ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs Cooper S in Autoexpress

dk

911 GTS Cab

as above really, there is a review of the 182 vs. the mini cooper s in todays autoexpress, didnt buy it as it will be waiting for me at home but I think the 182 won.

they did say that the stripes on the press car are starting to peel off so not much cop really, especially for £300!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by st33ly on 07 April 2004

£30 for plastic stripes!!!!!!!!! WTF. I could paint some on for a £10!!!!!!!!!!
no £three hundred!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by chowy on 07 April 2004

But then they are not covered under Renault warranty!! LOL!
LMAO ^^^^ but they would probably find an exuse not to fix them,if you have an induction kit it made the car faster and thats why they peeled off.

ian

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 07 April 2004

no the mini won!;)
really, how the hell? 182 was definitely faster, they had it at 6.8 (which I am sure they have borrowed from Evo and not tested themselves) and the mini 7.3.

0-60 isnt everything. Doesnt say a thing about handling, in gear pull, overall image, quality, re-sale values.......

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by BikeMan on 07 April 2004

0-60 isnt everything. Doesnt say a thing about handling, in gear pull, overall image, quality, re-sale values.......
didnt say it did, was just pointing out the fact that I had seen the performance figures and the 182 was quicker. No other magazine has put the cooper s ahead of the 182, this is the first time it has lost i think

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

funny, it couldnt have won in terms of straight line speed, as my 16v quite happily pulled 2 car lengths to 130mph;), so a 182 should be much quicker

This is the bit where it ranks them:-

1) Mini Cooper
+ points Funky styling, torquey engine, cabin quality, steering, handling, ownership experience.
- points Poor boot space, not as well equipped, supercharger whine

2). 182
+ points Exterior tweak, grip, direct steering, punchy and responsive engine, great brakes.
- points Dull interior compared to Minis, driving position, strip quality, low-speed ride.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

- point..strip quality Wtf

Lmao thats dredging the barrel,yet to hear of anybody who has the strips,even on here.

Oooo Oooo better not get a 182 the strip quality which nobody gets is poor :D

who the hell rates these things?how can you mark down the 182s interior and say good things about the mini cooper s barbie playhouse like interior? i have only driven a cooper and it baffles me i really dont rate these cars that highly, secondly what are they testing it as? a hot hatch? onership experience wtf is that all about??

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

End of the day guys it dont matter what teh mags think, they are an opinion and thats it. If you buy a car, its what you think of it. Do Vectra drivers care that Clarkson hates it so much.

Dont worry. Just enjoy what you have if you like it and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

I know what a load of rubbish, "ownership experience" What having a car everyone on the planet has got. They are so common in Manchester I must see 5 or 6 Cooper Ss a day only seen one other 182 to date.

Auto Express Star ratings:-

Engine/performance 182 ***** MCS *****
Ride/handling 182 **** MCS ****
Interior 182 *** MCS *****
Styling 182 *** MCS *****
Value for Money (now this is a joke) 182 **** MCS ****

Orange 182

Well said Matty...

Just for the record this is the third time the two cars have been compared and as it stands its 2 - 1 to the 182. Both Evo and Car rated the 182 more highly than its competitors and personally when reviewing a performance car I am definitley more interested in what these magasines have to say. Evo and Car analyse the factors that are important to a hot hatch. Ive found that AutoExpress seems to contradicts itself every issue and reviews anything from a Tesco trolley upwards...

The summary pages of both reviews can be found below:

http://www.zen23608.zen.co.uk/182review/Evo_summary.JPGEvo and http://www.zen23608.zen.co.uk/182review/Car_summary.jpgCar

I dont get too bothered about what mags have to say as they are often very fickle and change what they say from issue to issue. The annoying thing about these reviews are when people who believe every word come up to you and say "hey look what this says about your car!", without ever forming opinions of their own.

I get fed up with people always criticising the Clio driving position. Yes, it does feel odd when you first drive one, but you get used to it very quickly to the point where you dont even notice it.

As for the stripes coming off. In Evo (I think) they mentioned how they were hastily applied by the Renault press guys and have probably been subjected to several jet washes, so its no wonder they are peeling off.

Tappd'd RS

wtf is wrong with the clios driving position???

Theyve been on about it for years, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it IMO. Im 6ft and I never had any problems with the seat being too high.

Its not a lotus for gawds sake! :confused:

Orange 182

Totally agree mailto:B@llsie">B@llsie, Im over 6 foot and Ive found the driving position as good as any car Ive driven.

The way its critisized, I was half expecting to be pushing pedals on the pasenger side of the first 172 I sat in...