ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Dropped valve

Clio sport 182
Help....182 dropped valve.

My 182 has dropped a valve and I'm looking for a new engine...
Can anyone help with a good reputable company etc to buy a second hand one or possibly a reconditioned engine.

Cheers
Ricky

Sss107

ClioSport Club Member
  Accord Type R

Can anyone help with a good reputable company etc to buy a second hand one or possibly a reconditioned engine.

Cheers
Ricky

Must be something in the air! Mine did the same just over a week ago.. Sod's law I was about 150 miles away from home! Been expensive month so far. As above, they will be around 500 ish. I bought one off a breaker locally for £300. Let's see if it's as good condition as they said!

Clio sport 182
Must be something in the air! Mine did the same just over a week ago.. Sod's law I was about 150 miles away from home! Been expensive month so far. As above, they will be around 500 ish. I bought one off a breaker locally for £300. Let's see if it's as good condition as they said!
Fingers crossed mate.
That's my only worry is how can you guarantee there as good as they say they regarding the mileage etc
But yeah it is Sod's law indeed lol I have a really expensive hobby so it's not very handy having your car drop a valve...

RB Clio 182

Cheers
Ricky

Hi mate, would you sell me the breather plate off your old engine?

dan's cast offs.
got one here, got video of it running in the car. £400 ono. pallet delivery approx £50.

Sss107

ClioSport Club Member
  Accord Type R
Fingers crossed mate.
That's my only worry is how can you guarantee there as good as they say they regarding the mileage etc
But yeah it is Sod's law indeed lol I have a really expensive hobby so it's not very handy having your car drop a valve...

You can't really...mine had 84k with full history etc but I've seen 1*2s with way over 100k with no issues... Renparts have an engine for 600 with 50k on the clocks, I was going to buy it

Clio sport 182
You can't really...mine had 84k with full history etc but I've seen 1*2s with way over 100k with no issues... Renparts have an engine for 600 with 50k on the clocks, I was going to buy it
Exactly it's a bit of a risk I suppose.
I rang renparts up earlier and they don't have one anymore lol....
where did you get your engine from ?

BMW 320d SE
Mine dropped a valve on a track day last year. I picked an engine up on here for £250 that had done 87k. Mike fitted it for me too. It doesn't matter if it's a 172 or 182 engine really either as the 172 engine just needs a minor mod to get it to fit. Good luck with the search!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
There was one for sale on the facebook group which had all compression readings and a leak down carried out before removal, that's what you really want as atleast it gives you more confidence.

Sss107

ClioSport Club Member
  Accord Type R
Exactly it's a bit of a risk I suppose.
I rang renparts up earlier and they don't have one anymore lol....
where did you get your engine from ?
Got mine off a breakers, he was local to me. He's on gumtree. I was alittle apprehensive but showed a video of it running and saw the cars he was breaking. The belts etc are getting re done whilst the engine is out and will be fitted next week.. I'll let you know how it goes as he has another engine which he wants £300 for (74k)

Clio sport 182
There was one for sale on the facebook group which had all compression readings and a leak down carried out before removal, that's what you really want as atleast it gives you more confidence.
Nice one mate I've had a look for it but I can't find it...

Clio sport 182
Got mine off a breakers, he was local to me. He's on gumtree. I was alittle apprehensive but showed a video of it running and saw the cars he was breaking. The belts etc are getting re done whilst the engine is out and will be fitted next week.. I'll let you know how it goes as he has another engine which he wants £300 for (74k)
Fingers crossed Il have to check it out...
what's his name ??

Clio sport 182
I have an engine here that's fine 76k, for £250, or £450 with belts and dephaser done.
Hi mate that sounds really good.
Can I have a contact number please?
Is there any warranty with it and the work on the cambelt and dephaser if I was to have it done ?
Cheers

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That one Dan has is actually the one he's just a bad salesman.
This is what Russel put on the post
172 engine for sale.

172 engine on 76k, perfect runner when removed.
This came from I car I broke, I was planning on fitting it into my 182, but I've decided to also break my spare 172 I have and I'm dropping that complete into my 182 so this is surplus to requirements.

190-200psi compression across all 4, less than 5% leak down.

Belts done in 2014, but no proof anymore as I can't find any paperwork (the came with proof and history but I have a horrible feeling I left it in the glove box when the car went to scrap :( ) but as the engine is currently at SJM I can have Dan Potter put fresh belt and dephaser on for additional cost.

£250, or £450 with belt and dephaser etc. Collection from SJM Automotive in Glastonbury

Clio sport 182
172 engine for sale.

This came from I car I broke, I was planning on fitting it into my 182, but I've decided to also break my spare 172 I have and I'm dropping that complete into my 182 so this is surplus to requirements.

Belts done in 2014, but no proof anymore as I can't find any paperwork (the came with proof and history but I have a horrible feeling I left it in the glove box when the car went to scrap 😧 ) but as the engine is currently at SJM I can have Dan Potter put fresh belt and dephaser on for additional cost.

£250, or £450 with belt and dephaser etc. Collection from SJM Automotive in Glastonbury
Hi thanks for that I'm a bit unsure about putting a 172 engine in as there not quite the same as the 182 so I've heard....

BMW 320d SE
Engines are virtually identical. Mine has a 172 engine in it and you would never know. The majority of the extra horsepower comes from the intake and exhaust manifolds, which you'll already have. The 172 has a different breather so a small pipe has to be plugged somewhere. It's no big deal though. That sounds like a great engine. I'd go for it, if it were me.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hi thanks for that I'm a bit unsure about putting a 172 engine in as there not quite the same as the 182 so I've heard....
No not at all. The only difference is the rocker cover breather which can be swapped over from your current engine. There is no difference in the actual engine it's self. As yours is a 182 the lower inlet will be an "RS" variation so that has to be swapped too. All easy though. Only the ph1s had larger exhaust ports which are actually better than 172/182 although the difference is negligible. I'd be looking around for both 172/182 engine and take which ever offers best value.

This thread may help although there is a bit of old and jumbled information. http://www.cliosport.net/threads/difference-between-172-182-engine.542781/

Clio sport 182
172 engine for sale.

Belts done in 2014, but no proof anymore as I can't find any paperwork (the came with proof and history but I have a horrible feeling I left it in the glove box when the car went to scrap 😧 ) but as the engine is currently at SJM I can have Dan Potter put fresh belt and dephaser on for additional cost.

I think it could be worth a punt then Sounds very good and also at a good price too. Do You know if there is any gaurentee on the engine and the work on the cambelt and dephaser ???

Cheers

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think it could be worth a punt then Sounds very good and also at a good price too. Do You know if there is any gaurentee on the engine and the work on the cambelt and dephaser ???

Cheers
@Dan@SJM will be able to answer all your questions on that! I hope...I'm nothing to do with that specific engine, just trying to help out :)

I can put a 3m warranty on it, it would just have to be returned to me for inspection should anything happen. But I knew the car before we broke it and it was a well serviced car.

Clio sport 182
I can put a 3m warranty on it, it would just have to be returned to me for inspection should anything happen. But I knew the car before we broke it and it was a well serviced car.
Okay that sounds good mate
Have you got any pictures of it I could have a look at please.