weighed every wheel that fits a mk2 at some point and found turini's to be deceptively light.

Not sure about the smaller sizes but know the 18” Turinis are flowformed and pretty light for their size. I know you can certainly feel the difference in the steering from heavy vs significantly lighter wheels too.
I ran Volk CE28Ns on my Impreza for a while which were sub 7kg for an 18x8 and compared to a 9kg Turini they felt impressive.
Trouble is I don’t really like the other 15” wheel style offerings ☹️

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So...

You’ve got £500 for your next upgrade to the car and you only have the following 2 options:

a) Group N timing & map
b) Roll Centre Correction hubs.

Asking for a friend.

That bigger improvement huh @ZachB?

Honestly I cant say but its what I would (want) do, I have rose jointed tie ends but standard lowers.

I have the laguna/cup racer uprights, I need the sepherical lowers for them and its getting the coilover sorted to suit the 65mm spacing which is the hassle.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly I cant say but its what I would (want) do, I have rose jointed tie ends but standard lowers.

I have the laguna/cup racer uprights, I need the sepherical lowers for them and its getting the coilover sorted to suit the 65mm spacing which is the hassle.

Mines on totally stock map so my next area of attention is the map/timing and or a pair of RCK hubs. Cars a daily driver as you know but just want to make the best package out of it.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Heard nothing but good things from the RCK, but seen as you have the ASTs and grippy tyres, I'd be going with the Group N and enjoying it. You've done all suspension parts so it'll handle great anyway.

I've no experience of either but that would be my choice.

(Speaking on behalf of a friend.)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I would go with B but go with the Northloop kit over the BCS bolt on kit, Ive had both and the design/quality of Marks was better.

BUT on a road car they would need regular cleaning , you could get dust boots from McGills to try and protect the joints, I fitted boots and grease packed them on all the rose joints on my porsche suspension.

These along with the AST's will complete the handling package on your car.

The group N timing does give a nice increase in low down torque , but would say finish one are a of the car then move onto the next.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
If the car is generally used as a road car then I dont think you will really feel the benefit from the RCK, it's only when you are really pushing on track that you feel the most benefit. It will definitely increase your maintenance time as they do need lots of care and cleaning..

Personally I'd get some 197 cams in it, group N timing and get over to EFi for Chris to give it a tweak..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Once your mate has it handling it Bob on he'll want more power than just a remap anyway. So tell him Northloopcup hubs then a good hunter set up and than save for a turbo😉👍.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Lmao at you lot.

The Cayman wears all spherical bearings up front (RSS Tarmac coffin arms etc) and thats used mostly on road, however does about 3-6k miles per annum.
The Clio does approx 13k per annum and used every day and in all weathers.
I’m aware they would require regular cleaning/greasing etc.
Possibly even bearing replacement annually.

Just wondering what would give most benefit in terms of driving enjoyment vs monies spent.

Better steering or better drivability. 🤔

Cant say for 13k but my rose joints went through over a year easily and through a winter and were perfectly fine, I changed them just as a precaution but didnt need to

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Rather than Turbo i would Love to go SUPERCHARGE!..But thats obvs just a dream.
I would like to go 197 Cams or something similar,Group N timing,RS2 then Mapped!..i think that would be best set up for a daily & N/A👌🏼

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah RS2 is a good shout. They look mega sexy too😍. I reckon @frayz will crumble and boost it though😂.
Ha, I’m not made of money ya know. 😂
From what I’ve seen I’m not sure 197 cams offer a great deal over just the std ones with GrpN settings?
RS2s are also few/far between with most of the gains being up top are they not?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Ha, I’m not made of money ya know. 😂
From what I’ve seen I’m not sure 197 cams offer a great deal over just the std ones with GrpN settings?
RS2s are also few/far between with most of the gains being up top are they not?

Not a great deal in it between 197 cams and GrpN timing power wise, but iirc you can’t get a clio to pass emissions test with GrpN timing, whereas you can with 197 cams.

I have 197 cams fitted and mapped at EFI to my 172, and it made another 15bhp.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My perfect road spec clio;

Petrol blue clio 182 FF.
Bilstien B14’s,
15 inch TD1.2’s in silver with PS4’s.
recaro SPG bucket seats but with standard seatbelts.
Sabelt steering wheel.
Janspeed exhaust and sports cat (best I’ve ever heard!)
and some decent discs pads and fluid with braided lines.
decent DAB Radio, updated speakers and two under seat subs under the front two seats.

With regards to everything else; all refreshed standard stuff.
You cant get ps4s for 15s 👀

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Well the mappings gonna have to wait, option B happened but they need overhauling and a clean up/protecting before i can fit them to the car. I'll probably fit up my dampers first and then do the RCK hubs afterwards to note the difference in performance.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not made of money he says.....

Yeah, right!! Have you seen what you've done in 6 months?!

Er… y e a h.
Its only really a few bits and bobs though. I've got some way to catch up with you boys :D
Even i admit i've kinda got a little carried away as once the "im keeping it stock" gloves came off, well its all fair game isn't it. :D