ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Just failed MOT - Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
sadly the 182 just failed its MOT on steering rack gator has gone and emissions problem.

garage want £75 to do the gator, can anyone offer any advice on how to go about changing this or where its located?

im aware emissions can be a right pain to solve any general advice on this one? they were talking about a gasket probably gone somewhere

Last edited:
  CursedTitanium 182FF
Put your hand on the track rod end and follow the bar back till you feel the steering rack gaiter.

Is the exhaust blowing.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok, is it easy to change? im fairly handy when it comes to doing things on car if someone gives me a rough idea on what needs to be done

im assuming as this was only an MOT it can clearly be seen from under the car?

yeah i think the exhaust is blowing a little

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the forum is not very forthcoming with information like it normally is ;)

cant find any info regarding how to change steering rack gator

CursedTitanium 182FF
Wheel off, Track rod end off, count how many turns so it goes back on in the same place. Then cut any ties holding gaiter in place then pull it off iirc.

To seal the exhaust, use high temp black silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
what a fooking great video, many thanks. looks pretty simple to do, maybe an hours job?

wish there were more videos around like that

am leaving nwo to get the car so will gather a bit more info on exhaust problem

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Local parts place had them in stock, tenner

DSC_1623_zpsotp9trcq.jpg

im assuming it doesn't matter what grease you use?

they said exhaust is blowing right near the engine, where they pipes come down :(

CursedTitanium 182FF
Sounds like you need a new CAT fitting kit, buy genuine parts from renault Wolverhampton a trader on here. He is away till the 28th, but if you call them, the guys in the office will sort you out.

Don't use silicone or paste on the CAT fitting kit.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The one's you have bought are universal, these are made to fit a range of racks.

The only way you will get them to fit is by cutting/trimming them down to suit.

Failing that you will have to buy one from Renault.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Cut it and it fits fine, so one side done

What do you do if this nut and bolt both spin? I can't undo it

DSC_1625_zpsuv8ioh85.jpg

CursedTitanium 182FF
Put a jack under it and jack it up, if it still spins, you will need to cut the nut off. Use a nut splitter if you have one.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Why are cars so s**t to work on, I've tired wd40, shock and unlock, heat and a hammer but it will not move

DSC_1626_zpsbbbbtm6z.jpg

mk1 Octavia VRS
Plusgas and leave overnight? Bit of pipe on the end of the spanner for more leverage?

TREs are commonly a pain in the arse as a lot of garages seem to over-tighten them.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
What won't move?

If you are on about the track rod lock nut then put it back into the hub.

Clean the thread's up with a wire brush as they will be full of rust. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So the nut is now loose, you can wind it up the rack arm away from the track rod end?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So the nut is now loose, you can wind it up the rack arm away from the track rod end?

If so then you will have to put the track rod back into the hun and put the nut back on to hold it.

Then you will have to warm up the track rod where the rack arm screws into.
There should be a flat bit on the rack arm where you can fit a spanner?

You will have to work the rack arm as you warm up the rod untill it starts to move.

Don't go to mad as you will need to count the number of turns for when you fit the track rod end back. :)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Put a spanner on track rod arm and this hasn't helped

Also tried heat and it's done nothing

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How much heat?

It needs to be hot, also something to bear in mind is if you do have to get it hot then it may make the TRE useless as it might end up melting the grease.

Getting it bloody hot will expand the TRE and it will come undone.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Try getting the car treated by Terraclean to get the emmissions down. Had mine done and big difference. CO was 0 and HC was 6 parts per million

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
finally managed to get it off today, I think a night with shock and unlock on it helped. down side is I was unable to count the turns so going to have to get the tracking checked

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I used a ruler to take some measurements, so in mm its back in the same place. but not sure on the turn front if its in the same place