ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Tyre Pressures (again)

Okay I think Ive said before how sensitive my Cup is to tyre pressures. I had been noticing in the last week that the car didnt feel quite as sharp and sure footed as it should. Today I was giving it the big potatoes around a bend I know very well and got all out of shape...lifted off, back end went light and I had to gather it together pretty sharpish (ESP off)

So I rolls into the nearest sainsburys knowing that my pressures are a tad low. They were 30/29, pumped em back up to my now defacto standard 34/32. Sublime difference...I really must check them at least once a week :confused:

Know your tyre pressures, kids. Ive never known a car to be so sensitive.

Try running them a bit higher, like 38/36, it helps stiffen the sidewalls but is a much firmer ride, try it out you might like it;)

Fawk me mate, I have ran them at 35/32 before and liked it but wouldnt go any higher. At 38 your steering must feel like youre driving on ice??

SLK 350

Not only that but if you over inflate your tyres you are liable to experience a blow-out on longer journeys such as motorway driving because the air will expand within the tyre once they are fully warmed.

Just be careful not to give them too much pressure :)

I dont run them that high too often, mainly when i go for a drive ill put the pressures up, having said that i have a mate with a 1822 cup thats runs his at the same pressures daily and has not had a problem, car has about 10k on the clock now

Clio 197
Yup...

I'm running 34/32 too - I've found it to be best.

All of our tyre pressures will drop this time of year, because it's getting a lot cooler all of a sudden.

1998 BMW e46 323i
32f 30r, always make sure I check them when tyres are fully cold... Don't drive the car to the petrol station to check the pressure!

I run a 172 mkII full fat, does anyone know what pressures Renault recommend?

My mk2 172 went into the dealer for its 4yr service with 32/30 and came out with 40/30 !! Nearly lost it on the first roundabout...

Mind you, when I had the Toyos fitted the guy was so gutted at the price I'd got them for he left it at 45 all round!!

cheers for the reminder, had mine for 4 weeks and noticed it would always try to wander to the right on the road slightly.

Just checked the pressures with a digital meter and they were crazy...

Front 37 35
Rear 40 34

Renault dealerships eh !

I took the pressures down to 32 - 30 and didnt like the way the car performed at speed - changed them to 35 - 32 and noticed a huge difference. The car was far more precise through corners and I could 'feel' the amount of traction that the tyres had at any time far better than at lower pressures.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
36/32 Best - for my cup once they get to 31/29 the car feel horrible. Just goes to show how critical tye pressure is. Hey even the F1 teams alter tyre pressures during the race ..!!

Re: Archived Post from old forum

ozzyo99 said:
Not only that but if you over inflate your tyres you are liable to experience a blow-out on longer journeys such as motorway driving because the air will expand within the tyre once they are fully warmed.

Just be careful not to give them too much pressure :)

Thats rubbish mate, higher pressure make the tyre run cooler.

The problem with too high is that the tyre will deform and the contact patch will decrease, leaving you with less traction for accelerating, braking and cornering.

I run 37F 34R.

I used to run 39F 32R when my Exaltos were new, but now they are worn I don't get any grip at 39psi.

Clio 197
Too-high a pressure, and the middle of the tyre will wear-out quicker than the rest... (warms up and starts to bulge on the motorway).

omar said:
Too-high a pressure, and the middle of the tyre will wear-out quicker than the rest... (warms up and starts to bulge on the motorway).

Thats right, but only well above 40psi!

40psi is probably the best for fuel efficiency and safety (tyres run cooler) on the freeway.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Well i feel like ive learnt a lot reading this thread! I was always running 32/30 and thought this was pretty high psi, but im going to up it to about 35/32 and take it for a blast :)

Black/Gold 182
I haven't checked mine since I bought it (back in June). Better take a look! BTW - do you guys have footpumps or what? Or do you check cold, then drive to a garage to top up (with an allowance for a bit of warming)

Mondeo STTDCI
Ditto I was running 32/30 and worried that 35+ was too high but will be experimenting. Just bought a keyring digital tyre gauge from halfords so I can read them more frequently too.