ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

difference between 172/182 engine

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I need a definate answer to this one. A friends engine has just let go on his 182 and I'm looking for a replacement for him. I just need to know the actual difference between the two.

Is the head/block the same, I know the 182 had better inlets,exhaust manifold and engine map but will there be any difference in performance If I got a 172 engine and put the manifold/inlets off the 182 on

Hope you guys can help

Sorry I imagine its been asked many times before I did a search but no set in stone answer found

340i
no physical difference on the engine blocks, apart from the "oil breather" or what ever people call it, on the cam cover... but these are interchangeable

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
so the bottom end is the same, is everything the same on the head side?

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
as said the only difference will be that you will not be able to fit the upper inlet from a PH2 to a PH1 because of the oil breather on the cam cover, oh and youll actually have a better head on a Ph1 engine as they had larger exhaust ports!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
as said the only difference will be that you will not be able to fit the upper inlet from a PH2 to a PH1 because of the oil breather on the cam cover, oh and youll actually have a better head on a Ph1 engine as they had larger exhaust ports!
oh really :)

2003 Clio 172
So what is the difference then, software? exhaustery? manifoldization? (yes, i made these up)

Renaultsport Clio 172
Crank is different too, 182's seem to be heavier but better balanced, this is why they are so much smoother than 172's, and 182 is more torquey too (I think all differences play role here) But all in, should be a plug and play if you have the original 182 spares that have differences like cam cover, manis, etc.

BMW M135i
As long as you have the manifolds to swap over, shouldn't be a problem with fitting any 1*2 engine.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Crank is different too, 182's seem to be heavier but better balanced, this is why they are so much smoother than 172's, and 182 is more torquey too (I think all differences play role here) But all in, should be a plug and play if you have the original 182 spares that have differences like cam cover, manis, etc.

How accurate is the info about the crank and smoother power delivery? I thought that was just down to the improved map

I have a 182 bottom end and a 172 Ph1 head, using 172 Ph1 inlets etc. All fine - made 172.4bhp so spot on really. Ive had the crank out of it before, but cant say I noticed much difference to the couple of f*cked Ph1/Ph2 172 ones I have, but I wasnt really comparing to be honest.

Also used a 172 Ph2 head with Ph1 inlets before and that was fine too..

ITB'd MK1
How accurate is the info about the crank and smoother power delivery? I thought that was just down to the improved map

there's definitely a newer version of the crank. The difference it makes in reality is speculation

You can fit a 182 plenum to a 172 engine very easily, you just have to leave out 1 fairly insignificant bolt and block off one of the vacuum take offs (whichever you dont use for the carbon canister)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Is the differences on the 172 on all 172's or just ph1's?

Thanks for all the replies lads its a big help

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Hi guys, sorry to invade this thread, and apologies if this has been done 1000 times, but I've got the opposite problem - my Ph 1 172 has just let go. I thought the belt had snapped as when I went to restart I knew straight away that there was no compression. It was spinning over like there were no spark plugs.

However, when I got back I checked and the cambelt had not snapped - is it possible that it will have slipped and bent valves? I couldn't hear any metallic noises when turning it over.

I then made the mistake of trying to strip off the rocker cover - didn't get very far before I realised I'd gone about it the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm now thinking rather than mess around with this engine, it could be cheaper and quicker to drop in a 2nd hand engine so my question is, will the 182 engine go into my ph1 and mate up with the gearbox / all ancillaries etc? I did find a thread on this but have lost it, the only difference I could see was that breather module that sits on top of the rocker cover? It looks like the casting doesn't have a hole in it on the 182?

Wish I'd registered with this forum when I first got it - still, it looks as though I'll be keeping the Clio for a long time yet if I replace the engine. That's a good thing because bing a ph1 it's getting quite rare and I do love it. Even the wife loves it infact!!!

Thanks,

Nick

ps Chris, I'm in co Durham also, have you had any luck finding an engine? I missed one on ebay :(

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Really? Is that because of larger valves / ports or something?

I just thought I'd go for as new as possible and have locally sourced a 182 engine, apparently 2004 with 54k miles. So would I be able to use my inlet, plenum etc but use the 182 rocker cover? Is the only difference that it hasn't got ahole drilled for a breather or something? Could I not just drill the hole?

Thanks again,

Nick

Lionel Richie
not that easy, milage and age on the engine isn't an issure, just change the belt kits and clutch and sling it in, phs1 172 engine are the quickest IMO

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Good point! I'd be looking at another £500ish for the belt kits fitted, plus clutch on top of the £650 for the engine then though I guess? This would take it to about £1250 but the car is only worth around that - hmmm :-(

I must admit this 172 does seem really quick, there is or at least was a very noticable kick at 5000rpm - so much so that I thought it'd had different cams put into it. Seems much quicker / noisier / more raw than the 182 I remember test driving when they were nearly new.

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Fred, must apologise as I've got 2 threads running on this now! Thanks for the help again though, do you mean £500-£700 stripping it down and selling bits or someone would be willing to pay that sort of money and take it away?

Got to weigh up my options here, the last thing I want to do is try and stick a 2nd hand engine in on a budget for it to go again the following week. Nor do I want to spend £1200 on the car if it's only going to be worth £1200 when it's done!

330i. E30 Touring.
£500-700 collected, depending on modifications, etc.

Buy a second hand Ph1 engine for £350 or less. Whack it in.

Split your old engine and sell for parts.

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
I would if I could find one for that money - I love the car but it's beginning to look tempting to just get what I can for it and save myself a lot of work and money.

It's pretty standard, I spent quite a few quid returning it back to standard, it had been lowered, big exhaust, filter, lights etc. Now it's pretty much as it should be except for richbrook handbrake lever - that matches the pedals and gearknob anyway and a phase 2 airbox. Oh, unfortunately the alloys aren't original either though except the spare.