ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 manifold on 172

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi just wondering if anyone has done the K-tech 182 manifold on a 172 conversion. as i am lookin at k-tech s stealth exhaust, sports cat and 182 manifold. Is it really worth spending £1000+.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
probably not... there is a 182 manifold on ebay for 175 atm if your quick

i would get matched inlets before you bother with anything else. best money vs. performance mod available for clios, then get exhaust and filter...and sports cat if you wanted.

rps13
dont get a sports cat, get a decat then switch it over when you need to.

i have a sports cat and the car still doesn't pass an MOT

340i
deffo worth it.

LOL... complete opposite opinion to everybody else :rasp:

If you are doing other jobs at the same time, that would require dropping the subframe and you get the manifold CHEAP (I got one for £70 but sold it on) then maybe, but not the prices of buying one new.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
LOL... complete opposite opinion to everybody else :rasp:

as usual haha but lets remeber ive got everything he mentioned above and fitted them ;)

but as said if you can fit the manifold yourself then go for it if you can get one cheapish i wouldnt be paying to have one fitted or buying a new one!

being bloddy honest nothings worth it, leave them standard haha

There's no point to it what so ever. The 4-1 on the 172 is better for 'top end' power. The 4-2-1 is purely to increase mid-range torque at the expense of some top end power. Fine if you drive it like a diesel. Not so fine if you're planning on paying for it to create power.

Cheers
M

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
in theory a 4-1 gives more top end power than a 4-2-1 yes but i felt no decrease in top end power and a big gain of mid range torque which is what you need for a fast road car (which is what i use mine for) down a backroad it was much better to drive you could just leave it in 3rd instead of 2nd same with overtaking i used to drop to 2nd gear if i was out the powerband in 3rd but now i just leave it in 3rd and go for it and its much better

EDIT: im going for a RR on satarday so we can see what my powerband looks like compaired to how it looked on the standard manifold

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
in theory a 4-1 gives more top end power than a 4-2-1 yes but i felt no decrease in top end power and a big gain of mid range torque which is what you need for a fast road car (which is what i use mine for) down a backroad it was much better to drive you could just leave it in 3rd instead of 2nd same with overtaking i used to drop to 2nd gear if i was out the powerband in 3rd but now i just leave it in 3rd and go for it and its much better

EDIT: im going for a RR on satarday so we can see what my powerband looks like compaired to how it looked on the standard manifold

havent you done other mods though? so unfair test tbh

could just leave it in 3rd instead of 2nd same with overtaking i used to drop to 2nd gear if i was out the powerband in 3rd but now i just leave it in 3rd and go for it and its much better

The other one has bells on it if you'd like to pull that?

The difference in torque and curve shape between a 182 and 172 is minimal enough to prove the point. Just look at the peak values and the RPM they are achieved at on the 172 and 182 - pretty much identical torque values with 150RPM difference in the point the peak value was achieved at. The spread is slightly different but not enough to allow you go a gear up for similar acceleration!

Cheers
M

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
havent you done other mods though? so unfair test tbh

Yes i have now but i fitted the 182 manifold when the car was otherwise standard, granted i had to fit a decat at the same time for it to fit the exhaust system but imo the large torque gain was the manifolds work rather than the decat, but agreed its going to make a bigger power gain fitting it with a decat.

The other one has bells on it if you'd like to pull that?

The difference in torque and curve shape between a 182 and 172 is minimal enough to prove the point. Just look at the peak values and the RPM they are achieved at on the 172 and 182 - pretty much identical torque values with 150RPM difference in the point the peak value was achieved at. The spread is slightly different but not enough to allow you go a gear up for similar acceleration!

Cheers
M

i see where your coming from but lets also keep in mind that all engines are different is that data you said above the same engine with both manifolds? on the last scottish rr day we had 2 standard 172's making around 5lb/ft difference in peak torque, same going for 172's, as i said if thats on the same engine then point taken possibly it was my decat giving me the extra gain but all i know is by fitting the 182 manifold and decat gave me a decent power gain making the car much more driveable but as i also said a few posts back this is on a fast road car, on a track car where your constantly ringing the neck of the car keeping it as high up in the revs as possible you would maby end up with different results.

dont mean any of that in an argumentative way btw!

cheers
martin

Clio 172
its got to be fairly worth it if only to make it easier to swap the decat for the proper converter when its MOT time. its a s**t of a job with the 172 manifold. last time i did it i had bloody knuckles.

RS RIP
its got to be fairly worth it if only to make it easier to swap the decat for the proper converter when its MOT time. its a s**t of a job with the 172 manifold. last time i did it i had bloody knuckles.

^^ that's the one reason i also got one fitted.. Still have to get it on the rollers for a custom Fastchip-job this coming 14th to see how she runs

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
182 mani's on 172's DO NOT make the difference between 172 and 182 bhp...

It's a gain of about 3-4bhp....

Ph1
I'd recommend the set up BUT not at that price! (starter post)

Forget the sports cat and look to pay a maximum of 300 - 350 all done and fitted.

Can highly recommend it. Works well with other mods, cams and usualy bolt on's (with other mods mine recorded 175lbft RS Tunings RR) plus as already stated, far easier when messing with the exhaust system / cats and decats etc