ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 handling problem

BMW 535D
Hi guys,
I don't know if its just me or what, but lately my 182 feels like its not steering as sharply as previously. The steering feels a little 'loose' and there's not as much 'feel' as before.

For example, in a progressive flat corner at speed the steering appears to feel a little light and loose, obviously not inspiring confidence.

I've checked wheel bearings, which are okay, and the car had a service on Monday so CV joints were given a once over.

The car has a small power steering fluid leak but I've been constantly topping it up to maintain the level.

The tracking is also slightly out as well, but has been since I bought the car.

Tyres are 6 month old PE2's and there are no signs of uneven wear.

Back when I had my clio 16v my track rod ends went which caused a similar problem, but in that instance the car would pull violently to the left on occasions regardless of steering wheel position.

Anyone had similar problems, or able to offer advice?

Much Appreciated.

Chris

Hi guys,
I don't know if its just me or what, but lately my 182 feels like its not steering as sharply as previously. The steering feels a little 'loose' and there's not as much 'feel' as before.

For example, in a progressive flat corner at speed the steering appears to feel a little light and loose, obviously not inspiring confidence.

I've checked wheel bearings, which are okay, and the car had a service on Monday so CV joints were given a once over.

The car has a small power steering fluid leak but I've been constantly topping it up to maintain the level.

The tracking is also slightly out as well, but has been since I bought the car.

Tyres are 6 month old PE2's and there are no signs of uneven wear.

Back when I had my clio 16v my track rod ends went which caused a similar problem, but in that instance the car would pull violently to the left on occasions regardless of steering wheel position.

Anyone had similar problems, or able to offer advice?

Much Appreciated.

Chris

Might not be the problem, but i'd sort these out before checking anything else. Also check tyre pressures.

BMW 535D
The power steering fluid leak is just a loose clip which I haven't had time to sort out, tracking will be sorted at the weekend.

What are the ideal tyre pressures? I run mine at 31psi all round but I've been told that 29psi front and 27 psi back is much better

BMW 535D
Right, after a weekend of 'spirited' driving to test the steering, I've come to the conclusion that there is an underlying problem . . . its' not just me being daft!

On sharp turn in the steering reacts by giving the feel of understeer without actually understeering before snapping back in line, almost as if there's air in the PAS fluid system which is compressing and damping the steering, does this sound feasible to anyone?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Rear shocks?

Jack the car up and i'll bet you 50p that one of them has pissed their fluid out. It will be easy to spot so long as the underneath of the car is dry.

BMW 535D
I would have thought that it'd be related to the power steering fluid leak that I've been having surely?

I'll check the shocks when I get a chance though

I've searched other threads for steering problems, it seems a lot of people have had similar faults with solutions being anything from ball joints to full on replacement steering racks

clio sport cup
The rear shocks, does it feel like the back of the car is slipping, jumping a wee bit about when you go over bumps on bends?

BMW 535D
No more than usual, in progressive bends the rear end jumps if it hits a bump in the road.

Car is on 40k now, it also had its' annual service last week.

BMW 535D
Just checked - rear shocks are bone dry.

Steering makes a squeak / knocking noise when stationery, I know many others have complained about this and resolved by changing ball joint.

BMW 535D
Update,

Just had tracking done, track & tie rods are all okay, nothing looks out of order under the car, apart from PAS fluid everywhere from the leak,

Now need to check:

PAS Pump
Steering Rack
Ball Joints
UV Joint

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Would it be worthwhile checking the anti-roll bar?

My car is currently handling really badly when cornering to the right......the back end seems to almost drift round corners, the car feels like it wants to tip over when cornering, when cornering (either direction) and go over a bump in the road the whole car sort of squiggles then straightens up. It's going in to Renault on Monday to see what the script is.......

BMW 535D
Looking under the car everything looked OK so I don't think roll bar would come into it.

Let me know how yours turns out bud?

RSC 182 Cup
A bit of a worry but I'm not sure I completely buy into it

I'll be taking mine to see my mechanic in a week so I'll see what he thinks

The outcome to that was the rear most hole is supposedly larger from the factory- but no dimensions were given. It would be worthwhile checking that those bolts mentioned are tightened to the correct torque.

BMW 535D
The outcome to that was the rear most hole is supposedly larger from the factory- but no dimensions were given. It would be worthwhile checking that those bolts mentioned are tightened to the correct torque.

Yeah its on my list for this weekend!

Tracking seems to have sorted my problem out a fair bit, although there is still a little play in the rack and I'm convinced that the car still isn't right when cornering hard.

RSC 182 Cup
It might be the shock absorbers ageing? I know mine doesn't feel quite as tight as it did when I got it.

Then there's other things like the top mounts at the front that seem to cause problems. I know some Aussies have also made mention of the steering rack mounts wearing.

Clio Sport 172
hi mate, bit of a while ago I know, but did you find the cure in the end? My 182 has a bit of a 'grey' area when you move the steering wheel a little it doesn't seem to respond very sharply. As mentioned by you though the mid cornering is fine, lots of feedback as expected. There's no knocking or unexpected handling characteristics other than that little grey area, Just wondered if mine would be related to the same issue you had, or it's just a general Clio characteristic which is normal?