ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 discs and pads all round. Any suggestions, please?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Having had it confirmed that my original set of discs and pads have long since seen better days, I was after some suggestions for replacements?

I could just reorder original Reno spec parts, but I'm guessing that better spec stuff isn't much more to buy?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. The car has never and will never (for so long as I own it, anyway!) been on track - so megalicious carbon-ceramic-titanium anchors would be overkill. Just something with a bit of extra stopping power on some decent A-roads is what I'm aiming for. :)

Cheers all...

D.

MCS R56
Brembo Carbons seem to be the choice on here with Ferredo DS2500 pads. They squeal though!

I have Black Diamond discs and DS2500 pads and they work very well. Best mod I have made. Dot 5.1 fluid and Goodrich braded hoses.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Brembo HC's (About £60)

EBC green stuff or something? (£35+) Ds2500's are very good but from what you said you wont use them.

ITB BG 182
contact ricerocket mate an get some brembo hc discs with ebc redstuff pads aswell as braid'd lines. He did me a great deal on these for my car an i have found it loads better over OEM.

tiTTy & SV650
I replaced mine with Renault on the rear, Brembo High Carbon and EBC Greenstuff on the front.

Brembo Max look better IMO all are available on ebay from GSF through this shop:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-EBC-G...6QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLIO-172-182-...6QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clio-172-Mega...8QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also available at local German Swedish French places to possibly save on postage, but these were the best proces I could find.

tiTTy & SV650
Stock disks are fine and stock pads are very good as well that what I'd keep from what you've said.

Agree with regards to the front pads and rear setup stick with stock.

Brembo high carbon front discs are cheaper than stock renault though.

Greenstuffs squeel, wish I'd kept standard front pads on mine sometimes.

Mk2 172
Brembo Carbons seem to be the choice on here with Ferredo DS2500 pads. They squeal though!

I have Black Diamond discs and DS2500 pads and they work very well. Best mod I have made. Dot 5.1 fluid and Goodrich braded hoses.

Ds2500 dont squeal if there fitted properly. they probably do with the carbon discs tho cos the discs havent got grooves in them like the max discs which mean that when the pads get very hot or over heat they glaze over and therefore squeal. get the max discs as the grooves will clean up the pads as they pass over the disc and it wont do it from then on!

Mk2 172
the greenstuff squeel due to a shim being incorrectly installed then Fred?

Get rid of the metal shims when fitting the ds2500 cos there too tight with them and make sure you put copper grease on the back of the pads! mine have never squealed!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I cooked my OE front brakes on B-roads so went to BBPT ( bet I get slated for that) but there better than original.

upgraded to 'BBPT 172 & 182 Mintex Xtreme Front Brake pads' & '172 & 182 High Carbon front brake discs'.

Work well from cold but do get increasingly better when warmed up. occasionally a tiny squeal when braking to a stop when reversing

Mk2 172
probably glazed the pad face! have you got grooved discs? if so they are good cos they clean up the pad face :)

tiTTy & SV650
they're not grooved no, just standard high carbons.

Done it since day 1, will have a look tomorrow when it's on the ramp.

Ta

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
^^^^^ - Good point edde - especially keeping the car as a track virgin too.

Hmmmm. I think I'll stick with non-grooved ones then....

Cheers for all the feedback guys! :)

D.

M2 Competition
Lol at edde's pessimistic advice. Upgrading your brake setup from standard is one of the best mods you can do on an rs'.

As dan says, max discs will squeal far less than the standard hc's. Worth going for max's for this reason alone.

Depending on how hard you brake greenstuff fade pretty quickly, even on the road. Not sure what the reds are like though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at edde's pessimistic advice.

As dan says, max discs will squeal far less than the standard hc's. Worth going for max's for this reason alone.

Depending on how hard you brake greenstuff fade pretty quickly, even on the road. Not sure what the reds are like though.

ARGH! Stop making me change my mind - you're confusing me!!! :rasp:

D.

VaVa
Lol at edde's pessimistic advice. Upgrading your brake setup from standard is one of the best mods you can do on an rs'.

I'm not over impressed with the Greenstuffs. They're not bad, but not much better than stock imho.

And mine don't squeal at all with OE discs.

'07 Impreza, 182 sold now
ferredo d2500 pads if you dont mind losing the intial bite, far superior braking when warm tho else brake dust too so cleaner alloys :approve:

Depends on driver, stock are great for most users on here people are over compensating spending money on brakes often when they don't need there other better mods they can do.

Mk2 172
dont buy drilled for gods sake!!!!!!!!! they will crack out from the holes. BIG mistake. grooved only! there better. full stop.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Just upgraded to Brembo Max + Greenstuffs, no extra noise/squealing what so ever and stops a lot better now :)

Im not sure on my greenstuffs, but then the other day i needed to do an emergency brake and they hauled up waaaay sooner than i thought, my discs are brembo max also.

I think i may try a different pad next time, discs look nice through the turinis though lol.

IMHO Brembo Max discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge braided hoses and a decent fluid such as Castrol Response is a good road/track setup.

However, if your only doing road driving its a bit of overkill but I always reckon its better to be able to stop quickly as and when necessary.

LOL

clio 182 FF
My Carbone Lorraine pads came this morning will have them fitted by next week will let everyone know how good or crap they are people have already said they squeal but hey that the price you pay for performance here is a pic of my set up.

DSC00406.jpg

Lionel Richie
you'll have fun cleaning the brake dust off the paint work, and you'll eat the max discs running those pads with them

they'll work well though!

we got through 2pairs of max and 1 pair of HC discs to 1 set of PF97's

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Stock disks are fine and stock pads are very good as well that what I'd keep from what you've said.

Agree with regards to the front pads and rear setup stick with stock.

Brembo high carbon front discs are cheaper than stock renault though.

Greenstuffs squeel, wish I'd kept standard front pads on mine sometimes.

They don't last as long though! :)

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just a quick question if anyone can help.

I've bought some part used DS2500 front pads (only been on a Clio a few weeks) so they're pretty much as new.

Is it worth replacing the front discs for Brembo HC while I'm at it, or shall I just drop the pads in against the exisiting OEM discs and leave it as it is?

The OEM brakes feel fine tbh and a performing well but thought I'd go for the DS2500 seen as they're available at a low price, just wondering whether it's worth upgrading the disc or not at the same time.

My only concern is the existing disc will have some pad glazed on it, so bedding in should be fine as it is as they'll have already been bedded in so to speak; where as if I switch to a new disc, will it cause damage to the disc seen as the pad has already been bedded in? Am I making sense? lol

Cheers