ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to a 172 mk1

182BG
these are going very cheaply now so im tempted to go for a mk2 phase1 172 so i can clear some debts, anyone done this?

being all the sports are pretty much the same, will i notice much difference overall?

Lee

Tangoed Works
you will notice a much slower steering response in the mk1 172 if you have cup pack 182. take one for a drive

audi a6 3.0tdi
i've not had a 182 but i have have got a phase 1 172 and love it to bits. it'll boil down to whether you can live with an older car. i wouldn't get a high mileage one either.

renaultsport clio 182
i have gone from a phase1 172 to a 182,the 182 is a better motor but the phase1 is still a cracking car.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
I have driven all of the 172/182s etc. Ph1 ones are better in my OWN opinion. The originals always are though, everything else is a poor copy lol.

I will be going now!

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
you will notice a much slower steering response in the mk1 172 if you have cup pack 182. take one for a drive

yes the 182 does handle better, little money invest in the mk1 172 and your sorted, the mk1 172 cable throttle makes a big differnce in my view, nice a sharp and instant. i prefer the drive of the mk1 172 maybe because the 182 didnt really live up to what i was expecting.

both interiors are shite and not a big differnce, the mk1 172 gets the sport colours on the seat markings and also white speedo dials :)

you gotto test drive one.

Last edited:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Interior is utter tripe, bearing in mind this is the part of the car you as a driver will see 90% of the time, it is a big factor for me. You can pick phase 2's up for peanuts. Look at The Hoff's, £5145, absolute peach.

Chocolate Bar™
i hate it when people say the ph 1 172 interior is tripe, coming from ph2 owners! the seats arent that different (i know i've owned both) only difference is the coloured top dash on the ph1's, no dash inserts to rattle and slightly diff shape. I prefer the dials, coloured logo on the seats and the gear knob of the ph 1. Also comes with silver electric window surrounds. Fair enough the steering wheel is shite but that can be changed/retrimmed easily.

I went from a 53 plate dynamique, to a ph1 172 and to be honest it drives a lot nicer than the newer car...

VaVa
The ph1 interior is gash, but that's not why I didn'y buy one. I wanted the xenons, climate, cruise etc. And I just simply preferred the way it looks. I don't consider it an issue that my car is fbw. Throttle response is plenty sharp enough!!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
i hate it when people say the ph 1 172 interior is tripe, coming from ph2 owners! the seats arent that different (i know i've owned both) only difference is the coloured top dash on the ph1's, no dash inserts to rattle and slightly diff shape. I prefer the dials, coloured logo on the seats and the gear knob of the ph 1. Also comes with silver electric window surrounds. Fair enough the steering wheel is s**te but that can be changed/retrimmed easily.

I went from a 53 plate dynamique, to a ph1 172 and to be honest it drives a lot nicer than the newer car...

The phase 1 interior is Plymobil blue, it's foul. The phase 2 interior isn't much better but it's a palletable colour at least and the dash design could pass as a recent design. The gear knob is a different matter however.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I’m on my second Mk1 172. The first one was the first & best hot hatch I have ever owned!!
I needed to get a cheap run around till I get my V6 next year & managed to pick a mint one up for 4k
Have always preferred the front end of the mk1 too

BMW M3
Lee, Ive thought about this a lot but have had a 172 before.

Persuaded my mate to buy a 2001 mk2 Silver 172 today with *cough* 19000 miles on the clock. He got it for £5495. Books at just over 6k in Parkers with a +£800 milage adjuster. Cheap as chips.

Cant help but think I missed out.

I've said this before on another thread. my gf has a 182, i have a ph-1 172, i like both cars but they're very different to drive, i prefer mine (no shock there :) ) it drives more like a go-kart than the 182, which is pretty refined and comfy.

I dont think the interior is gash, it aint the best but the ph-2 isn't going to win any beauty awards either! Like Evoo i dont spend much time looking at the dash when i'm in the car cuz i generally look at where i'm driving, tend not to get into too many accidents that way! But if you wanna sit in the car looking at the interior get a car with a nice interior.

Take a drive in one and find out, you'd be surprised how differently they drive.

Clio 172 mk2
I'd stick with the 182 nyself but that's only because I prefer the newer shape Clio over the MK1 RS.

I have driven all of the 172/182s etc. Ph1 ones are better in my OWN opinion. The originals always are though, everything else is a poor copy lol.

I will be going now!

arguably the Williams is even better then

it is, but this place is rife with sheer ignorance and the "newer is better" attitude. Renault have and never will make a hot hatch as good as the Williams... I was shocked how badly the Ph1 172 handles in comparison, even now the camber is setup and the coilovers it's still a mile behind

tiTTy & SV650
^ I agree, my 205gti was superior too, but at least the modern ones are a bit safer and not 'that bad'

true, hot hatches are losing the plot though, they are more hot-mid-sized-hatch-backs nowadays... f**k safety and the rest of that s**t, you want a raw car that's there to be driven hard. The safety is the fact they handle better and you as a driver are more connected with the car. 205's etc are still about, so it's not the car that is unsafe but the person driving them imo... bring back proper hot hatches, no 1000kg+ heffers!

tiTTy & SV650
agree to an extent but a mates gf was in a mk2 golf which had to stop quickly as the car in front did an emergency stop, the golf was then hit by a landrover defender which couldnt stop. The golf was 100% totalled, squashed to less than half its original length, anyone in the back of it would be dead. So even though you are safe, other road users still pose a threat.

don't get me wrong I agree just feel a bit safer in a more modern car and can still have fun.

I had a 205gti and thought it was the dogs but now i've got the ph-1 there's no comparison, its all about what the car is like relative the cars of its time, the 205 was great but the 172 is a different class all round and its a load safer.

182BG
i would stick with the 182 but i really would like to clear some debts, ive driven all of them except a phase 1, so i will go test one

Before i really didn't like the shape but i dunno why all of the sudden i seem to love the look of a phase 1, not to bothered about the interior (ive seen worse)

I was considering a 106gti but theres issues with the pedals and my BIG feet. lol

titanium 182,
personally if it was my choice without comprimises i would have a 5 gt turbo over any clio my old 5 would of wasted my clio for speed excitement and cheekyness but the thing cost more to run than my 5 litre tvr and im not kidding you and the 5 drunk more fuel :cool: but the clio 2 is the best newish hatch. if you want a new small french go kart you will have to wait for the new twingo :coffee:

Chocolate Bar™
cheers middo

love the yellow one!

lol you've got good taste ;)

yellow one will be a good bet, looks like its only had one owner, bodywork looks in good nick, interior looks mint and wont depreciate as much as the other colours