ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

Pug :(
I did a search and can't seem to find any good responses to the question. So my apologies if this has already been a topic, I maybe just can't find it :eek:

Now I would like some advice really, I have circa 7k-8k to spend on one off the above mentioned cars. Now they both look great and both can sound great. Running costs one would assume are similar. If not still not a issue.

Which is quicker in the real world? which feels better in the twistie's ect, you guys will no better than myself.

I can't go for a turbo car of any sort and has to be 2L or under, company insurance.

Also if going for a 182, which I have to say my heart says to do. Would going for a trophy be a good idea? I'm thinking may hold it's value more for a year or two then trading for a FRS.

All opinions are welcome even if that's don't choose either!

Thanks guys and girls possible.:approve:

225 Cup & Williams
Never driven a 197 but from what I've read the 1*2 feels a lot more raw to drive down a B road. 197 will be a nicer place to be though day to day I would imagine.

pimp mobile Zafira
The problem is that people will tend to say go with what they've got. My preference would be a 182 as that is what I've got. Spend a few extra quid and get a Trophy. As for mpg then the 182 wins hands down.

Pug :(
Wow thanks for the quick reply's guys. Christopher you really reckon the 200 is that good? maybe spend extra and get one? Have to say though looks wise my heart just keeps saying 182.

107 Track Car & C4
I test drove both (197 and a 182), both non-cup packed and prefered the drive and the feel the 182 gave me over the 197. Looking back now though, I wish I had gone for a 197 as it was a nicer place to sit and looks more modern. All depends on what you are looking for.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I came from a mk2 1.4 to an r27 (197)

I wanted a 197 as its bigger, marginally better made and newer.

In the real world, they're both as fast as each other, 1*2s and mk3s. People say the mk3s feel slower but they actually aren't. People are surprised at the speed they're going. A few people have done write ups after coming from the mk2 to 3.

mk3s have slightly worse mpg, I'm sitting at 29.9mpg with steady driving, a mate of mine is doing 30 in his 182 after thrashing it lol :(

mk3s corner very well, the speed/stability they have in corners is brilliant, I bottle out before the car reaches its limits lol

172, Tiguan
I've got both. Drive one of each and see which you prefer. Two very different cars.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I did drive a couple of 182's 197's and just my 200, and the 200 is just, better.

the 182 feels cheap in comparison (I know it it, but still)

the 197 feels like a poor version of the 200, IMO ofc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
but he's not asking about a 200, it was 197 or 182 iirc ..............?

I've had 2 172 Cups, a Cupped 182 and x2 197's (non Cupped and now a Cup) ;)

Its Summed up above really. If you want a car that feels prehistoric, get the 182 ;)

The 182 feels more brutal on acceleration, and are rewarding to drive there's no doubt about it. In the real word the 182 is maybe a dick hair quicker, but we're splitting hairs tbh. The 197 is a nicer place to be, and just as rewarding when giving it a good stir over a B road. Also, if you get a decent specced one cupped with Recaros, you'll be rolling like a boss :)

BTW the 197/200 bit has been done to death. A cupped 200 has a nicer turn in, and maybe a bit nicer round town, but after that, meh. The 200 fanboi's make it sound like a night and day difference. Driving both, its not, its the same car with the same inherent issues. If you cained both side by side, they would stay just that. The only difference would be like all Renaultsports, you get good ones/bad ones.

Depends what you're looking for?

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
197s don't feel as raw as the 182s. The 182s feel more chuckable. Acceleration is pretty much the same but the 197 feels more comfortable getting to 80mph than the 182s. Mpg is around 28 on the 197s and 35 on the 182s with combined driving. (All in my opinion comparing mine, a friends standard 182 non ff, and a standard 197)

R27 currently sat at 33.4 mpg over the last few thousand miles. The daily drive sees steady motorway driving at around 70mph, with 'moments' of spirited driving from the M3 along the Basingstoke ring road. The car goes over 5000rpm every day. I just give it some mechanical sympathy and the mpgs seem to take care of themselves.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Exactly, mine is always around 30, at worst kicking the arse off it over a tank full it'll dip to 28. Never seen it below that.

I've had a Cup packed 182 and now own a 197 Cup

The 182 was a lot cheaper, better mpg and there are loads of used parts about to modify.

I prefer my 197 cup because it's white (not an option as standard on 182) there arn't many about (well around here) it has more road presence and its nicer to be in inside - I'd even go as far as to say it's roomy for passengers if you need it to be. I'm not loving the mpg but I didn't buy it to save money.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
In honesty, the difference is all about preference. I've had four RS Clio's. A Phase 1 172, a cup packed 182, a Phase 1 172 Exclusive and at current a 172 Cup.

I love the fact it returns 35mpg. I also love that after 5 years of Renault Sport ownership when i boot it onto a motorway up to 90mph i'm still smiling like a child with a problem.

I love they are so cheap to run in terms of £'s per smiles. But i especially love the fact that everytime i get in it to drive it, it feel's like an occasion. I love Renault Sport ownership and can pretty much subscribe myself to always owning one.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
That's exactly it ^

I don't think the 182 will ever get sold

In a few months it'll be parked next to a 205gti as that is a car I've wanted for ages - 20 years

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Be a 182 over 197 or 200 for me.

Other than the Recaros in the 197/200 the build quality is still just as crap.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
For me, a hot hatch is all about the most fun, for the least £££'s. The 1*2 delivers in this respect, hence why im on my 3rd Trophy, 4th 182 and 5th 1*2. Im not currently using it as a daily however, which is probably why i still love them soo much lol.

I owned a 197 Cup for 3 weeks and whilst it did really push the game on in terms of braking & gearbox, the steering was too light, it actually felt slow unless you were at 5k rpm+ and the build quality was still rather, umm, French - which imho, simply wasnt good enough for what it cost me.

A 200 may well be better, but £10k for a clio is still too much for me to stomach. When they drop to £6k, i might try one again.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
+ 1 iv just come back to my third clio 172 and realy is a great little car for so little out lay .

Alan

For me, a hot hatch is all about the most fun, for the least £££'s. The 1*2 delivers in this respect, hence why im on my 3rd Trophy, 4th 182 and 5th 1*2. Im not currently using it as a daily however, which is probably why i still love them soo much lol.

I owned a 197 Cup for 3 weeks and whilst it did really push the game on in terms of braking & gearbox, the steering was too light, it actually felt slow unless you were at 5k rpm+ and the build quality was still rather, umm, French - which imho, simply wasnt good enough for what it cost me.

A 200 may well be better, but £10k for a clio is still too much for me to stomach. When they drop to £6k, i might try one again.

Racing Blue 182
Would going for a trophy be a good idea? I'm thinking may hold it's value more for a year or two then trading for a FRS.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you get an FRS with that budget anyway?

(My real input would be to go with the Trophy!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
1*2 all day long for me over a 197 or 200, its the economy difference that really seals it.

Performance wise there is almost nothing in it but the 1*2 gives way better economy, so its an easy decision.

Plus you can keep half your money that way too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you get an FRS with that budget anyway?

(My real input would be to go with the Trophy!)

He said for the company insurance it cannot be a turbo at this point in time.
And they didnt do a non turbo FRS

2002 172
I've had 2 182's, first one was a boggo 182:

DSC00015.jpg

Second was a RB 182 Cup (best one out the lot):

MyClio182Cup.jpg

2012-01-28150302.jpg

3rd was a 172 Cup (broke down within 25 miles of bringing it home):

C9F501DB-0B1C-47C2-B698-AFBBCFAF5812-1856-000000DE45658163_zps19c0b1f7.jpg

4th and current one is a normal 172:

myclio-1_zpsff24916a.jpg

In my opinion you can't get better value for money, hell of a lot of fun for not a lot of outlay. Just make sure you get a good one. I have spent a fortune on the black one this week and it's still not 100% right....yet! Number of owners wouldn't put me off buying it, think I'm the 11th owner of my current 172, other than rattling dephaser pulley and worn driveshaft it runs sweet as a nut!

Elise 111r, 182 FF
I had the same dilemma mate - and went out to drive both... Wasn't a doubt in my mind afterwards. Had my 182 just under a month and loving it. However if I sold one of my other cars and had a little more £££ would have gone for a 200, but they're still in normal depreciating stage.

2002 172
I've had a lot of 'quick' cars but the lesser powered Clio 1*2 has beaten them all in fun/satisfaction, cost wise.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
This

Cost +performance it is hard to beat .

Sold my Civic EP3 type R for £ 3000

Brought my Ph2 172 for £ 1400

Both very much the same car as far as performance / fun but the Clio will do 35MPG and has lots of toys compared to the civic and is newer and less miles .

Its really a no brainer for me .

Alan

I've had a lot of 'quick' cars but the lesser powered Clio 1*2 has beaten them all in fun/satisfaction, cost wise.