ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Exhaust On The Way Out???

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
What are the symptoms of the Clio 182's exhaust beginning to fail? My car has recently turned 40k miles.

For the last 4 or 5 days my Clio 182's exhaust has been making a loud rattling & vibrating type noise when on the move at low revs, i.e. when driving in busy traffic. This seems to be coming from the passenger side of the exhaust.

When the car is started it initially sounds louder than normal but then immediately returns to the standard note. When pulling away from a junction the vibration & rattling is evident but if I pull away at more than 1.5k revs the noise is not there. Also, when driving at A-road and dual carraigeway speeds I cannot hear any difference to the sound of the exhaust.

Any pointers on what to look for or listen for would be appreciated! Just need some better weather so I can get a look underneath at what's going on.

Cheers!

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Those exhaust mounts were changed within the last 2 or 3 months - however the passenger side tailpipe of the exhaust is sitting slightly lower than the driver side tailpipe. Anything that could be causing that?

BMW F21 125d
Standard mounts cant cope with the weight of the standard back boxes. You'll need to beef them up a bit, with some copper pipe or hose pipe, or similar attached with a zip tie. Do a search, quite a few have done it. I have too, but unfortunately have no pics!

Mines was kind of similar and i got a mate to fit new hangers and a new clamp at the cat. Seemed to sort it for the time being until i can fund a new exhaust.

Civic Type S GT
My 182 is on 44,000 miles and my exhaust is knackerd! Put it on a ramp to find 5 holes in it!
Yozza here I come!!! :D

I've got the same noise with mine, i've been told it is due to the baffles corroding. Could this be the case?

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to get the car up on a ramp yesterday and took a look underneath it..............it turns out that the metal rod that holds the exhaust in the exhaust mount had got free from the rubber circle in the centre of the exhaust mount and was resting in the gap below, i.e. it was sitting on the frame of the exhaust mount thus causing the rattle/vibration.

A bit of brute force was all it took to get it back to how it should be..........and it's nice and quiet again. :cool:

182 FF
Was the baffles in my centre silencer causing all the same symptons as yourself, also had a couple of holes but they cause the exhaust to 'blow' rather than rattle.

Milltek was my way forward, best 350 sheets i've spent on mods up to press. sounds amazing when you give it beans

SLK 350
Make a new one

7-inch-round-pan.jpg

Renault componentry in 172/182 is shocking in places, exhausts/steering wheels immediately spring to mind.

b/g 182, meg tourer
to be honest i would be very supprised if any standard 182 exhaust isn't rotten or has pin holes in it. they are quite poor quality. prob time to upgrade to a stainless steel one.