ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Track Car Newbie, Any advice?

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Alright guys, Recently purchased a 182 with my father in law with the intention of doing some track days, Any advice on things to do/change would be greatly appreciated, Big one is what brakes to use? We will be using the car to get to and from the trackdays

Got some Turinisi which i intended for the track, Which tyres?

Any advice would be great

All sparked from a track day with Ginetta and Palmersport

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Personally - I would address the basics first - swap both the engine and gearbox oils. Make sure that your pads have plenty of life on them and the tyres have enough tread on them....... then go for a track day.

I wouldn't recommend ploughing time & money into changing a car that you might be really comfortable to begin with.

Let your feedback and progression build up over time - you'll spend money much more wisely that way.

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Track pads front and tyres, I've purchased Ferodo DS1.11 & Federal 595's. As long as the rears are ok I tend to leave them and invest the budget on front pads.
Braided hoses & Dot 4 brake fluid.
Pending budget change engine and gearbox oil & filter.
Make sure you can screw in the tow hook.
I tend to do no more than 4-5 laps then let the car cool down. Never apply the handbrake when you come in directly off track.
Keep checking tyre pressure and fluids throughout the day.
Also check under the car for any fluid leakage everytime you set off on track.
Try and not get into a race with a friend or enemy!
Go at your own pace but build up speed/later braking as confidence grows.
Worth £20 to get instructor to sit alongside for 20 mins to teach driving line and turning in pointers.
Insure the car for a track day.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Brilliant Advise thanks guys

Roll cages, We are based in Birmingham so how much roughly? Any recommendations?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
cheers @OssPoop , i can get you sorted with your brakes and various other parts , just replied to message mate @MattRS182

To echo the above, making sure the car has had a good service and a once over/spanner check before tracking it . If needing new tyres, consider 15 inch wheels, tyres are cheaper and i preferred mine on them

Brakes, if you're sharing the car they tend to get hammered, as they never usually get a proper cool down, as you'll drive and FIL will be in the passenger seat and then you'll get back and pretty much swap straight over ime , so the car doesn't get the cool down like the usual 20 min on 20 min off general rule allows

Make sure the car isn't going to let you down, then get a track day booked and some tuition will help a lot. Then you can see how track focused you want the car to be going forward, stripped, caged etc etc

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Oils and filter (5w40)
General health check on all the bushes, brakes, hoses and mounts
Plugs (ONLY Genuine!) - @George@RTR_Parts sells em for about £40
Check injector spray pattern/resistance with a multimeter. They're notorious for ruining a good day out by shitting themselves! ?
Decent pads (DS1.11) and Brembo HC discs up front with decent pads on the rear (DS2500) with genuine discs and some good fluid (ATE Type200) @George@RTR_Parts can supply them at a very good price!
15" wheels with 195/50/15 Semi-slicks (NS-2R, AD08R, A048, R888, R888R, 595RSR)
Decent lowering springs (Cooksport, H&R or Eibach)
Insurance & Recovery
Tow Hook

After that, you should be set for an outing.

July will be my first trackday in my own car, I've spent the last year building it up to what I want. Build it however you want, spend your money on whatever you want, but just as long as everyone else is safe and having fun then what does it really matter! I've gone balls to the wall, sort of, because it will mainly be used on track but I've bought all the bits over the course of a year and a half. That way I don't see how much I've spent and I don't cry myself to sleep anymore?

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Thanks for all the help guys,

Track insurance? Will be 3 people sharing the car at each track day

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Good stoppers and good tyres are the main thing.

With 3 people sharing, you're all going to have different driving and braking styles, so decent pads and fluid will be key.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Took the car to get sound tested today, Currently running an original yozza sport with decat, obviously failed. So in need of a sports cat, Anyone recommend where to get one fitted? Based in Birmingham, West Midlands

Thanks